Old Highpoint towing Paystar living a second life

autocardc

1 hour ago, Bullheaded said:

My favorite truck next to the old Mack's. I used to run a 6X6 Paystar 5000 like this building logging roads. And I owned an 05 Paystar 5600i.

I also wonder about the specs of these I saw on the internet. Only info I could find is it was called Kong and was a 100 ton rotator.

65e75df39708592c61687f8e01b36ada.jpg

256d78cf2f6ee152ce719ebb7ccd1add.jpg

Isn't Avella and High Point one and same?  In any case remember when a 750 Holmes was a big deal?        We did  have an N61 Mack tandem wrecker at out Brooklyn Terminal (North Henry St.) but it was gone by the time I had anything to do with the place.

3 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

I think I read something about they were the same company Red Horse. Are these the same truck with different wheels and paint?

Hah- after I hit send key on my post I looked again  at the two pictures-look at the brick on the buildings and what I assume are the overhead door lintels-same building!

Steve Avella owned Highpoint Garage in Union City.  Are they the same truck?  Can't say for sure but I imagine that there weren't two trucks.  Things get repainted especially in Jersey!

Some info from the way back machine.  Your mileage may vary...

http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=111586

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

16 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Steve Avella owned Highpoint Garage in Union City.  Are they the same truck?  Can't say for sure but I imagine that there weren't two trucks.  Things get repainted especially in Jersey!

Some info from the way back machine.  Your mileage may vary...

http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=111586

It’s the same truck, on the visor of both pictures it says awesome kong.

15 minutes ago, autocardc said:

It’s the same truck, on the visor of both pictures it says awesome kong.

Right, I see that. 

I was saying that the vehicle painted "Avella's" and "Highpoint" are the same truck.  I don't have a time frame as to when the repaint occurred.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

This is a B&B (BIll Bottoms) rotator as well.  It is rated at 85+ tons. Built for Campbell Garage in Ligonier, IN.  Freddy & Dan Campbell called it quits recently so I don't know what became of the truck.  I got to drive it one time and it truly is a monster.  Weight with equipment onboard is between 82 & 83,000# per Dan Campbell but he could be a bit of a blowhard! In the 2nd pic the Ford has a B&B 35 ton stick on it just to give you an idea of the size difference. 

Campbell @ Vomac.jpg

US30 & 800E 06-21-09 x.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

Wow! Sweet CL. Is it an E9? How many rears are drives and lifts? Is B&B still in business?

The CL did not have the E9 in it.  I cannot remember which engine was spec'd for it but I believe it was a 454.  The 1st two axles are lifts. They serve two purposes. To support the truck and to help stop it.  A mechanic at Vomac took it for a test drive at some point someone had lifted the axles while it was at the dealership. Not thinking about this he had it up to 55 on the highway prepared to slow and make his turn, again the axles were up, he over shot his turn by a LONG shot.  It was after this and an exchange between the service writer and Freddy Campbell, that I got a call, from Campbell's, asking me to please go to the dealership (At the time I operated the dealerships recovery truck) and test drive their truck to confirm the issues were corrected.

Bill Bottoms passed away a few years back and I really don't know if B&B is still building recovery trucks or not.  I've been away from that world for over 7 years now.

Below is the truck I operated at that time.

1995 CH613.jpg

• Like 1

That's a sharp looking CH too Terry.  I like that!

Ya, I didn't notice the E7 numbers on the door bottoms of the CL until after I posted, LOL I just saw the Elite badges on the grill and couldn't tell if it also said E9 500.

I had also thought I had read that Bill Bottoms had passed away but I wasn't certain. They built some pretty cool stuff.

• Like 1