Tranny jack

Hobert62

On 3/27/2020 at 9:35 PM, Coenut said:

I have the jack you need. It's yours to borrow if you want too. 

I greatly appreciate the offer, but I really don’t like borrowing tools.    Your kindness does show how great of group this really is, considering I don’t think our paths have ever crossed.  Thank you!

On 3/27/2020 at 8:59 AM, JoeH said:

We have the harbor freight truck trans jack, works well but you may want to make your own deck adapter to hold the transmission. The "safety" chain is a joke, and the 4 angle iron feet that bolt to the deck are slippery.  Jack handle is very nice, it pivots around so you can operate it from almost anywhere.

The jack is also nice to use for spoke hubs.

Thanks too!  One thing nice about the HF stuff is the price.  I’ve had a few things I welded on / modified as soon as I brought them home.   It was almost what I wanted when I bought it, but til I was done it was what I wanted.  

• 1 month later...

I borrowed my buddies jack for this weekend.   It’s a very nice simple design utilizing a bottle jack.     I believe it was some type of military surplus. I decided to copy it and build my own.   So far I had a lot of the stuff laying around.     I’m going to a 4 wheel setup instead of 3 though, and to simplify some thing it’s gonna sit about 2” higher off the ground    

B474B3A9-7DAC-40F7-BA72-2BC9EF80498F.thumb.jpeg.4be529186c0a4a8d8a0e0b432e4c5973.jpegA2C69AED-DFE2-4E39-BA81-B253B4D1D952.thumb.jpeg.bebf8e1d8fb1d82b16af542917a61c0a.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Judging by those tires in the picture I think he's got that covered already!

At the moment 2” won’t mean much at all. I understand terry’s point though.    Never know what the next project will be.  E79E2C28-BA32-44C0-9DF7-4464626F8422.thumb.jpeg.126c56f2b4a7a9c28f6f2a24c67e6a1b.jpeg

• Like 1

Came  right out once I figured what to do at clutch linkage.   Now any suggestions how to hold the engine up?    It’s currently sitting on a large oak block and 20 ton bottle jack off bell housing .   The trucks going to have to move forward about 20’ when it’s time to pull engine (my garage isn’t big enough). 

As I recall, you can also cut a pipe the expanse of the inside of the frame rails. Lay the pipe crossways tight up to the open bell. Insert 2 bolts about 5” long into the bellhousing mount face wherever is close to the pipe... maybe 4 o’clock and 8 o’clock. Rest the engine onto the cross-pipe via the over-length bell bolts.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

As I recall, you can also cut a pipe the expanse of the inside of the frame rails. Lay the pipe crossways tight up to the open bell. Insert 2 bolts about 5” long into the bellhousing mount face wherever is close to the pipe... maybe 4 o’clock and 8 o’clock. Rest the engine onto the cross-pipe via the over-length bell bolts.  

I thought of using a chain around frame and some bell housing bolts but they are only 3/8” bolts and didn’t know if 2 would be heavy enough.  

I put a chain under the pan up to both frame rails ever time some of us pull a trans for safety.I have did this for years and will do this in about two weeks on the one i drive.I also put a jack under flywheel housing and if pan comes off then you have alot of things to use.

• Like 1

glenn akers

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, terry said:

Some of the mack transmissions are pretty long, hope when it is balanced tail shaft does not hit the bottle jack.    terry:MackLogo:

My Mack Tranny is already out.   Prob be the last one I have.(but I could be wrong). The one I copied the yoke sat right on top of the crossbar for jack just like it was made for it.         

Edited by Hobert62
  • Like 1