What the F... is wrong ?????

B MACK

18 minutes ago, Joseph Moody Jr said:

I have follow this discussion from day one and to me it will make a script for a TV shown. It got me thinking what the great people of this country did during WW 2. The government ask the people to give up so many things to help war effort. Gasoline, meat, and clothing were tightly rationed. Most families were allocated 3 US gallons per week. Production of most durable goods, like new housing, vacuum cleaners, and kitchen appliances, was banned until the war ended. There was so much this people did to help with war effort you can write a novel. So we are at war against a virus call Covid 19 and the government ask people to social distance and wear a mask around other people to help to stop the spread of this virus. But a lot of people complain why should we follow the  government ask. But those people 80 years ago did what was need to win the war. Rember there is no I in TEAM and we are all members of same TEAM a proud citizen of USA regards of race. religion belief, left wing. right wing. union member, non-union member, female, male . We are still proud citizen of this great country

Big difference between conserving resources to have them available for use in an effort to defeat pure evil in this world vs wannabe tyrants ordering people to throw away their life's work & any ambitions they might have while they burn through their life's savings, unable to work for months on end because of a virus which the vast majority of people who get it won't even realize they had it, a smaller group will have mild symptoms, an even smaller group will have a severe reaction, and an extremely small fraction of a percentage will die. Notice how the media has shifted from their death count over to number of cases? First they got people all worked up over how "deadly" it was...small number of tests given only to the worst-of-the-worst cases, and not surprisingly, many of them died. HOLY SCHNIKES THIS THING IS A KILLER!!!!!! Now, tests are plentiful, and anyone who wants one can get one. They're finding a ton of "new" cases...but not much change in the death totals. The numerator hasn't changed much...but the denominator has risen significantly. So instead of 3/10 people dying, it's 3/1000...and suddenly the narrative is lost.

Time Magazine actually explained all this 4 months ago: https://time.com/5798168/coronavirus-mortality-rate/

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Rowdy, thanks for coming up with a cite to support your argument. I agree with the article, and if you look at the data the mortality is around 1% in countries that have better managed COVID-19 than ours. But killing off 1% of our population by refusing to take simple precautions like wearing masks is totally unacceptable, especially by people and a political party that claim to be "pro life". And this is nothing new- back in the 1930s life expectancy after diagnosis for a person with MS was about 5 years, now death from MS is rare. Same with HIV, it was a near death sentence in the 1980s and it's now a manageable disease. The bigger issue is the personal, social, and financial costs of chronic diseases- Some people with MS are still very much disabled, HIV is still running the lives of many sufferers, and even though less than 1% of the population has MS, just the drugs to treat the disease are costing over $20 billion a year in the U.S. alone.

We are just starting to see COVID-19 persist as a chronic disease in victims, and what we see is scary- Working age people who may never again be able to contribute to society and will need expensive care for decades. I haven't seen any studies yet, but the personal stories the press has been covering are very worrying- here's an excellent one: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/06/covid-19-coronavirus-longterm-symptoms-months/612679/

Historically nations that lose the contributions of even a few percent of their working age adults to disease or war are hobbled by that loss for decades. Facing that great risk, it makes sense for us to take simple precautions like wearing face masks to keep such a national disaster from happening.

The flu hit every year, killing a similar percentage of people. Do you wear a mask every flu season? Hell, just think how "healthy" we all could be if we all just lived inside sterile rooms, never venturing outside, doing all of our work from "home" over the internet with everyone scared of their own shadow thinking it "might" get them sick! After all, if you are never exposed to any germs, bacteria, or viruses, you'll never get sick! ...until one slips through. Then you're dead, because your immune system isn't up to the task at hand.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

2 hours ago, david wild said:

I say leave it alone if you start getting rid of people just because you don't like what they say then your no better than those we complain about, I like to think I am better than that. 

