E7 timing

John3406

5 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

That's what I thought too. That's why I used 5 degrees as an example... Now I wish I had done a few dozen more of these in the past...  He's getting good help here... jojo

Well i finally got everything all bolted on today. Radiator etc. Fired it up . It sounds really good. I only ran it about 15 to 20 minutes. Wondering if i need to set it a 5 deg or leave it at 7.5. I want to get it out and drive it and haul a couple loads but its below zero temps here.

45 minutes ago, fjh said:

warm it up  to temp check for leaks ! Then  Work its ass off  Best Breakin!  Full load and some Steep Grades!

Time tested ! It seats everything properly! With the timing as it is thou , Keep an Eye on the water temp and the pyro!

That would be normal operation for me😉 run hard but not abused if you know what i mean

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fjh said:

warm it up  to temp check for leaks ! Then  Work its ass off  Best Breakin!  Full load and some Steep Grades!

Time tested ! It seats everything properly! With the timing as it is thou , Keep an Eye on the water temp and the pyro!

And remember it could have a leak some were but all engines i ever overhaul i told them same than

glenn akers

And also retorquing the head bolts sure will not hurt anything but i do not.The engine i am running i did not but did rerun the valves.The old engines i started out working on has a fiber head gasket so a retorque after a week was needed.But the newer engines like a e6 or e7 has a metal fire ring holding compression only.Same way as a cat or cummins.But as i said it will not hurt anything.On the old end 673 we would back off each bolt one at a time and retorqued and you would see there was the nut would advance some before the torque value was reached.I have never seen that with a fire ring.

glenn akers

I already found 2 small leaks. One on the water line going to water filter housing and the jumper tube from head to head was leaking a little fuel. I probably will retorque the heads. Not sure if its really necessary to loosen one at a time tho. Or  just run thru them

18 hours ago, John3406 said:

I already found 2 small leaks. One on the water line going to water filter housing and the jumper tube from head to head was leaking a little fuel. I probably will retorque the heads. Not sure if its really necessary to loosen one at a time tho. Or  just run thru them

The main thing is to do it dead cold how ever you retorque I do as you do and just run over them again in order!

• Like 1