NAPA know how.....?

Mack Technician

Wow now even their filters are junk. I quit buying anything electronic from NAPA years ago due to the parts either hadn’t worked right from the box or failed within a few months. At the time I talked to a guy who owned a logging company and he told me he quit doing business with NAPA for the same reason. Icing on the cake for me was the local NAPA store tried to get me to sign some phony document that looked like he made at home releasing his store from having to replace anymore Napa gold lifetime warranty products. I told him to pound sand and he refused to honor the warranty. He gets last laugh because the next closest Napa to me is about 45 miles away one way. So now I order parts from eBay and Amazon. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

4 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

Wow now even their filters are junk. I quit buying anything electronic from NAPA years ago due to the parts either hadn’t worked right from the box or failed within a few months. At the time I talked to a guy who owned a logging company and he told me he quit doing business with NAPA for the same reason. Icing on the cake for me was the local NAPA store tried to get me to sign some phony document that looked like he made at home releasing his store from having to replace anymore Napa gold lifetime warranty products. I told him to pound sand and he refused to honor the warranty. He gets last laugh because the next closest Napa to me is about 45 miles away one way. So now I order parts from eBay and Amazon. 

I doubt napa corporate would be happy with his solution to your problems.

I've had similar experience with NAPA- Used to be great service with lotsa American made parts at reasonable prices. Living out here in the country 20 miles from the NAPA store it was nice to go online, order the part, and pick it up next day. Then the great NAPA store franchisee left town, leaving me with a couple other NAPA franchisees who couldn't or wouldn't do online orders. Finally got another franchisee to open up in the same town 20 miles away, but they group all their online inventory with their other store 50 miles away so you don't know which store has what in stock.

30 years ago I would help out a friend of mine he had a small car repair shop and if he took something in that stumped him I would get a call. He used napa parts almost exclusively the stuff was very good back then but the old story today the part quality has dropped to the point I shop anywhere but napa.

• Like 1

Looks like someones oil filter adapter fitting is stuck in it?  I didn't think the box was tall enough to have that in their too?  Did someone else get their hands on it before you?

The very first thing I do when buying a filter(from any store) is open the box and inspect the threads and make sure it had an o-ring seal.  I've never been burnt, but have heard horror stories.  I'm pretty much exclusive to Motorcraft filters.

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I'm fine with any of them. They all sell sufficient  junk and it's all from the same pot of distributors. Look on Rock Auto and you'll have access to all the venders NAPA, O'Reilly, Carquest, etc, use.

The only thing that makes me smile is Mann+ Hummel acquiring Wix. Now I can get German made Liehberr filters, at 1/4 of the price of OEM, from NAPA.

I've only been stung a few times on parts from NAPA, but I keep using them personally by buying cash under the Corporate account. Saves 10-15% across the board, can't complain.....it's cooperative, the more you buy under one account the lower the markup for all users. Last zinger was a rebuilt alternator that lasted 6 hours 3 years ago and now this filter.  

Edited by Mack Technician

13 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

Looks like someones oil filter adapter fitting is stuck in it?  I didn't think the box was tall enough to have that in their too?  Did someone else get their hands on it before you?

That's part of each filter, it adapts it to a John Deere transmission filter housing on an 824K. Sad thing is someone manually installed the nipple with it's ribbon attached. It's Affinia Wix "Made in USA" right on filter.

In the big picture I could have gotten this same filter from any vendor who sells Wix, happens to be NAPA this round. The transmission is around $35-$40K and four days for two guy to swap. You have to pull the whole damn cab off the front loader. Glad my guy caught it.   

Edited by Mack Technician

50 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

I'm fine with any of them. They all sell sufficient  junk and it's all from the same pot of distributors. Look on Rock Auto and you'll have access to all the venders NAPA, O'Reilly, Carquest, etc, use.

The only thing that makes me smile is Mann+ Hummel acquiring Wix. Now I can get German made Liehberr filters, at 1/4 of the price of OEM, from NAPA.

I've only been stung a few times on parts from NAPA, but I keep using them personally by buying cash under the Corporate account. Saves 10-15% across the board, can't complain.....it's cooperative, the more you buy under one account the lower the markup for all users. Last zinger was a rebuilt alternator that lasted 6 hours 3 years ago and now this filter.  

We use donaldson  as a second line and sell them for those who don't want to spend the bucks on genuine Mack I have seen them come with threads not there ,However seen it happen once on the Mack filters too! Shit happens! Automation!

They used to be good for hard to find antique parts ,, knowledgeable counter help, and mostly sold American products... I’m sure all that is gone...I usually use autozone but all I ever need are cleaning supplies .... bob

We have 3 late model everyday drivers I have them all worked on local reputable garage..... too many other things to do around here mowers , Mack and honeydoos But I have noticed we hardly have any independent auto parts stores anymore with the big machine shop last one was gone here in Reno around 20 years ago

On 7/28/2020 at 7:52 AM, fjh said:

We use donaldson  as a second line and sell them for those who don't want to spend the bucks on genuine Mack I have seen them come with threads not there ,However seen it happen once on the Mack filters too! Shit happens! Automation!

Is OE Mack staying competitive? They use to give them away?

I only buy OE for the Volvo’s oil&fuel. $21 for an OE oil filter is nearly as cheap (+/- $2) as NAPA WIX. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Is OE Mack staying competitive? They use to give them away?

I only buy OE for the Volvo’s oil&fuel. $21 for an OE oil filter is nearly as cheap (+/- $2) as NAPA WIX. 

HA HA! Depends on how you look at competitive! Volvo as you know knows how to Gouge! And seem hell bent on ruining the Mack lineup! Not supporting the dealers of the mack line so our pricing is crappy on most stuff! If we deal with donaldson as with everyone else  the more we buy the better the deal! Being small and being a Mack only dealer with only 3 stores  the playing field is NOT Level.However We hold a decent market share in our area Truck sales wise Probably 70 percent! We still do not receive the Pricing on parts that I think  We should , this maybe an internal issue however I'm not in the loop on the parts buying !Volvo people seem to be able to sell the Same part For the Same engine or Like Part for cheaper ! I have customers Bitch to me all the time  about the parts pricing ! Can't control it! I am of the mind the Volvo/ Mack people should be out there working on the dealers behalf at getting THE BEST pricing on Parts for ALL the dealers !Mack Or Volvo! so they can give the customer the best bang for the buck! Seems to be some Favoritism going on ????????????? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...