Non Union shop

david wild

So Maxi girl what have you done ?  My life has been extraordinary and I sometimes wonder how and why it's been me, I have shared everything and helped many but as I get older I now see there are some that do not deserve helping because it is wasted energy to do so, and some do not appreciate what they get so now I help those that have interest and will go on and lead a life that may some day match mine, to them I give 100%, and you ???? 

I have always been a big Louisville fan.  We have two of them as mixers.  Handy as a pocket on a shirt.   Against my brothers best wishes, if I find a nice spec’d L9000 daycab, I’m going to own it.  Personally it would have to be a series 60 Detroit, on Hendrickson 4 bag and about 190-200 wheelbase.   Would be a sweet gravel truck.  

David, nice of you to preserve those old warbirds. Hopefully young folks will learn something useful from them, not the glorification of war but it's terrible cost, to be avoided if possible but we still need to be ready to defend our nation if peaceful solutions evade us.

I didn't have an airline pilot dad, mine was a WW2 vet who worked at the VA while working on a pharmacy degree. He had to drop out in his 4th year and never got to become a pharmacist, made a better living for a while at least as a "detail man". I paid my own way through college while driving truck, tried to enlist but couldn't pass the physical due to congenital disability. I can point to statutes I wrote in the law books and helped start the first dislocated worker program back in the 80s.

And while I love restoring old vehicles and have some completed and in the works projects in my shop, restoring warbirds is pretty much a boys club and while I probably learned enough to pass ground school before I could get a driver's license, I could never afford flight school. So no point in my switching from ground to air in my 70s even though I could now afford it.

Many know the B-29, but few have heard of the second generation B-50. Note the 700-gallon (2,650-litre) external under-wing fuel tanks.

Powered by 28-cylinder 3,500 horsepower Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major engines, 79 B-50A's were built, 45 B-50B's and 222 B-50D's.

Top speed was 380-385 mph, versus the B-29's 358 mph.

2 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

David, nice of you to preserve those old warbirds. Hopefully young folks will learn something useful from them, not the glorification of war but it's terrible cost, to be avoided if possible but we still need to be ready to defend our nation if peaceful solutions evade us.

I didn't have an airline pilot dad, mine was a WW2 vet who worked at the VA while working on a pharmacy degree. He had to drop out in his 4th year and never got to become a pharmacist, made a better living for a while at least as a "detail man". I paid my own way through college while driving truck, tried to enlist but couldn't pass the physical due to congenital disability. I can point to statutes I wrote in the law books and helped start the first dislocated worker program back in the 80s.

And while I love restoring old vehicles and have some completed and in the works projects in my shop, restoring warbirds is pretty much a boys club and while I probably learned enough to pass ground school before I could get a driver's license, I could never afford flight school. So no point in my switching from ground to air in my 70s even though I could now afford it.

There it is, never mind the fact that my father flew both Korea and Vietnam and that he got shot down more than once which he won't talk about, you have to make a point that he was a Airline Pilot, why does that matter unless your jealous ?? he made my brother and I work, he grew up poor and made sure we knew how to work, we don't glorify war what we do is help Museums, the Smithsonian has many planes and almost all are about being first at something, first around the world, first non stop across US, first non stop around the world.

Funny thing you say something about we are a boys club the other 3 people that are permitted to move aircraft for the Smithsonian are women ?? I get the over size but they move everything else ??  and they are real good at it.

I guess I was lucky to have parents that made something of themselves and won't apologize for it, but we were taught to swim or sink and I can swim real well so enjoy your well earned retirement and don't criticize those who wish to do more with there lives, we are having fun.

32 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Dave they are some incredible photo's and stories

Paul 

You might understand, how many times have you heard of importing a truck from another country to work and then return it home, since we were working for the Ghana Government they allowed us to bring the Ford and if you know anything about Africa I was also allowed to drive it and that does not happen very often, white guy driving a truck in a black country that made news.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Dave they are some incredible photo's and stories

Paul 

Well said paul.

David You've lead a very Interesting & Full Life.

Kudos to you for you Success. I've no doubt It entailed a lot of hard Work.

As My Late Grandfather used to always say..The Only Place Success comes before Work, is in The Dictionary.

• Like 2

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

I do fly I am the only US citizen that is a crew member on the Antonov 225 based in the Ukraine,  but look at trucking where can one person go out and experience what a place is like other than right there on the ground, I spent a year in Ireland, what a great place, went to Dar es Salaam Tanzania what not a great place, I too like Obama have heard the morning prayer played over loud speakers and yes it is quite a experience, went to Bob Marley's house in Ghana and then later met his son only because I could describe his dads house, do you know what it feels like to walk through a Airport and every pilot and crew knows you just came off the worlds largest aircraft, they know you are the best of the best, a true honor, you hold your head high and be proud of what you do,  next week we move a chamber used to train pilots for high altitude flight, that required 2 background checks due to it coming from and going to a highly restricted area, some of our best pilots and Astronauts may have trained in this very chamber, being built in 1953 it has seen many of our best pilots, the money has been good but the doing has been a honor of a life time and the people you meet from all over the world is beyond description, I have led a charmed life and cherish every day and some day's are not so good but you can't just take all the good and leave the bad for someone else.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, david wild said:

I never could understand why Ford wanted to change the L cab, should done like Mack and galvanized it, LTL were great trucks and the L and LT were just as good as any truck on the road at the time, dumb mistake by Ford cause what they replaced it was junk.

Couple of new LTL's at dealer.  These were 350 Cummins, 12 frts, 44  rears.  Pulled 11,800 gal tanks that had 50,000 lb susp. Mass (as did RI) had this overweight permit system that did not follow bridge  formula.  So the tandems on the trailer were set forward.  Permits were 99,000 lb on five axles but tolerance allowed gross of 104,000.  And no bridge formula so trailer axles were forward making for decent maneuverability when delivering to some of the older stations.

Louisvilles were great value.

6C49257A-DA4A-4C5C-8904-7A9592A5E7FA.jpeg

• Like 1

re·spect
/rəˈspekt/

a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

Excellent David!  As always, respect is earned and not granted.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.