Evolution of the E7 Engine

kevgibbs

Question

Can anybody give me somewhat of a detailed history of the E7 engine? I'm more concerned about how the fuel system on the engine changed over time. I'm aware that a full mechanical engine was made and that a ECM controlled engine was made. However I've recently found another model for sale that uses the mechanical fuel injection pump but utilizes what looks like a electronic stepping motor to run the throttle. We have a full mechanical E7 in our fleet and we're convinced that it is the best engine to ever roll off of Macks assembly line. I would just like some history on how the E7 changed over time and what models proved to be the most powerful and service free over time. 

I dont support deletes, they only cause big trouble later,, and I still dont know what engine you have....  aset-c or aset-i???  not enough info,and dont know what you are trying to accomplish...

I don’t know exactly either what aset engine it is it has a grey engine it’s all I know, what I’m trying to accomplish is get more power it seems real sluggish when going up bridges loaded I under stand that the weight on the truck isn’t light by any means (18 tons) but surely there is something I can do to get more power out of it 

10 hours ago, Mackch613 said:

I don’t know exactly either what aset engine it is it has a grey engine it’s all I know, what I’m trying to accomplish is get more power it seems real sluggish when going up bridges loaded I under stand that the weight on the truck isn’t light by any means (18 tons) but surely there is something I can do to get more power out of it

An ASET AI engine will have a plane jane, conventional looking turbo on it. An ASET AC engine will have a big silver piece of garbage hanging off the side of the turbo. It is the variable geometry actuator. This is the easiest way to glance at and ASET engine and tell the difference. If it was factory build as a dump truck it will most likely have an AI engine but a CH613 was typically a road tractor, which mostly had AC engines. Maybe yours was originally a tractor and made into a dump? Sorry but these engines don't have "lots of power" and "seem real sluggish" even when they are working properly. Its just the nature of their size and design. No matter what you do to them they will not feel like they have lots of power. I'm not saying you don't have a problem with yours but don't expect a night and day difference in drivability after "tweaking" it.

There is the "Logging Dog Dead Dog Remediation" post on here for the ASET AI engines. Involves replacing camshaft with a pre ASET cam, changing exhaust manifold with pre ASET, as well as turbo and exhaust pipe. All basically to remove the Backpressure feature, allowing the engine to actually breath. If you have an ASET AC, well... That sucks, not a lot you can do there.

ASET AI is probably the only Mack engine that takes a "delete" well.

Edited by JoeH

Hey JoeH, Thanks for that last post.  I have been asked several times if I could put the E-Tech cam in their ASET I engines and I felt I could but didnt know how.  I hope I find that old posting to read more..  thanks again ,,Jojo