Tip Turbine

mrsmackpaul

• 2 weeks later...

Well things get out of control very quickly 

Sometimes we must really question just how sane we are 

Seed I was already or perhaps had already test drove the truck but sat on a 20 liter oil drum

I felt likeI could of been a contender for super trucker Saturday sitting on the oil drum

However my gear stick wasn't touching the roof so I  wouldn't of got a place20210220_121623.jpg

So everything was fine so I chucked the floor and seats back in

So onto the power steering leak on of the input shaft on the box

Pull it apart, go to get a seal and speedi sleeve and none are there so order and pay for them and wait

While I'm waiting I decide to sort some air leaks out 

Well this quickly snow balls into a dog chasing his tail type of deal

Anyway the long and short of it is I changed one relay valve and the other pisss, fixed that and the gear box goes hisss

I'm sure most of us have been here so I add a few more joiners as there was still space in some of the air lines 🤔

Well onto the low loader, low boy or float as I call them 

Paul

The front folding part of the goose neck had new pins and was line board etc at a guess 15 years ago

Cost a fortune, as normal I was quoted ex amount of dollars and it trippled by pick up time

They ballsed up the centers on some of the pivots and it had to go back, they argued the point but when it was folded flat on the ground the front was still 6 inches off the ground

They found that a bit hard to argue 

Anyway the pivots were all machined to a very fine tolerance and as it doesn't get used a lot it the grease in the pivots were getting quite stiff

So I have a doo hickie made up out of a old air tank and half fill it with diesel 

I remove the grease nipple (zerks I think you funny Yanky lot call them) anyway remove the grease nipples and clean out as much of the dry grease as I can with a drill bit

I then screw a small air line fitting in and force diesel thru

Then operat the goose neck a few times and let diesel flow on thru 

Then pump grease in until the new grease starts to appear

Anyway it took a day to do the 30 odd grease nipples 

received-1416580198677536.jpg

So then it was time for a bath for Mrs Mack so I took her out into the street and propped one side up on the gutter to give Mrs Mack a good bath 

20210222-191731.jpg20210222-191749.jpg

• Like 1

While greasing the float a maxi chamber started leaking 

Thinking it had perished with oil from the compressor I decided it would be wise to change all 4

I also pulled the slack adjusters off as the spring loaded locking doo hickies weren't always working right

So whileI had them off I cleaned them up and pumped diesel thru them whilst spinning them with the rattle gun

I did this until the old grease stopped coming out,  I  then re assembled them and greased

This worked perfectly and made a huge difference 

The down side of these new repairs was the gear box started leaking again so after asking in a few places about the correct colours for air lines and getting no answers I rang around trying to chase up some coloured air line

This is quite the challenge in Australia 

Anyway finally found a couple of colours in 20 meter rolls so ordered them

They have got lost in transit some how

So while I wait I'll give Mrs Mack a good wash so park her on the float

All is going great and I can reach so much further and easier than before

And then while washing a fuel tank Mrs Mack sprung a leak and diesel was coming out in a steady stream 

BUGGER ME so the Princess comes and lends me a finger to cover the hole and drain the tank and remove t the tank

received-806226863305197.jpg

So will weld the tank up tomorrow and refit  and finish washing Mrs Mack 

Paul

• Like 1

Paul;

I never seen where you replied to the transmission you have when asking about the lines. I'm certain I have a diagram for the hose routing but I've not seen colored lines in the application myself. However, all my stuff, and stuff I've worked on is older now and all lines are black.....

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I know how they run etc but was more thinking if I was to replace the air lines I would like to put the correct colours on

Anyway getting 1/4 coloured air line by the meter is a challenge so the colours really don't matter

Paul

No problem. Thought you were going to wholesale replace them and were looking for a diagram and wanted to furnish the correct one. Colors don't much matter to me with wiring or air lines.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.