Close call today with the B Model

12 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

I found some differences in boxes. Just happened to have the box for my B-73 laying on the floor. That shaft is 1.125” OD and tapers to .975 where the u-joint is. The steering wheel end is larger and 1.125”OD as well. It is a Gemmer box and worm and roller, too. A quick measure of the OD should determine what shaft it is.

D06F2941-080E-48B9-B2FB-49D1154A0C69.jpeg

21BF048F-3725-4714-B0D4-FE3F1C52FCC2.jpeg

7972CCA0-2E36-4E68-9CC2-22358F85D2E8.jpeg

Matt, Excuse my crude sketch- I got dimensions with a divider

Thread width

12 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

I found some differences in boxes. Just happened to have the box for my B-73 laying on the floor. That shaft is 1.125” OD and tapers to .975 where the u-joint is. The steering wheel end is larger and 1.125”OD as well. It is a Gemmer box and worm and roller, too. A quick measure of the OD should determine what shaft it is.

D06F2941-080E-48B9-B2FB-49D1154A0C69.jpeg

21BF048F-3725-4714-B0D4-FE3F1C52FCC2.jpeg

7972CCA0-2E36-4E68-9CC2-22358F85D2E8.jpeg

Matt,

Excuse crude sketch-used a divider

Thread Width                   1"

End of taper                     1.125"

Start of taper                   1.156"

Inner Bearing width        .9375

C4F64EAD-1CA3-4431-84F5-823BEAA7FF0C_1_201_a.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Thread width

Matt,

3 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Thread width

Matt,

C4F64EAD-1CA3-4431-84F5-823BEAA7FF0C_1_201_a.jpeg

I think you have a heavier shaft.  That B-42 shaft only measures1.00” max over it’s length. So your’s is heavier like the B-73. Well at least we know it won’t fit. Sad part for me is that I was saving a really nice, crack free, 22” steering wheel from my B-42 for the B-73. I only recently took the steering column apart for paint and now I know it won’t fit, so back to the cracked one. Crap.

Let me ask around to see if I can find you one.

I did my wheel with the kit available through Eastwood.  It was fairly easy to do.  From the pictures, I would say my wheel was a little worse than your wheel Matt as a comparison.  My redone wheel stayed looking good for about 4 years before a couple of blisters started to form and hairline cracks reemerged.  It's alive!  I will pull it over the winter and do it again.

I checked with someone to recast it many years ago and the price was like $400. 

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 2 weeks later...

"I have this complete box and shaft, I dont need it, if it fits you can have it."

Others post photos of repair manuals.

Others lend memories of having done this work and their recollections of what to and not to do.....

Thats why I love BMT. Everyone helps everyone. This place ROCKS

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

1 hour ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

"I have this complete box and shaft, I dont need it, if it fits you can have it."

Others post photos of repair manuals.

Others lend memories of having done this work and their recollections of what to and not to do.....

Thats why I love BMT. Everyone helps everyone. This place ROCKS

For sure!

On 7/23/2020 at 11:58 AM, General Ike said:

Not that its steering related, but in the early '90s my brother was racing his BMW 2002 at Bridgehampton and his buddy (also a 2002) had the clutch explode on him at 100+mph.  Luckily the carnage went out the passenger side of the transmission tunnel and didn't amputate his legs.

i had that happen in my 64 bananacuda with a 273 engine that was worked. it was pushing a little under 350hp on dyno. flywheel came through the floorboards and took a section of my right leg as it went past and through the roof. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

4 hours ago, tjc transport said:

i had that happen in my 64 bananacuda with a 273 engine that was worked. it was pushing a little under 350hp on dyno. flywheel came through the floorboards and took a section of my right leg as it went past and through the roof. 

Scatter shield or horse blanket keeps your feet from looking like the guy who drove the Swamp Rat. 

One ping only