When was the R700 discontinued?

On 5/17/2020 at 1:10 AM, kscarbel2 said:

The RWL/RWS was produced at Hayward.

The MH chassis-based RWI was produced at Macungie.

The MH chassis-based RWI - what it actually was?? A RW2 with earlier headlights?

Also seems strange since Cruiseliner kept its original Western split chassis to the end of production (at Macungie) and RW1 had similar chassis. So what is the truth? Was RW1 with its original not MH-based chassis ever produced at Macungie or not?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

5 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

The MH chassis-based RWI - what it actually was?? A RW2 with earlier headlights?

Also seems strange since Cruiseliner kept its original Western split chassis to the end of production (at Macungie) and RW1 had similar chassis. So what is the truth? Was RW1 with its original not MH-based chassis ever produced at Macungie or not?

The second generation Super-Liner, produced in Macungie, with the 4 rectangular headlights (H4651/H4656), built on the previously introduced MH Ultra-Liner chassis, was known internally as the RWI model.

We didn't spend money to improve the Cruise-Liner chassis because the Ultra-Liner was in the development pipeline to replace it before the first Cruise-Liner rolled off the Macungie assembly line. While the Cruise-Liner's death was planned, we wanted to continue on with the Super-Liner product.

8 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

The second generation Super-Liner, produced in Macungie, with the 4 rectangular headlights (H4651/H4656), built on the previously introduced MH Ultra-Liner chassis, was known internally as the RWI model.

Can't understand again.

Was the 2nd gen RW with rectangular headlights known internally as RWI model (not RWII)? Should I take that RWI doesn't mean RWS?

Ok, if so, when Superliner production was moved from Hayward to East Coast (in 81 as Mike said) did it already purchase a newly designed MH chassis? Or any trucks were assembled using Cruiseliner rails?

4 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Yes

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Can't understand again.

Was the 2nd gen RW with rectangular headlights known internally as RWI model (not RWII)? Should I take that RWI doesn't mean RWS?

Ok, if so, when Superliner production was moved from Hayward to East Coast (in 81 as Mike said) did it already purchase a newly designed MH chassis? Or any trucks were assembled using Cruiseliner rails?

The 2nd gen RW with rectangular headlights was known internally as the RWI model.

The RWI (on the Ultra-Liner chassis) replaced the Hayward, California-built RWS (steel frame) and RWL (aluminum frame).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

The RWI (on the Ultra-Liner chassis) replaced the Hayward, California-built RWS (steel frame) and RWL (aluminum frame).

When was that happened?

8 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

The 2nd gen RW with rectangular headlights was known internally as the RWI model.

Sorry, I think I muddied the waters because I thought we were talking about RW 1 and RW 2 models whereas we are really talking about RWL/S and RWI.

Perhaps the 2nd Generation Super-Liner should have been RMH!

So, to summarize;

Hayward closed in 81 and all Western model production moved to Macungie or elsewhere.

RWS/L Super-Liner continued with split frame.

WS/L Cruise-Liner with split frame continued with improvements and cosmetic changes like new grill to match Super-Liner.

RS/L Value-Liner continued as was.

WS/L Cruise-Liner discontinued in 83, replaced by brand new design MH.

RWS/L Super-Liner discontinued in 85 replaced by RWI Super-Liner using MH frame.

RS/L Value-Liner discontinued in 87 marking the end of a 2 decade distinctive Western product run.

Back to R700's, 865's, 866,s 1000/1005's and E9's. Vlad I see what you mean about the valve covers. It also means that the whole cylinder head casting is a bit different too.

Found this video whilst comparing.

5 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

The second generation (RWI) Super-Liner entered production in 1985.

(The MH Ultra-Liner entered limited production in 1984........there were quite a few last minute changes)

Thank you for the answer. Now I got a proof of knowing the most things right.

But now is my next question - where was Mack Superliner produced from 1981 to 1985 and using which frame rails?

9 hours ago, Whiskymack said:

Sorry, I think I muddied the waters because I thought we were talking about RW 1 and RW 2 models whereas we are really talking about RWL/S and RWI.

So, to summarize;

Hayward closed in 81 and all Western model production moved to Macungie or elsewhere.

WS/L Cruise-Liner with split frame continued with improvements and cosmetic changes like new grill to match Super-Liner.

RWS/L Super-Liner discontinued in 85 replaced by RWI Super-Liner using MH frame.

RS/L Value-Liner discontinued in 87 marking the end of a 2 decade distinctive Western product run.

Back to R700's, 865's, 866,s 1000/1005's and E9's. Vlad I see what you mean about the valve covers. It also means that the whole cylinder head casting is a bit different too.

RS/L 600 Value-Liner continued as was. RS/L700 discontinued before the date.

The whole cylinder head castings of V8 engine were completely different since they conteined 2 valves instead of 4. I suppose they had a similar mounting pattern as E9 regardless less cylinder bore. At least something like that was posted on here in the past. But actually the heads on 865/866 represented different shape at the top and carried smaller covers.

On 5/19/2020 at 1:26 PM, Vladislav said:

Thank you for the answer. Now I got a proof of knowing the most things right.

But now is my next question - where was Mack Superliner produced from 1981 to 1985 and using which frame rails?

Macungie,and they used the Cruiseliner frame 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mike Harbison said:

Macungie,and they used the Cruiseliner frame 

Thanks Mike.

I never payed attention to the fact thinking the 1st generation was assembled at Hayward only. But this above discussion put more questions to me than answers. Now the things are clear.

On 5/18/2020 at 9:22 PM, kscarbel2 said:

It would be interesting to sit in a room, pour tasty alcoholic beverages into you, and extract every bit of Mack knowledge you have out of your head!

You've forgotten more about these old Dogs than most of us will ever know...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

• 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

It would be really sweet to own that lone RS800 or at least even see it. I wonder who it was built for and why they only made one of them. 800 series DMs were fairly common. Did Mack build any R800s in Allentown?

Four, in 1968, it appears...

image.png.267c125e84cf4d7de4b234f2db374101.png

I can't remember.  Somebody remind me what the SECOND "R" stands for (Like in the R795R).  I know an "F at the end was for "Fire" apparatus.  But, I can't remember what the "R" suffix meant.  Slippin'...

Never mind.  Right-hand drive.  Duh!  Like I said, slippin'!  LOL!

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel
Remembered!

I think Tony Champion of Rockhampton QLD AU has one of the R800R's that he is restoring?? I saw it from a distance in 2015 and if I remember right there was an article on it last summer in the ATCA Double Clutch??

Austrialan-Trip-919.jpg

Austrialan-Trip-993.jpg

Edited by Brocky
  • Like 2

Brocky

On 5/19/2020 at 2:31 AM, Whiskymack said:

So, to summarize;

Found this video whilst comparing.

Man that was excellent thanks for sharing just spotted it… Bob

On 1/20/2022 at 10:29 PM, doubleclutchinweasel said:

image.png.6b8984c9c8bbf53fc699dd66f3125ed2.png

Wonder why this table points out a few models produced up to 1983 and even 1984 years?

Possibly was it mean "Hayward models" which didn't mean "trucks made in Hayward"?