Parts availability for older trucks?

can you find out when the cam has been done? oil pump and rods and mains? Check overboard breather output when running... You know.... theres a bunch to look at, 600,000 isnt super high, but..... anyway... good luck on the choice and the risk,  jojo

• Like 1

Paul nailed it right on the head. You get into thinking one thing and wind up getting another. Just like everyone else said, high mileage isn’t a huge deal if it’s been maintained reasonably. Whenever you go look or drive a truck just make sure you get it good and warm and keep an eye on oil temperatures and water temps. An older mack will hold together and if you learn to work on it then you’ll be alright. Just keep you some money set aside for repairs because there WILL be breakdowns. Whether the trucks got 5,000 miles or 5 million miles. It’ll work out like it’s supposed to 

4 hours ago, tjc transport said:

steel.  the weight difference is not enough to matter. 

one chunk of asphalt in the millings pile is all it takes to poke a hole in an aluminum body. 

The weight difference doesn’t really matter. But I found a clean truck down south, no rust which is what I want, but it’s got an alum bed, it was previously used for paving. 

3 hours ago, Offroadingrlife said:

The weight difference doesn’t really matter. But I found a clean truck down south, no rust which is what I want, but it’s got an alum bed, it was previously used for paving. 

you can always bolt some sheet  steel to the floor.   terry:MackLogo: