Bought a 1983 Mack MH 613 and need a touch of help

46 minutes ago, j hancock said:

The MH is a Mack Ultraliner.  To my knowledge, it should fit fine.

I might be confused, I thought the MH was fiberglass composite cab and the ultraliner was aluminum cab? 

If they are the same that widens the search :)

Not common fiberglass, but rather Mack Trucks' proprietary "Maxi-Glas".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Morning Call  /  September 18, 1985

Mack Trucks yesterday received a Governor's New Product Award for development of its Ultra-Liner truck, a lighter-weight vehicle made of fiberglass.

In ceremonies on the sun-bathed Capitol steps, and with the red, white and blue truck in front of him, Gov. Dick Thornburgh presented plaques to the Allentown-based company.

The company was praised for its innovative products that, Thornburgh said, have contributed to the expansion of the state's economic base.

The Ultra-Liner truck, designed to be rust-free, is made of a combination of fiberglass and plastic called Maxi-Glas, said Leslie A. Meacock II, director of product engineering for Mack Trucks.

Development began in 1977 for "the finest cab in the world," Meacock said.

After four years of research and development and an investment of "$20 million-plus," the first truck was completed in 1982, he said.

The Ultra-Liner, he said, weighs less than standard-design trucks, has lower operating costs and is more fuel efficient. The fiberglass cab "is more aerodynamically correct," causing the higher efficiency rating, Meacock said.

While Meacock could not give one specific figure on the percentage difference in fuel consumption, he said, "It could (provide) up to 12 percent greater efficiency than previous trucks, depending on the way it's used and the operating conditions."

Commercialization of the Ultra-Liner in 1983 required a new production line, which increased employment to 1,400 from 800. The company has sold between 7,000 and 8,000 trucks at $66,000 to $100,000 each, depending on the options and engines.

Meacock said many different commercial fleets have been sold to various companies including Ryder, Penske and United Parcel Service.

"Our market penetration this year is higher than ever," Meacock said.

This new truck replaced an older cab, but Meacock said that the firm is still producing its standard line of trucks.

He added that the company is developing new models in addition to the Ultra-Liner.

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

Not common fiberglass, but rather Mack Trucks' proprietary "Maxi-Glas".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Morning Call  /  September 18, 1985

Mack Trucks yesterday received a Governor's New Product Award for development of its Ultra-Liner truck, a lighter-weight vehicle made of fiberglass.

In ceremonies on the sun-bathed Capitol steps, and with the red, white and blue truck in front of him, Gov. Dick Thornburgh presented plaques to the Allentown-based company.

The company was praised for its innovative products that, Thornburgh said, have contributed to the expansion of the state's economic base.

The Ultra-Liner truck, designed to be rust-free, is made of a combination of fiberglass and plastic called Maxi-Glas, said Leslie A. Meacock II, director of product engineering for Mack Trucks.

Development began in 1977 for "the finest cab in the world," Meacock said.

After four years of research and development and an investment of "$20 million-plus," the first truck was completed in 1982, he said.

The Ultra-Liner, he said, weighs less than standard-design trucks, has lower operating costs and is more fuel efficient. The fiberglass cab "is more aerodynamically correct," causing the higher efficiency rating, Meacock said.

While Meacock could not give one specific figure on the percentage difference in fuel consumption, he said, "It could (provide) up to 12 percent greater efficiency than previous trucks, depending on the way it's used and the operating conditions."

Commercialization of the Ultra-Liner in 1983 required a new production line, which increased employment to 1,400 from 800. The company has sold between 7,000 and 8,000 trucks at $66,000 to $100,000 each, depending on the options and engines.

Meacock said many different commercial fleets have been sold to various companies including Ryder, Penske and United Parcel Service.

"Our market penetration this year is higher than ever," Meacock said.

This new truck replaced an older cab, but Meacock said that the firm is still producing its standard line of trucks.

He added that the company is developing new models in addition to the Ultra-Liner.

What a shame to read this, & look at what it is today

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quickfarms said:

Are you talking temporarily or permanently?

My wife stopped that threat after I built this. It’s nice enough inside that she stays with me at shows now.

933e8af504c77a4f4eee2856ceaecac4.jpg

That is Noiiiice!!! 

anything worth doing is worth doing in 6x6

On 5/31/2020 at 7:41 PM, Countrylife said:

Does anyone have a parts book for a 1983 MH 613? 

I am stumped on the shift linkage ball joints. The larger one I think is just something someone stuffed in there as it was not fitting correctly and the lower one does not seem to match anything I can measure out. I think I should start with what was supposed to be there and go from there. 

Thanks in advance for the help if anyone has a book. I wanted to buy one but they are few and far between it seems 

Cheers. 

20200531_163751.jpg

@Countrylife have you had any luck on these shift linkage (tie rod ends) yet?

I'm thinking bout replacing mine also

5 hours ago, Countrylife said:

I have, I did make mine out but here is the info someone sent me 

So far it is looking like they are as follows,

55RU247  That shows to be the RH thread rod end. The part number  changes to 25023498 and the description is "spacer washer." That may be throwing the parts guys off

55RU247P2  That shows to be the LH thread rod end. The number changes to 25023499 and once again is described as a "spacer washer"

17QL278M  That shows to be the threaded rod. That number changes to 25022891

Good deal. Hopefully the dealers or someone in aftermarket will carry these.

I appreciate the info!

On 6/19/2020 at 4:20 AM, snowman_w900 said:

Good deal. Hopefully the dealers or someone in aftermarket will carry these.

I appreciate the info!

Let me know how you come out, I am not sure my solution i a real long term one

Cheers. 

• 2 months later...