A Search for New Front Brake Drums

I’m hoping someone here may have some insight/expertise in helping me find a pair of front brake drums for my project. I’m switching from 22” Dayton/Spokes to Budd hubs. Front Axle is a FA-507, with front brakes. The donor hubs came off a truck with the same front axle, but without front bakes. I have a source for the wheel studs, I need help looking for a part number or a source that might help locate them. I found a picture of the the same hubs I have, but with drums, on a truck. I know something is out there, I just need to find it. I’ll post a few pics of what I have and the picture I found of the hub with the drum I need.

44D87394-5EC7-4274-84FF-BB7371BA8D96.jpeg

714C7ABC-A69C-4479-9986-60E45AFE772E.jpeg

5584E0A2-8028-410F-BDE6-C0924B1F32A4.jpeg

8E92C18A-6A18-4666-9381-3042D6FE5490.jpeg

Edited by mattb73lt

Matt;

What size front brakes are you running on the truck? I have a couple B's on Budd hubs but they may be heavier than a FA-507, or FA-5071 axles as both were end dump trucks in a former life.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

36 minutes ago, Rob said:

Matt;

What size front brakes are you running on the truck? I have a couple B's on Budd hubs but they may be heavier than a FA-507, or FA-5071 axles as both were end dump trucks in a

37 minutes ago, Rob said:

Matt;

What size front brakes are you running on the truck? I have a couple B's on Budd hubs but they may be heavier than a FA-507, or FA-5071 axles as both were end dump trucks in a former life.

The shoes take two 4”X8” pads. The surface area of the drums is 4 1/4”X16” . The drums need to be right around 9 1/2” deep, from the back of the hubs to the edge of the drum. Part #’s on both hubs is: 6QJ439 P1

938462BE-E343-4A0B-930A-B78BABA34C0E.jpeg

6CD406EB-907C-4D62-BBC3-B89CA5D54F6A.jpeg

0528B703-51B1-42A9-B4E2-97A763FCBD78.jpeg

Looks like 15"X3.5" but could be something else. Just seen your text by expanding the window and you have 16"X4" shoes. That gives me something to go by. I have access to older books covering the B series for parts in the aftermarket, but they are not mine so need to travel for access.

I should be able to look tomorrow as I'll be out to the shop.

Edited by Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Matt;

Both of my trucks have 15"X3.5" drums which are too small for your application. One is a FA-505 axle, the other a FA-517.

Sorry I can't make it work for you.

Rob

• Like 1

I've got a pair of hubs and drums that might fit. Off an FA722 that came out of a B model. I used the backing plates but the hubs and bearings wouldn't fit my LTH spindles. 16" x 4 1/2" 1369115230_IMG_32121.thumb.JPG.2ee738a7579bd54438897dea478d29f2.JPG

• Like 2

Matt;

Get me the dimensions of your spindles, or your original drum numbers as I have contacts down south whom visit/overnight with me fairly often and they have parts many times. Once this Covid drama train finally ceases riding the rails and we get back to the god given right to attend trucks shows, I'll start traveling out east again and could throw them into whatever I'm driving or riding.

Far too much work expended in that chassis to give up now as shiny polished wheels would really set it off nicely.

Don't prematurely rule out mackaholic's post as freight through Fastenal on a pallet really is quite attractive as is Greyhound for heavy items. Get some numbers so I can research what you need. Hopefully mackaholic will send the drum numbers to me and I'll work that angle too.

Rob

I haven’t ruled it out, yet. I’d like to exhaust looking for a pair of drums first. I don’t have any drums to start with, as these had none. But they will accept ones once I get the extended wheel studs.

I’ll get you the spindle measurements. I need to mock a spindle and hub up anyway to make take more accurate measurements. 

6 hours ago, Rob said:

Matt;

Get me the dimensions of your spindles, or your original drum numbers as I have contacts down south whom visit/overnight with me fairly often and they have parts many times. Once this Covid drama train finally ceases riding the rails and we get back to the god given right to attend trucks shows, I'll start traveling out east again and could throw them into whatever I'm driving or riding.

Far too much work expended in that chassis to give up now as shiny polished wheels would really set it off nicely.

Don't prematurely rule out mackaholic's post as freight through Fastenal on a pallet really is quite attractive as is Greyhound for heavy items. Get some numbers so I can research what you need. Hopefully mackaholic will send the drum numbers to me and I'll work that angle too.

