Sign in to follow this  
WarDog

About a 1959 36-A D8 Stacking Sand

Don't have to be new to get the job done!!👍   terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

You sure it’s a 1959 36a,it’s looks more like a D8h built back in the late 60’s.

the 8H we had  had round rops .that looks more like the 8K we had. 

Maybe a k. The last k I was one was about 15 years ago Hard to remember 

On 7/25/2020 at 3:27 PM, hicrop10 said:

You sure it’s a 1959 36a,it’s looks more like a D8h built back in the late 60’s.

Its marked 36A on engine and the back left side of tractor and it is a direct drive with no decelerator

• Like 1

Well one old Cat deserves another-1956 14A D8 and the 1956 B71 that moved it.

005.JPG

002.JPG

• Like 1

One ping only

The 1959 is a D8H. 36A is a id # for D8H's built with a direct drive trans. The D8H model started around 1958 I think.

• Like 2

IIRC, the 36A was direct drive (like TS7 said).  The 35A was a 3-speed with a torque converter.  The 46A was the power-shift version.  All are "D8H" models.

I spent many a day on the 46A D8H and the 77V D8K.

That one does appear to have a later-model ROPS on it.

All the D8Ks I ran had the brake pedals hung from under the dash.  But, I was told once that some of the earliest ones had brake pedals coming up through the floor like the D8H, but I can neither confirm nor deny that from personal experience.

I loved the K models, but they were plagued by head gasket problems from trying to squeeze more power out of the same engine that powered the Hs.  I remember that, late in the K model's life, they started adding spacer plates under the head to lower the compression ratio to help with that problem.  Called them (oddly enough) "spacer plate motors".  Imagine that.

That's one of the best-looking H models I have seen since back in 19......well, let's not go into that!

• Like 2

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

the big problem i had with the "K" was the 14 foot full "U" blade

machine full of fuel with that big blade weighed 123,000 lbs. so it would sink is soft spots. 

but that big blade could carry and push 2 tandem loads of sand. i used to feed two excavators with that one machine, and we would load out 100 loads of sand, or clay a day. 

and the excavators never waited for material either. 

17 hours ago, tjc transport said:

the big problem i had with the "K" was the 14 foot full "U" blade

machine full of fuel with that big blade weighed 123,000 lbs. so it would sink is soft spots. 

but that big blade could carry and push 2 tandem loads of sand. i used to feed two excavators with that one machine, and we would load out 100 loads of sand, or clay a day. 

and the excavators never waited for material either. 

I was into land clearing.  So, all ours were set up with C-frames.  The K/G blades made the tractors pretty nose-heavy.  Our shop built most of their own rakes, and they were pretty light compared to most commercial versions (Rome, Fleco, etc.).  But, you could still tell the difference in weight between an H and a K.  Although, it did seem like the K had a bit more ground clearance.

The K would push like the devil himself on dry ground.  In the swamps, the extra weight was pretty noticeable.  A wide-pad H would literally "drift" on top of the mud if cut sharply.  A K...not so much.

I remember a couple of times running a K completely out of fuel on a long day.  I guess making more power and pushing more weight takes more fuel, huh?

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."