220 Cummins, Backdrop Exhaust Manifold

there are those who look at the mona lisa and see something nice ; looking at these pictures i see perfection. great job . the sound is something never to be duplicated by the new electronic junk of today. like the '60's muscle cars the engine sounds of the old truck engines can't be beat.

• Like 1

I was worried about finding Gaskets for the Jake Brake,, I got in touch with Tom Mahoney at Mahoney & Sons , he is very knowledgeable on the old Cummins, he got me a complete set of gaskets. I wanted the exact Jacobs's Green, ( Just to show them off ) Tom got in touch with Dave Pearman  of Jacobs ,, He gave us the Original color code ( Pantone 348 Green,which my local DuPont store mixed) ,, Many thanks to Both these guys for their interest  in my project ! 

• Like 1

I dealt with Mahoney and Son almost twenty years ago when I put my Jake on. Tom was fantastic to deal with. He was able to get all the parts I needed to get it done, gaskets and a few internal parts I needed to swap out. What blew me a way, was that he loaned me the fixture to grind the rocker arms to accept the Jake. He didn't know me from Adam and mailed it to me!! Then, I got talking to him about adding a T590 turbo to it that came with it. He gave me his retired father's number in Florida to call about the details of doing it. I called him and had a lengthy conversation about adding the "Smoke Kit" to a 220, as he called it. I was fairly new to the hobby, then, and was so amazed they would help a total stranger out so willingly!

I did notice a slight difference in the castings of out two Model 20's, in the recess area between the two cylinders. Yours has a cast flange, where mine does not in that area and the electrical pickups are in different spots. They'll still do the same thing, though. 

IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_2989.jpg

• Like 2

Yes ! Tom also offered me the fixture to grind my rockers! ( I didn’t need it because I used the rocker housing’s from my donor engine) He is a great Guy,, I had only talked to him once before. His Dad is still able to give advice! ( He’s 92 ) He told me the Model 20s were the same color as the engine when they came out new, like you have yours ,, I just like the Jake Green look. I see the difference in the housings . David Strickland has a set with “1963” on them,, I’m going to visit him tomorrow, I’ll look at the casting on them. I was Blessed too grow up around Old trucks , mostly Mack’s , and I’ve got to know Many Good people! 

Mine had that green paint on them, almost like Detroit Diesel color, but were painted over in what was close to a Cummins old gold color. When I did some test spots, I ended up with the color I painted it. It should probably be more of a hue like yours. But, it’s done now.

Did you get any more pictures of his trucks? I love that L cab B77 he has.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking really good, I think you will be good on clearance, I looks like the same angle I had mine when I set the cab to make sure it would clear.  I haven’t worked on mine in about 2 weeks. Hopefully I can get some time this week. I Can’t wait to hear the Backdrop in a pull , it’s been a long since I have heard one. 

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this pic on someone else’s post. Oops! But any way, there’s tons of room and really no chance of interference with the cab. The cab sits a lot higher that I recall. I put a seat in it today and when I raise and lower it, the gearshift’s are a lot lower than a standard B cab. Almost as if I need extensions on them. 
Moving right along, though, and so much to hook up yet!!

672D7E0B-1034-47BD-A187-5D8B3AEE182C.jpeg

A19A9390-6634-4DE4-8947-5257C45029B5.jpeg

• Like 2

I may have set the cab on with no rubber mounts, thinking if it clears without, it should be even better with mounts,, but I still think the frame mounts are higher on the B73 , I’ve never compared a LT , but looking at the pictures I think they are higher also. I’ve found a lot of changes over the years in what I thought would be the same on L Cabs .