1951 Mack A40 Ideas for rebuild

I am leaning towards throwing on some 445/65r22.5s in the rear.  That would perhaps soften the ride, help with fuel, and give me all the top end needed.

After measuring it up, I think one winter project will be channeling a flattop 369 sleeper.  A 36” sleeper leaves me 8 feet to end of the remaining frame rails.  After a lot of looking and dreaming this seems like a great option.

2 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

That truck is in incredibly good shape. It should be restored, not modified.

It has already been modified, it was an A40S and frame has been chopped off Right behind the drive axle, the hood and passenger door handles have bad “field” fixes.  I don’t consider changing tires and wheels a mod, as they can be changed right back.  The bed/chassis configuration has clearly been changed a few times.  I don’t feel like adding a sleeper box (not cutting the cab) is a mos either, since it is easily taken back.   But if you want to “restore it,” make me an offer.  I have cleaned the under seat tank and started preparing the seats to rebuild.  Hopefully dumping the old gas and cleaning the mouse poop out of the seat springs didn’t hurt the originality too much.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Under seat tank cleaned and ready to be reinstalled.  Got a new 6v pump for it, so should be in business.  Will run this tank only for now, as it is only poking around town and don’t want a bunch of fuel going bad.  I’m firm believer in keeping old tanks full, especially when they are rust free.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, j hancock said:

Looks Good!  Amazing the paper tag survived the mice!

Agreed, it was the only one that did.  I wondered why there were perfect holes in the seat backs.  When I stripped them, I saw it was a farm fix... the seat backs were filled full of D-con.

This came today, pretty excited to put them next to the truck and measure.  Probably sell the extra pair, to pay for matching wheels up front and some nice steer tires.  I want to check the rake with the tall rear singles before determining front tire size.

3A88E5AB-B7C7-409C-A8E7-B032961ABA4B.jpeg

E858E921-E5E1-4ADD-A1B5-FF9D8F51DAFA.jpeg

• Like 2

Going to be a nice truck the way you are doing it.Just a note, the holes in the seat backing are for ventilation a) to vent air when sat in and b)  to allow air circulation to stop things from growing.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

45 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

Going to be a nice truck the way you are doing it.Just a note, the holes in the seat backing are for ventilation a) to vent air when sat in and b)  to allow air circulation to stop things from growing.

Thanks, I sure hope it turns out nice.  Nothing being done that can’t be switched back later at this point

The holes I was referring to were Cut/torn into the seat back upholstery (vinyl and pad).

My son, in the pictures is named “Mac.”  He is a 15 year old computer wizard and this is his first time really working on a vehicle.  The idea is to have an amazing truck to give him as a keepsake alongside the memory of building it with me.

• Like 2

That a great time when you work on a project with your son, you'll both make a ton of good memories. One son every time I looked like I was heading to my shop was right at my side.That was when he was about 10.  Twenty five years later still stops most every night to check on my projects. Funny every time I go racing he appears in my truck waiting to go. Other son could care less about anything physical. Him and my wife just helped me swap an new engine into my M114 they had a ball.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

15 hours ago, 41chevy said:

c) and an easy way in and out for the mice.    .....Hippy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fuel tank is back in, brand new 6v fuel pump installed.  I have it running and starting extremely well.  

Waiting on lug nuts to arrive to get the drive tires installed.  Should happen next week, then I can drive it to the house and start really cleaning the interior for paint, etc.

• Like 1

EN E377:  There is almost NO information on performance mods, reliability and maintenance tips or tricks.  I am very happy with how I have it running, with non-detergent oil in it...

Exhaust:  the manifold and pipe to the muffler are still solid.  The muffler is pretty bad and looks like an old car muffler with tiny discharge hole.  No tailpipe.  I am thinking about removing muffler and running straight pipe with two mandrel bends to make a stack (passenger side).  It looks like it is either 3.5” or 4” pipe, will have to crawl under and measure it...

Edited by Scottyairborne

There won't be a lot of info for hop up.  Low rpm truck motor with valves in block.  Probably something to look at would be an upgrade to Pertronix ignition.  The OEM was a Delco distributor and kits should be available for neg or pos ground.

https://pertronixbrands.com/pages/pertronix-ignition

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

2 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Petrol motors need back pressure to stop  them burning  valves so you no doubt will need a muffler of some type

Paul 

Will be trying to play with back pressure in a couple ways.  I have heard a lot of arguments both ways on back pressure.  I will be running a weighted rain cap that I plan the adjust and take good temps to a sweet spot.

9 hours ago, j hancock said:

There won't be a lot of info for hop up.  Low rpm truck motor with valves in block.  Probably something to look at would be an upgrade to Pertronix ignition.  The OEM was a Delco distributor and kits should be available for neg or pos ground.

https://pertronixbrands.com/pages/pertronix-ignition

I will definitely be looking at ignition and finding the sweet spot for plugs, timing, etc.  I have been reviewing the Pertronix and am familiar with them from the hotrod world.