Old School Mack Dump Truck & Pups (Mack 6 speed)

very trouble free set up, but not a good transmission for a pup, to wide of gear ratios. but they were used for alot of years.   terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

We ran them in semis grossing 80-85k depending on how you got loaded.    Let the Maxidyne do it’s thing and lug is down into it’s sweet spot with the torque.    If you think you have to keep the R’s up all the time you will always be tach’ed out.   Those guys with the bigger power and more gears may be ahead of you, but I really doubt they will get an extra load on you at the end of the day.  

• Like 2

I have been having this discussion with a friend.  He has a 94 RB mechanical E7 300 that’s cranked up and a 2060 trans.   Just thinks it’s a pooch cuz the large cats pull away at 50mph.  He wanted to change all kinds of shit thinking he was gonna go faster.   All I said was “boy you like shift gears and lose money”. 

The  RD has a 7 speed.let em pull away. Watch the fuel gauge move.that em6 moves along .a little slow but I ain't shifting that much.lol.slow and steady wind the racelol

In '99, I drove for a construction co. in Maine for only 2 years,, But I drove '77-'97 Mack's... My favorite was the '79 long framed RD tractor, with a tri-axle framed dump... That tranny was so versitile, and multi-speed reverse was very cool for backing on svc roads around the job site.. I also drove the X-107 twin stick.. another multi speed reverse tranny in a tri-axle dump truck.. I learned to respect that tranny... after that --- no more stopping in the middle of the intersection, to start over.. Bullet proof and proven.... It may be slow, but it will Pull!!.. jojo..

• Like 1

As far as i am concerned the best trans mack ever built was the overdrive 12 spd, i put one in a DM with 4.17 rears, best combo ever, and it was a runner too.    terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!!   Great post's.. It brings me back...... The 12 spd. I drove was in a 78 RD tractor. The deep reduction switch was up in the dash... Looking back. That was a real Mack, I would love to have one... Jojo

• Like 1