pdgx

Chasing some history - J.H. Robinson, LA 1922; Ross Bros. Long Beach 1924

Sorry  I used to live in long. Beach so did my parents not at the same time I’m thinking that was too long ago to be able to access information or at least make it difficult good luck.... bob

Yup, that’s the problem.

But - Hoping to find someone . . . .who knows someone ....

100 yrs is a long time. 

1 hour ago, pdgx said:

Yup, that’s the problem.

But - Hoping to find someone . . . .who knows someone ....

100 yrs is a long time. 

would that j h robinson be associated in any way to the truck brokerage co. that's still in business? an ancestor perhaps

Looking in my 1946 directory there is no Ross in the Long Beach or LA area.

There is a J.H. Robinson listed in Corpus Christie,Texas,  1500 North Broadway

If you want to give them a call the number is 6631...lol

The business seems to be confined to numerous cities in Texas

They had 75 units as of 1946

Cheers,Pat

Posted (edited)

I’m looking for any info on the original owners of an AC I’m restoring. It was originally purchased by a J.H.Robinson of LA Ca. in December 1922.  It was then sold to the Ross Bros. in Long Beach in 1924.

Long Beach Press, May 3,1919

Page 22.

Apparently sold real estate, possibly a builder? Has had other homes listed.

-

Santa Ana Register   March 25, 1920, page 7

-

Anaheim is about 25 miles from Long Beach. There are other Ross Bros. in California.

Edited by Phase 1

Pretty interesting stuff to watch history unfold

Paul 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. 

I did find the Corpus Christi link, but like you said they seem to be local to Texas. 
I will call them tho and see if they moved somewhere between the 20’s and 40’s. 

Also found a couple of court cases Involving JH Robinson Truck Lines,  but they showed in the 5th district -also Texas I believe. 

Also found this (pic below) which is color correct as the Mack green is how it left the factory (??)

CH Robinson doesn’t seem to be related as they were only in the south East (Florida) at that time.

So, still looking  

Thanks for any ideas or leads !

57C5D841-2372-4AA6-A108-29911BF32847.jpeg

Oops forgot. 

Did find the Ross Bros realtor, but their history didn’t lead me anywhere. 

7DC44C4E-706D-4353-B9C9-923CBC743D30.jpeg

Do you know what Robinson and Ross’s businesses were?

A lot of companies have changed names or merged over the years but they usually don’t change the industry they service.

I have been in a lot of plants that have pictures of the buildings under the old owners.

Unfortunately not. 

Robinson was ‘possibly’ into logging, but I don’t have anything to back that up. And LA doesn’t really support that, even in 1922. 

For some reason, the chassis was chopped and the wheelbase shortened by 12” - but I have no idea when - and the truck had a pto added as well. 

So far everything has been a dead end, which is why I’m trying here. Hoping someone knows some local history out there. 

Thanks

Paul

Where are you and the truck located now?

Logging is not this area but wood products were and still are produced and distributed here

Unfortunately due to the virus I simply can’t go visit with the old guys or go into the old businesses and look at the photos that are hanging on the wall

We are in Florida.

We rescued the truck from imminent scrapping in the Fontana area, in 2007. 
Old guy was trying to save them from destruction. He’s the guy who implied logging, but not sure he really knew. Unfortunately I didn’t get a copy of the prior title when he transferred to me  

Thanks for your help. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, pdgx said:

Thanks guys. 

I did find the Corpus Christi link, but like you said they seem to be local to Texas. 
I will call them tho and see if they moved somewhere between the 20’s and 40’s. 

Also found a couple of court cases Involving JH Robinson Truck Lines,  but they showed in the 5th district -also Texas I believe. 

Also found this (pic below) which is color correct as the Mack green is how it left the factory (??)

CH Robinson doesn’t seem to be related as they were only in the south East (Florida) at that time.

So, still looking  

Thanks for any ideas or leads !

The ones I found are in the right area and right era, and I think quite possible could have been the owners. It could have been that one home building company sold out to, or merged with the other one. The C.H. was what was returned in a search for J.H., and I didn't notice it. Have since found a J.H. which I replaced the C.H. with.

Edited by Phase 1

You might consider getting on to the L.A. times archive site...I think they are offering one week of free searches.

Cheers,Pat

It’s a long shot but you could try and contact the CA DMV to see if they can research the vehicle and provide you the history

LA public library has lots of historical photographs

The LA Times dead-ended. Hundreds of articles with a ‘Robinson’ or a ‘Ross’ referenced, but nothing leading to a potential business.

Thought I had a phone # for JHRobinson in Texas, but that didn’t pan out either. 

- still looking. . . . . . . . . . .

I have found a lot of info on the LA times website..but you are right..you have to do a lot of sifting through, and if it is a common name it makes it that much more difficult.

I tracked down relatives of a truck company owner through an obituary on there. I had a look at the online archive of California..no specific info.

Did you try the digital collection at USC?

Cheers,Pat