That is nice. Color works well too.

Excellent bob

Sharp looking U model. The trailer next to it looks like a see-through display trailer with an old pickup in it. I don't believe I've ever seen one of those.

It was a see through show trailer with a hot rod El Camino inside, I believe?  Looked for a picture but I can't find one.

9 hours ago, h67st said:

Sharp looking U model. The trailer next to it looks like a see-through display trailer with an old pickup in it. I don't believe I've ever seen one of those.

There is a NASCAR display transporter based along I-85 in Gaffney SC with a whole fleet of those trailers.

I thought in 72 they were still steel dash? Good lookin truck anyways, always liked the U’s.

Beautiful truck.

49 minutes ago, 1965 said:

I thought in 72 they were still steel dash? Good lookin truck anyways, always liked the U’s.

That's right.  I knew the previous owner who had put a better cab on the truck and it was from a late 70's U model with the plastic dash.

• Like 1

What was the U model built for. I know mack had a reason for that offset cab, I've just never heard it.

2 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

What was the U model built for. I know mack had a reason for that offset cab, I've just never heard it.

the U had a 90  BBC and was designed to compete with the likes of the White 9000 initially and then for sure when the LN Ford came out as more operators went to 45' boxes.

On 3/27/2020 at 12:33 PM, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

Various states had short length laws, SO shorter tractors meant longer trailers.

Plus the offset cab allowed better visibility to the rear.

And of course gave much more room for the driver than if the cab had been centered.  Now the passenger, not so much.  

13 hours ago, Jeff M said:

And of course gave much more room for the driver than if the cab had been centered.  Now the passenger, not so much.  

I heard somewhere that a lot were ordered without a passenger seat!

13 hours ago, Jeff M said:

Makes you wonder if the cab offset was a visibility thing or just neccesary because the engine was sitting in the drivers lap.

4 hours ago, Whiskymack said:

I heard somewhere that a lot were ordered without a passenger seat!

Right you are.  The code for the cab with rider seat was CA361 and CA362 was without rider seat.

4 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

Makes you wonder if the cab offset was a visibility thing or just neccesary because the engine was sitting in the drivers lap.

Both.  Mack's "Commandcab" had increase visibility and the drivers feet needed someplace to go since the cab was also pushed forward.  The use of offset cabs by Mack in certain applications goes back into the 1940's.

32 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Both.  Mack's "Commandcab" had increase visibility and the drivers feet needed someplace to go since the cab was also pushed forward.  The use of offset cabs by Mack in certain applications goes back into the 1940's.

Right Jim ..Like this old  dude.. Currently residing in the woods on Rt. 62 Sterling, MA

100_0434.jpg

100_0435.jpg

• Like 1

Some truck makers tipped the engine to the right side in their cab forward trucks. Mack moved the cab to the left.

I also I heard from someone that has one it helped alot when backing up to stick your head out the window because sometimes the mirror would be vibrating so much

My dad had one U model in his fleet, the thing got wrecked 3 or 4 times before he finally said "no more!" and junked it.

Yep. I have spent some time in a DM. You have to get used to the offset. It's different.