She’s counting tenfiveo’s comments and reminding him when he says something sexually politically incorrect. Who’s censoring who? 

if enough people ignore a person long enough they will eventually go away..

if what she says bothers you, put her on your ignore user list. it really really works. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

1 hour ago, RowdyRebel said:

The flu hit every year, killing a similar percentage of people. Do you wear a mask every flu season? Hell, just think how "healthy" we all could be if we all just lived inside sterile rooms, never venturing outside, doing all of our work from "home" over the internet with everyone scared of their own shadow thinking it "might" get them sick! After all, if you are never exposed to any germs, bacteria, or viruses, you'll never get sick! ...until one slips through. Then you're dead, because your immune system isn't up to the task at hand.

Rowdy, 'bout 30 years ago I shared a truck with an old driver who wore a mask much of the time, IIRC he'd had damaged lungs and just about anything in the air could send him to the ER. Was a good deal for both of us as I was a nonsmoker and he kept the truck very clean so there was no dust to harm his damaged lungs. I didn't need a mask, but I would have gladly worn one around him if needed.

1 hour ago, GA_Dave said:

Except the actual number of Covid deaths is nowhere near 1%, it's more like .26% and the vast majority of those who have died were NOT from the workforce!  NO ONE is trying to stop those of you who are scared from staying home.  Many of us have things to do that are just as important to us as your activities are to you.  Our freedom to each pursue those things is what America is all about.  If you choose to hide at home or behind a useless mask, that is YOUR choice, but you have no authority to stop me from pursuing mine.  Living by your "rules" is not living at all!

First off, while we can come up with a good statistical estimate of the number of undiagnosed cases, sounds like your taking the high numbers for percent of tests that are positive and the low numbers for death, doing the math, and coming out with an improbably low mortality rate. If we did proper regression studies we could probably come up with better numbers, I'd just love to feed all the stats into a something like SPSS and see the results. But there's additional wrinkles like the weeks between diagnosis and death with a disease that doubles it's number of victims every week or so when it flares up. So were talking about a time series analysis on top of a regression analysis fed by data of varying quality- The supercomputers can handle that, but without better data the results may not be worth much.

As for your libertarian fantasies, that might work in a perfect world, but your theory falls apart when you're not wearing a mask passes a disease on to an elder less able to fight off the disease.

3 hours ago, Joseph Moody Jr said:

I have follow this discussion from day one and to me it will make a script for a TV shown. It got me thinking what the great people of this country did during WW 2. The government ask the people to give up so many things to help war effort. Gasoline, meat, and clothing were tightly rationed. Most families were allocated 3 US gallons per week. Production of most durable goods, like new housing, vacuum cleaners, and kitchen appliances, was banned until the war ended. There was so much this people did to help with war effort you can write a novel. So we are at war against a virus call Covid 19 and the government ask people to social distance and wear a mask around other people to help to stop the spread of this virus. But a lot of people complain why should we follow the  government ask. But those people 80 years ago did what was need to win the war. Rember there is no I in TEAM and we are all members of same TEAM a proud citizen of USA regards of race. religion belief, left wing. right wing. union member, non-union member, female, male . We are still proud citizen of this great country

Really big difference WWII was REAL the virus is liberal BS  along with Russia giving bounty on soldiers, that is nothing new just sounds good today,  I back this country 100% but I am not going to bend over for a blatant Liberal snow job, like I said elect Biden and see how fast the Virus disappears, the only reason that the left is so scared of Trump is they know he won't be worried about reelection and he can concentrate on putting them all behind bars, why do you think Clinton is so not there, and Bill that poor bastard is really hiding now that they got Epsteins girl chum in jail, can you imagine what she has to say, oops heard they are sending her to the same jail as her buddy, oh well she won't get to talk either, wonder how she will kill herself ? maybe she will fall hitting her head on toilet seat ?

35 minutes ago, Maxidyne said:

First off, while we can come up with a good statistical estimate of the number of undiagnosed cases, sounds like your taking the high numbers for percent of tests that are positive and the low numbers for death, doing the math, and coming out with an improbably low mortality rate. If we did proper regression studies we could probably come up with better numbers, I'd just love to feed all the stats into a something like SPSS and see the results. But there's additional wrinkles like the weeks between diagnosis and death with a disease that doubles it's number of victims every week or so when it flares up. So were talking about a time series analysis on top of a regression analysis fed by data of varying quality- The supercomputers can handle that, but without better data the results may not be worth much.

