1948 International KB-7

Joey Mack

54 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

no pinion shaft that i`ve ever seen has only three teeth on it . check the number stamped on the yoke end that will tell you exactly what ratio you have .

that's what I said (lol)   or was trying to say 

yes sir's..... what I mean is ... the yoke rotated a little over 3 1/4 turns to make the wheel rotate once. That's how I got 3.30:1..  ish.. I will still look for numbers on the yoke.. Jojo

On 12/27/2020 at 11:37 AM, Joey Mack said:

Hello, Quick farms... I raised one wheel and marked it and the yoke. I turned the wheels and got a small bit more than 3 1/4 turns. I figured it would be about a 3.30:1 ratio, but another "poster" said I need to double that number....   So that would be 6.60:1.... Any thoughts? I cant imagine it would have highway gears...

Yes with only one tire in the air you have to rotate the tire two revolutions to get the gear ratio.

if you don’t want to change the drivetrain you have a 45 mph truck there.

If you put 9-20’s on it and a overdrive, from a large pickup, you will have a nice local toy.

if you want to haul a camper then it needs a drivetrain swap.

For my Chevy I am looking for a K30 and doing a body swap. My friends think I should put an LS motor in it 

Very solid looking truck.

Might look at maybe a flatbed with some gin poles on it?  That might come in handy to move stuff around(if you have big stuff).  The flat bed would give you plenty of room to haul things too.

• Thanks 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Thanks quickfarms... for clearing up my Q's.... It already has new 9.00' s on it.. factory 5spd..... To be honest, I'm done going fast anymore... I like low geared power, and it's a very cool looking truck.... Jojo

Thanks freightrain,  I figure that's what I'm going to do.. I will take it to the grocery store... Butt I also get pallets of truck parts for my business, I can certainly  do better with this one. I have a '77  C-30 flat bed, 350 c.i.d., granny gear 4spd... It serves me well, but the KB, well anyway... Thanks , Jojo

Another thing to consider for a little more speed would be a two speed rear. I had a '48 Diamond T that topped out at just over 50 mph. I found a vacuum operated two speed that got it up to about 58 mph. It also gives better gear spacing.  Do you know if your five speed has OD?

I saw that they made them with 2spd rears...  Once I get it on the road, i will see what it can do, I'm guessing no more than 55-60 mph, but if the low range power is there, that will be fine too... The G.V.W. is #16,500,,  I do not know if it's an O.D. tranny yet... I haven't done anything to it since I got it.. I've been busy with business. But since I posted this, I've been getting Itchy!! 🤫..I will get under it and look at the tranny for I.D...Thanks, Jojo

Well, I tried to find tranny I.D..... All I found was: 3-4-R.... and, 95903-H... I tried to find them on the Inter-web, but no luck... I need to bid on a svc manual on E-Bay.... Anyone have any ideas about these numbers?  Jojo

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Carb kit will be here in the morning. now i'm searching for a brake master cyl.  I may put a 1ton chevy one on there with 2 chambers.  I dont intend on working this truck at all, so I think I can bypass the old rusted vacuum booster and use the chevy master cyl. I would appreciate any opinions. i will look to see if there is a uni-fit booster master combo that fits in small spaces..... Thanks for the support. Jojo

good thing i'm hungry... I have words to eat.... "Welcome to Old truck repair"  as I have said to others....$300.00 for the correct master cyl. at Amazon of all places...

a popular booster/master swap on the ford falcon forums was a chevy geo unit. 

it was small enough to fit under the fender braces where the old "mayonnaise jar" master was. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

unfortunately that i can't remember. 

and the servers did a crash and burn, so we lost 21 years of forum info. 

so i can't even go back to look it up.

i did just google it and see it is the geo metro unit that fits. has a 7 inch booster. 

here is a short video with the parts needed for the 64-65 falcon:

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

i looked up a metro unit...  thats cool thanks again..  I'm going to bypass the old system and get the lines set up to hook to a new type of set up. I have a lot of room to do that work. there is already new lines and I think the wheel cyls are new too.. of course when  i put fluid pressure to them, the truth will come out.... :)

Well..... I backed it out of the shop today after re-building the carb..  the hand brake works good, :) I tried to shift gears but... she aint ready for that yet,,,, or is it me whos not ready.. anyway, I need to get it tuned so it runs better, it shut off a couple times but fired right up. I also have to put a resistor on the coil, its getting hot.  this truck is positive ground, i wonder if i need to wire the coil backwards? any thoughts?  i have no practical knowledge of positive ground wiring, Jojo

• 7 months later...