New guy here, First Mack, Westminster MD, 1980 CF686 Ladder truck

New to the site,  first Mack, first fire truck. Having a few minor issues, but think with a little bit of the grand knowledge here, all will be well. Located in Westminster, MD. Hoping to make a few friends.  I look forward to meeting new people, and am excited for what the future has in store.

• Like 2
On 7/1/2020 at 8:49 PM, mrsmackpaul said:

Welcome, we are a pretty friendly bunch

What problems are you having ?  thats truck related problems 😀

Paul 

The front Calipers were sticking, I felt them dragging. but after moving the truck a bit and exercising the brakes I thought they let go. apparently they did not.  My wife was following me on the evening I first brought it home. She told me she thought she was seeing sparks coming from somewhere under the truck but wasn't sure.  As the evening grew darker, and on a heavily wooded back road, there was no doubt the truck was in fact sparking. due solely to the fact that both front rotors and calipers were CHERRY RED. and of course after a 45 mile trip from my dads house to my house the driver side burst into flames as I pulled in front of my house.

I promptly set the parking brake and ran into the house to get the BIG fire extinguisher, after completely exhausting that, the fire re lit. seeing what was going on my neighbor sprung into action using his small extinguisher, all the while expressing his glee at the sight of my new purchase. After 4 more extinguishers from various locations in the house and garage, the fire was successfully suffocated. During all that, it had managed to melt an air line and both brake hoses. at the time I did not know that the truck had hydraulic front brakes, and I wasn't sure what air line was damaged. fortunately it was only the supply to the air ride seat. During the "panic" I calmly directed my wife to call the fire department to have them dispatch units in the event that I could not contain the blaze myself. She told me after the call, the dispatcher was very confused when she informed her that there was a firetruck on fire. It's kinda funny now.🤣  The ultimate example of irony. My kids of 9, 6, and 5, are all terrorized and afraid of the truck now. So much for rides to get ice cream, 🙄 and my wife hates it, not that she liked it before, but this certainly did not help my case at all.  I purchased the unit nearly 100 miles from my dads house and the following day drove it 45 more miles, and it all took place in my driveway. 

2 Stations arrived after about 15 minutes, one from MD one from PA, they used the FLIR gun to make sure it wasn't gonna go up in flames again,  sheriff's deputy showed up, and all the neighbors came out.  It wasn't exactly how I wanted to introduce the new rig to the neighborhood. But they all thought the truck was cool and can't wait to see it out again. some wanna take a ride, some wanna drive it. 😀  all the wives seemed a bit displeased, but that's life.

So now I'm now in search of new brake hoses, calipers and rotors, I'm sure I'm also gonna need new bearings and hubs, and found out the support for these trucks is non existent. sounds about right. that's my luck for sure.

20200628_203939.jpg

20200628_210247.jpg

123_1(3).jpeg

Edited by Dieselfool

Y’all may be looking at a whole new front end

Axle. Spindles may be heavily damaged from the heat. 

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

9 minutes ago, hatcity said:

Y’all may be looking at a whole new front end

Axle. Spindles may be heavily damaged from the heat. 

yeah, I'm gonna have to pull everything and inspect it thoroughly, replacing any items that may be in question.

A fun first run

Are they discs or drums

Either way put on blocks and pull the wheels off and take some photos and share and people will soon help with how to fix 

Paul

1 hour ago, mrsmackpaul said:

A fun first run

Are they discs or drums

Either way put on blocks and pull the wheels off and take some photos and share and people will soon help with how to fix 

Paul

Hydraulic Disc front brakes, and yeah I'm gonna do just that, block it and do one side at a time, taking plenty of pix along the way,  hopefully I can find some numbers I can cross reference, funny enough the hose looks very similar to the one on our international roll back.  that would be sweet if it would work.

If it was mine, an S cam shoe brake front axle would be going in.  Vintage truck disc brake parts are very difficult/impossible to get.

Glad the night didn't turn out worse!

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

1 hour ago, j hancock said:

If it was mine, an S cam shoe brake front axle would be going in.  Vintage truck disc brake parts are very difficult/impossible to get.

Glad the night didn't turn out worse!

I hope it doesn't come to that.