As for your libertarian fantasies, that might work in a perfect world, but your theory falls apart when you're not wearing a mask passes a disease on to an elder less able to fight off the disease.

If you are elderly, and scared, stay at home.

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

if enough people ignore a person long enough they will eventually go away..

if what she says bothers you, put her on your ignore user list. it really really works. 

Where is the ignore function? I caught myself looking but never found it.

48 minutes ago, Maxidyne said:

Rowdy, 'bout 30 years ago I shared a truck with an old driver who wore a mask much of the time, IIRC he'd had damaged lungs and just about anything in the air could send him to the ER. Was a good deal for both of us as I was a nonsmoker and he kept the truck very clean so there was no dust to harm his damaged lungs. I didn't need a mask, but I would have gladly worn one around him if needed.

Apples & oranges.

16 minutes ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

Where is the ignore function? I caught myself looking but never found it.

hold your cursor over the users name. on the bottom of the popup you will see ignore user. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

No, while in his 60s he had the lungs of an 80 year old. While I was "extra board" driver I'd often get called in to cover his run when it was really cold out and the other drivers helped him load and unload. If we could help a vulnerable senior back then, why can't we now by wearing masks to protect them?

6 hours ago, j hancock said:

I suppose the moderators could look into this?  Oooops, never mind.... she has a body guard.

Yup, bodyguard is China and Maxi is North Korea. 

I was just joining when she was going out the last time. I recall her threatening Barry with Volvo’s Corporate discrimination policy as to imply she was going to contact Volvo and report him. 

In a matter of very short time she was banished after the threat and I believe the term “Douchebag” was used to describe her actions/threat. 

Edited by Mack Technician

51 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

Yup, bodyguard is China and Maxi is North Korea. 

I was just joining when she was going out the last time. I recall her threatening Barry with Volvo’s Corporate discrimination policy as to imply she was going to contact Volvo and report him. 

In a matter of very short time she was banished after the threat and I believe the term “Douchebag” was used to describe her actions/threat. 

Sad, but expected from someone like that.

31 minutes ago, tenfive0 said:

This is better then going to Disneyland.

Good similarity because she’ll have you F’in Goofy before November gets here.

Imagine going to a bar after work to talk, laugh and relax and a lady sits down next to you and belittles her husband for the entire 3 hours. That’s what it eventually becomes. 

1 hour ago, Maxidyne said:

No, while in his 60s he had the lungs of an 80 year old. While I was "extra board" driver I'd often get called in to cover his run when it was really cold out and the other drivers helped him load and unload. If we could help a vulnerable senior back then, why can't we now by wearing masks to protect them?

Apple: A person with a specific serious health condition and taking the neccessary precautions around them to ensure they don't have issues with that known condition.

Orange: Making general concessions to your liberties in order to MAYBE not pass on a disease you almost certainly don't have by wearing a ridiculous mask with questionable effectiveness.

Then, when you look at the people who ARE wearing masks, few if any are actually wearing them properly...and they're the most likely to get mad if somebody else isn't wearing one. If it isn't covering both your nose and mouth, AND forming a good seal around your face (whether it's improperly sized, you happen to have a beard, or any other reason), it's ineffective. If you can't stop figiting with it, touching it (cross-contaminating it with anything/everything you've touched) it's doing you more harm than good...because we're told it ISN'T doing anything for the person wearing it. Get the virus onto your mask by touching it after you had your hands all over a contaminated surface and now you're breathing in the virus. Congrats. NOW you're infected! They've said the higher viral load you're exposed to, the more severe the disease hits you, so when all of the virus you would've expelled gets trapped in your mask to be sucked right back into your own lungs, guess who ends up having a severe form of the illness! Your incompetence caused your infection, and your need to virtue-signal turned what would've been a mild/asymptomatic case into a severe one.

3 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

Those were not MY figures, they came straight from the CDC!

As Ditchdiggerjcf stated, "If you are elderly, and scared, stay at home."

• Like 1