Coronavirus News Updates

kscarbel2

Fellow BMT members, I began this thread meant as a serious discussion on Covid-19 developments.

If you believe  the virus is a hoax, lie or other, or have other thoughts unrelated to serious discussion of the virus, I humbly ask you to please by all means post your feelings on the CoronaFarce-rus thread which is, by name, intended for such thoughts.

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/60880-coronafarce-rus/

• Like 2

Barron's  /  July 10, 2020

Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas Bank President Robert Kaplan urged Americans to wear a mask, saying that it doing so would help the economy grow faster by slowing the spread of coronavirus. “If we all wore a mask, it would substantially mute the transmission of this disease and we would grow faster,” Kaplan said. “We would have a lower unemployment rate. We’d grow [the economy] faster and we’d be far less likely to slow some of our reopenings.”

On 7/9/2020 at 10:25 PM, kscarbel2 said:

The US has 4 percent of the global population.........and 25 percent of infections.........from a virus that began on the other side of the world.

A record 62,751 new infections were reported across the US on Wednesday, including 9,979 in Texas and 11,694 in California.

This to me would clearly have to show that people in the US are doing something wrong with their response to Covid 19

Whether thats people not taking it seriously or there isnt any medical help I dont know, I suspect it's the first one though reading thru this forum and some responses I have read 

This forum I feel would be a good representation of the citizens of the US 

Just as a truck forum in Australia would be a good representation of the citizens of Australia 

Maybe there's some food for thought in my reply, it isn't pointing fingers but just a outsider looking in and I hope it's taken that way

Paul

• Like 2

One of the measures of the severity of a disaster is the undercount of deaths- For example we still don't have a certain count of the fatalities in the Galveston hurricane, the great Mississippi flood of the 1920s, and the recent hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico. This undercount has occurred again in hard hit areas of the NY metro area when the hospitals and ambulance services  were so overwhelmed that many COVID-19 sufferers never made it to the hospital and got tested and diagnosed with COVID-19. Fortunately the statisticians can pretty accurately give us a count by comparing the number of deaths from past years with the death count during the worst of the pandemic, and those stats show that if anything, COVID-10 deaths are being undercounted.

• Haha 1

Science ?? according to who the New York Post fake media, what do you troll sites till you find some nut job that spews crap you agree with, put your man in office and the virus will all but  disappear, you know the left is blowing this out of proportion, just like spying on a  US citizen based on false information,  it is all related,  the virus, spying on Carter Page and the investigation into a phony Russian collusion 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, david wild said:

If the true numbers were put forth I would have no problem and would not challenge your post but they are not, a person dying from lung cancer but aggravated is listed as a virus death and that is wrong, remember AIDS and how it was going to wipe out people from all groups but today AIDS is not very much of a concern, seems like you hear that some person has it takes meds and moves on,  I have no problem with any one talking about the virus but at least admit that if Biden was President it would be a minor news story and  real fair reporting of deaths from just the virus and you would see  the numbers cut in half, I just want honest conversation not hyped up hysteria.

This thread isn't about politics David. Joe Schmo could be president for all intents and purposes. This global pandemic, this virus, doesn't care about political differences.

• Thanks 1

I did look into the actual total death numbers and what I found was that your 2.8 million number is very accurate, and reflects the projected number of deaths in the US for 2020

What I did find is that between March 1 and April 25 there were approximately 550,000 deaths recorded in the US of these 50,000 met the criteria to be caused by covid 19.

So this works out to an average of 25,000 deaths per month

This is substantially less than the 40,000 deaths per month that are attributed to smoking

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joseph Moody Jr said:

You choose to smoke or not

You chose to drive or not

You choose to drink Alcohol Beverages or not

You choose to get annual flu shot or not

However people did not choose to get this virus

OH you never heard of second hand smoke ?? and what does the choice have to do with it, you tell me I have to wear mask and not attend functions ?? I don't and won't wear a mask and if I want to attend a Trump rally that is my call just like your defending smoking, how do you claim there are not the same, read what you wrote one is voluntary and the other is not ?? piss on the virus and having a father that smoked all my child hood I can tell you about the shit that goes with smoking it is a vile disgusting habit and you can't say the two are any different. And as far as driving a lowered speed limit on the east  coast would save lives and if the State Troopers did there job and stopped having to worry about the racial crap they would enforce the laws better cause here in GA a Trooper thinks twice about ticketing a black for fear of getting wrote up. people don't choose to get killed by a drunk driver, I get to help my buddy who owns the largest wrecker service in our area, come work a fatal drunk wreck and then spout off about drinking, you'll change your tune real quick when watch them extracting the  bodies of the parents and or the children. grow up. 

