11 hours ago, Whiskymack said:

I hadn't noticed the difference before. I had a look through a few pictures and see what you mean.  All the B's I looked at and a G have the ends of the springs trapped in a kind of collar against what looks like a pad or roller. There is also a cross brace spanning across the underside of the hangers closing off the collar. The DM800 model I am making has this arrangement. Some of the early metal dash R's also had the collar arrangement though I'm not sure if the cross brace was used. All the later R's had shackles. All the Western R's I have seen had shackles and the image of the fishbelly frame looks like it has hangars designed to take shackles.  Judging by the age of the trucks I am guessing it was a design change, maybe late 60's or thereabouts because I haven't come across a newer truck with the collar. I suppose it might also have been an option.

On the topic of B cabs, on pure aesthetics, I like the curvy cab because of the purity of the design: all curves and very 1950's. I can also see that from a practical view the L cab offered a bit more for the driver. I think the L cab looked especially great on the LT but it does look like a design from an earlier era (in my opinion.)

Not almost what you meant. That collar and pin setup was used on DM's including DM800 you are building. The style with rubber pads I mentioned was what was used on L-models including LT's. I have that setup in my 1945 military Mack. The front axle assembly used there was off a L-model I belive. The picture of the light green frame (not khaky) is a C-model front spring rear bracket. As you can see its body is similar to a R-model part by the shape but accomodates the spring end in rubber pads clamped with a cover. Difficult to see on the below the chassis picture but you can if zoom in.

Vnukovo.04.2013.00406_resize.JPG

NR01.2013.00398_resize.JPG

NR01.2013.00397_resize.JPG

US_06.2018.7042_resize.jpg

US_06.2018.7514_resize.jpg

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

11 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Not almost what you meant. That collar and pin setup was used on DM's including DM800 you are building. The style with rubber pads I mentioned was what was used on L-models including LT's. I have that setup in my 1945 military Mack. The front axle assembly used there was off a L-model I belive. The picture of the light green frame (not khaky) is a C-model front spring rear bracket. As you can see its body is similar to a R-model part by the shape but accomodates the spring end in rubber pads clamped with a cover. Difficult to see on the below the chassis picture but you can if zoom in.

I can see what you mean. The spring is clamped between the two ends of the rubber which is different to the collar arrangement which I thought you meant. Maybe this style predates the collar set up. More research needed!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whiskymack said:

I can see what you mean. The spring is clamped between the two ends of the rubber which is different to the collar arrangement which I thought you meant. Maybe this style predates the collar set up. More research needed!

The concept behind the insulated spring mounting arrangement is rooted back to Mack Trucks chief engineer and vice president Alfred Masury.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the many famous achievements of the Masury-led research and development department of the International Motor Company was elaborate experimentation in the early 1920s to measure the effects on tires and suspension systems of both pneumatic and solid-tired trucks when run at speed off an inclined ramp. The project originated from Masury’s desire to investigate the attributes of the recently introduced Belflex composition rubber spring shackle. Five Mack trucks ranging in capacity from 1-1/2 to 5 tons were driven at speeds of 15 to 18 miles per hour up a 1-1/2 foot tall ramp, during which time the effects on the tires and suspension systems were recorded utilizing an advanced new “Novograph” motion picture camera capable of taking pictures at a rate of 144 frames per second. Given the ability to review the video test results in slow motion, the Masury team developed and patented the Mack Rubber Shock Insulator in 1921.The technology was first utilized on the AB, a cushion connection between the spring ends and chassis. Mack’s use of live rubber cushioning technology extended over the 1921-1927 period to engine, transmission radiator steering gear and cab mounting.

As pneumatic tires for medium and heavy trucks at this time was still under development, the fitment of Mack’s Rubber Shock Insulator technology to solid tire trucks greatly prolonged component life by damping harmful shock and vibrations.

The potential of Mack’s Rubber Shock Insulator technology was so great that the International Motor Company formed the Rubber Shock Insulator Company in January 1922. Thru licensing agreements, Mack’s Rubber Shock Insulator technology was used by Chrysler, Peerless and Yellow Cab (Yellow Coach Manufacturing Company).

Always thinking outside the traditional box, Alfred Masury and colleague Emil C. Fink jointly patented a shock-insulated railroad track design, an advanced rail fastening system for attaching rails to railroad ties (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/1619028.pdf).

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/39563-mack-remembrance-–-alfred-fellows-masury/

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 12:02 PM, kscarbel2 said:

The concept behind the insulated spring mounting arrangement is rooted back to Mack Trucks chief engineer and vice president Alfred Masury.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the many famous achievements of the Masury-led research and development department of the International Motor Company was elaborate experimentation in the early 1920s to measure the effects on tires and suspension systems of both pneumatic and solid-tired trucks when run at speed off an inclined ramp. The project originated from Masury’s desire to investigate the attributes of the recently introduced Belflex composition rubber spring shackle. Five Mack trucks ranging in capacity from 1-1/2 to 5 tons were driven at speeds of 15 to 18 miles per hour up a 1-1/2 foot tall ramp, during which time the effects on the tires and suspension systems were recorded utilizing an advanced new “Novograph” motion picture camera capable of taking pictures at a rate of 144 frames per second. Given the ability to review the video test results in slow motion, the Masury team developed and patented the Mack Rubber Shock Insulator in 1921.The technology was first utilized on the AB, a cushion connection between the spring ends and chassis. Mack’s use of live rubber cushioning technology extended over the 1921-1927 period to engine, transmission radiator steering gear and cab mounting.

As pneumatic tires for medium and heavy trucks at this time was still under development, the fitment of Mack’s Rubber Shock Insulator technology to solid tire trucks greatly prolonged component life by damping harmful shock and vibrations.

The potential of Mack’s Rubber Shock Insulator technology was so great that the International Motor Company formed the Rubber Shock Insulator Company in January 1922. Thru licensing agreements, Mack’s Rubber Shock Insulator technology was used by Chrysler, Peerless and Yellow Cab (Yellow Coach Manufacturing Company).

Always thinking outside the traditional box, Alfred Masury and colleague Emil C. Fink jointly patented a shock-insulated railroad track design, an advanced rail fastening system for attaching rails to railroad ties (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/1619028.pdf).

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/39563-mack-remembrance-–-alfred-fellows-masury/

Sorry, Getting in a mess with the multiquoting!

Masury sounds like quite an individual! I think It's time for a re-read of Montville.

It looks like the rubber insulated spring mount stayed in production for a long time if it was still being used on the C series in 1963. Was it offered as an option alongside the collar and pin and standard shackle or was it replaced by these?

Here's a picture of the hanger on the above C series. It looks pretty much the same as the one in Vlad's picture.

DSCF0123.JPG