Rob

Rob,

These are Dayton drums, casting number 120129. 

• Like 1

Matt,

I had pretty good luck on the Accuride website https://www.accuridecorp.com/sites/default/files/resources/2019-09/WE1.011 Rev 2 Gunite Brake Drum Products Catalog.pdf. It's little tough to find but this product catalog is great for trying to ID drums. The one I needed was obsolete as well so I ended up finding one that was the same diameter and  mounting bolt circle. I did have to machine about 1/2" off the open end of the drum and drill out the bolt holes but it worked. Good Luck!

Brad

• Like 2

Hey, thanks for those!! I did see that Webb Wheel site on this site. Played with the dimensions I have and saw that I might get somewhere with it. I’m going to re-measure everything to tighten everything up and I saw I need a few more to complete it. I’m optimistic something may be close and like you did just have it machined a little to make it work.

• Like 1

So, I made all my measurements for the spindle and the basic size I need for the drums. Plus the studs I need, which will have to be 1/2” longer, to accept the drums. Let the search begin!

07DFB00A-5DD2-4D0F-B896-D2DA2492061C.jpeg

54E1FBF1-EA67-4F78-826F-8F752979D21B.jpeg

6D503AEC-D53C-41E9-830D-8F30EFCEAC39.jpeg

Edited by mattb73lt

Well, I think I found what I need.  Webb Wheel 64468F. They look like a direct fit.  Their site, with their interchange page is a home run. Much easier to use than other sites.There doesn't seem to be a cross to another manufacturer with the same dimensions or needing some major machining to fit. I'll keep my fingers crossed until they arrive. They weren't cheap either, but if they do fit, it'll save in time and money.

Also found another vendor, BWP Industries, that had the lengthened double-ended front wheel studs in needed to mount the drums. They also had all the inner and outer nuts I needed, too.

https://www.webbwheel.com/tcpdf/examples/drum_detail_pdf.php?dn=64468F

So a few suggestions and some internet hunting and it looks like this hunt is done. Thanks to those who chimed in!!

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Sure like to hear how this turns out.

I’ll post something once the parts arrive. Prepping the front and rear hubs for the new wheel studs, now. Parts should be in in a few weeks. I had to order the drums through Fleetpride, as I can’t get them directly from Webb.

Looks like I'm late with my input but I would toss it into the basked since it possibly could be of help. The hub style on the red B model in the picture looks very close or even the same as my R-model has. Also alu hub with back side mounted narrow drum. The truck was built in 1988 and the shoe width was 4" as the memory serves. The point of difference is the berings size. I don't know what you have inside the hub but the spindle that fits my hubs is thicker being 2-5/8 for the inner bearing and 1-3/4 for the outer one.

Vnukovo08.2013.00398_resize.JPG

Vnukovo08.2013.00400_resize.JPG

Vnukovo08.2013.00399_resize.JPG

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Those hubs look pretty close. There is a pretty big step on them, by the inner bearing inside the drum. But, that what I’ve been looking for and if my measurements were any good, I think I found the drum. My initial measurements were way off, as I was ballparking them. I get them tightened up pretty good and cam up with that Webb drum.

Edited by mattb73lt
On 2/1/2021 at 10:28 PM, mattb73lt said:

Well, I think I found what I need.  Webb Wheel 64468F.

https://www.webbwheel.com/tcpdf/examples/drum_detail_pdf.php?dn=64468F

Are you sure they're a correct fit? The table tells they're 16.5" ID with 6.25 shoe width. Look like a rear drums to me. Hope I'm wrong.

On 2/7/2021 at 2:53 PM, Vladislav said:

Are you sure they're a correct fit? The table tells they're 16.5" ID with 6.25 shoe width. Look like a rear drums to me. Hope I'm wrong.

It should. I'm not too worried about the excess brake surface area, it'll only be about an 1". If you still have that drum/hub, could you see if there's a part number on the drum?

6 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

It should. I'm not too worried about the excess brake surface area, it'll only be about an 1". If you still have that drum/hub, could you see if there's a part number on the drum?

Hmm... I will try to check it out tomorrow. The issue is the drums were rusty I suppose they're original to 1988 truck and the hubs were not separated.