• Like 2

Pfizer and BioNTech receive permission from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to "fast-track" two vaccine candidates.

Two of Pfizer and BioNTech’s four investigational mRNA-based vaccine candidates received fast track designation from the FDA.

he designation was granted based on preliminary data from phase 1/2 studies that are currently ongoing in the U.S. and Germany as well as animal studies.

The companies said a large, global Phase 2b/3 study may begin as early as this month.

And I  will explain my comment 
I cant see how this has any bearing on Coronavirus news or Coronavirus at all
It's just people have a barney about who's more right about a subject that isnt even related Coronavirus at all
Now Im going off on a tangent and you can can me all you like 
As a teenager growing up I like a lot of teenagers struggled to get along with my parents 
When I was in my early twenties my brother gave me some advice that I still use to this day "you dont have to be right, you dont have to have a argument about every little thing, you can yell and abuse Mum and Dad on the way home in your ute. That way every visit is a good visit" 
I lost my farther nearly 2 months ago and as we were driving Mum back to her place from the funeral home I reminded my brother of his advice 
I also thanked him because it meant that the rest of my life with my parents was argument free, it meant my son grew up knowing and loving his grand parents for whom and what they are and not any prejudices that I might have
This doesn't mean I just rolled over and was treated like crap, it just meant that my life has been a whole lot richer because of some simple advice I followed and choosing my actions and responses a lot better 
Maybe there's a lesson in there for some people, maybe not and Im gunna cop a mouthful 

Paul 

Good advice

Another one is “you can pick and choose your friends and neighbors but you are stuck with your family and you need to find a way to get along”

The problem with a lot of the millennials today, the 20 year old, is the blatant disrespect they have for there parents and elders.

My 23 year old son is this way and wants to change the world. He was surprised when both of his parents hanged up on him and told him to do something and stop yelling at us.

I could go on for a while but I will end it here
  • Like 1

Well I would say there is no doubt that many deaths attributed to covid 19 would have happened  if the infected had come down with the flue or a bad cold never mind covid.  But to put covid in perspective, someone sent me the following description of what it means to go on a ventilator.  I had no  clue it was this bad so I sent it to my sister-in-law  who is a retired nurse practioner (nurse with typically a masters degree) for her comment.  Her response..."that is why I'm listed as "DNR"!"

We do not want this!  Pay attention; be careful!

Why People who are 60+ must stay home and not take any risks at all

Written by a nurse who works with ventilators.

*For those people who don't understand what it means to be on a ventilator

*For starters, a ventilator is NOT an oxygen mask put over the mouth while the patient is comfortably lying down and reading magazines.*

*Ventilation for Covid-19 is a painful intubation that goes down your throat and stays there until you live or you die. It is done under anesthesia for 2 to 3 weeks without moving, often upside down, with a tube inserted from the mouth up to the trachea and allows you to breathe to the rhythm of the lung machine.*

*The patient can't talk or eat, or do anything naturally - the machine keeps you alive. The discomfort and pain they feel from this means medical experts have to administer sedatives and painkillers to ensure tube tolerance for as long as the machine is needed. It's like being in an artificial coma.*

*After 20 days from this treatment, a young patient loses 40% muscle mass, and gets mouth or vocal cords trauma, as well as possible pulmonary or heart complications.*

*It is for this reason that old or already weak people can't withstand the treatment and die. Many of us are in this boat ... so stay safe unless you want to take the chance of ending up here. This is NOT the flu.*

*Add a tube into your stomach, either through your nose or skin for liquid food, a sticky bag around your butt to collect the diarrhea, a foley to collect urine, an IV for fluids and meds, an A-line to monitor your BP that is completely dependent upon finely calculated med doses, teams of nurses, CRNA’s and MA’s to reposition your limbs every two hours and lying on a mat that circulates ice cold fluid to help bring down your 104 temperature.

Hence, I request all my Senior Citizen friends, do not go out*

*Stop the spread Stay Safe, Stay Home and well.....

PLEASE SHARE Thanks!
  • Like 2