41chevy

Most enjoyable day today

Looks like some good eating there! 👍  terry:MackLogo:

I can remember dad going out to the local farmer where ever our jobs were at,and buying the whole cow and having the farmer butcher it up.

Lived across the street from a place called "Springfield Dressed Beef" and Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday were "kill days". Not for the faint hearted. They'd bring Monday's cattle delivery, (usually 300 head) into the building via chute, a 22short between the eyes, drop the side, log chain around the rear feet via chain fall on a roller track,  hoist up and over to the "bleed out" pit, (sewer) stick a 24" knife into the throat and split if from neck to chest for between 19-30 gallons of blood to drain, then over to the dressing station(s). The carcass had different processes it went through at each station. Quick, clean, orderly and they'd have the delivery complete and cooling or shipped within four hours.

Friday was steam cleaning day and the whole building interior from floor to ceiling was disinfected and the "tank" where the pit discharged into was pumped.

We still have butcher houses and cattle here supplying the local grocery stores. Right now they cannot keep up with demand.

If a local cattle farmer takes his cow in for slaughter you can bet he is going to get "his" meat from that cow back. Many around here will not eat meat from the grocery stores but rather purchase from the local meat lockers whether it be steak, pork, or fowl.

• Like 1

The New Constable is 20 / 22 years old and the son of one of the board members and has zero training in law or weapons. The mayor knew what I was doing and brought him for the specific reason of tossing his cookies.I give the mayor all the feet and knuckles each spring. Some people like them, not me.

Pigs I split from head to tail. Still have half a dozen more come fall. By next month the lambs, rabbits and chickens will be up on deck.

God love ya .id like to be there sharing all that meat.........that’s  what I think about my stepdaughter and her goofy husband that live in Boston  I call them the royalty of New England right now their stuck in the house with their 2 small daughters ... lol have a ball... bob

that bring back memories of growing up on the farm. 

we used to process between 75 and 80 pigs every year. 

and if we did not have large pigs, the local stores would by 600 pounders and we would pick them up, and butcher them for them. 

the butcher shop is still there, but rarely used any more.

Funny story on getting a pig Me and abby went over to the next farm and Gar raised white pigs we needed one for the market truck.In the bottom of the barn was about 50 150 lbs pigs we picked one out and i told ab don't screw this up make sure you shoot it right with the 22 pistol well he shot and the pig did a flip and landed back on his feet and took off  we spent some time looking for that damn pig  i shot it this time. 

nothing worse than a pig that don't want to die.

up until two years ago we did a pig roast twice a year. usually around 90 lbs.

i have been toying with the idea of making a cuban oven for smaller pigs.

21 hours ago, mowerman said:

God love ya .id like to be there sharing all that meat.........that’s  what I think about my stepdaughter and her goofy husband that live in Boston  I call them the royalty of New England right now their stuck in the house with their 2 small daughters ... lol have a ball... bob

From one small pig.

1835936011_onepig200lbs.jpg.09c0a613269502430010c7ec0dc03922.jpg

21 hours ago, davehummell said:

How things change when i was little my gram and i would walk up to the neighbors and get a chicken for Sunday dinner she would kill it in the yard and we would be eating it for dinner. I have helped butcher cows hogs chickens not for the feint of heart. god only knows how many deer i cut up use to finish the cuts on the butcher block in the kitchen. For years we only eat deer meat made my own hamburg and sausage. I never buy meat at the grocery store use a guy i know for years he sells me what i want. This year i'm going to get out and fish a little harder for crappy and panfish fried up they are as good as any other fish. 

My wife used to name all the lambs, I'd put their names on the cure wrap. She was slick, when came time to cook one she'd ask me to bring in what ever name she saw on the wrap.

I trade off pork to a farmer down the road for the equal weight in fresh beef.  I grew up near grandmas farm, tons of fresh potatos, vegies, Rhubarb,  eggs, chicken and fresh milk. Pears and apples right off the trees, a walk to the L.I. Sound or the Great South Bay for fish, clams and muscles, farm pond for fish and Laurel Lake for Bass and Trout.  Still do most all of that. Have not bought anything but coffee, Moxie, spices and Fritos in a grocery store for probably 35 or more years.

Paul - 

I would love to know what the cost to acquire (raise, feed, vet, etc.) your protein compared to store bought.  Obviously there is a freshness component that you have that is superior to the store, but I have too many times heard that it is free when you have your own to slaughter.  Clearly it is not.  Would you estimate that your cost is 90% less than store?  75%? 50%?  Then too you have the factor that allows you to sell some which offsets cost, especially if you build some profit into your sale price after accounting for your time and labor to raise, feed, vet, slaughter etc.

It is probably a pipe dream at 43 years old, but I know enough to be dangerous at raising our own food.  My wife and I think often of what moving from our current life would be like.

37 minutes ago, General Ike said:

Paul - 

I would love to know what the cost to acquire (raise, feed, vet, etc.) your protein compared to store bought.  Obviously there is a freshness component that you have that is superior to the store, but I have too many times heard that it is free when you have your own to slaughter.  Clearly it is not.  Would you estimate that your cost is 90% less than store?  75%? 50%?  Then too you have the factor that allows you to sell some which offsets cost, especially if you build some profit into your sale price after accounting for your time and labor to raise, feed, vet, slaughter etc.

It is probably a pipe dream at 43 years old, but I know enough to be dangerous at raising our own food.  My wife and I think often of what moving from our current life would be like.

You could raise your own food just do your home work (like you are) ask lots of questions and be fully prepared before bringing a critter home and having to learn on the fly while scrambling for supplies. I have a good deal going. I have a tractor, a friend has a hay pasture. I use my tractor to help put up hay, in return I get farm raised critters and part of the hay. The other part of the hay goes to feed out packing stock which carry out any where from 1-5 elk every year for us along with several deer. My wife and I never have to buy meat (and never have had to) from a store unless we feel like it. It’s kind of nice being somewhat independent. We cure our own meats, make our own sausage and vacuum seal and can our own meats and many of our vegetables. We cook quite often in my Dutch ovens on our patio over wood or coal because we enjoy the process. To me it’s important to be part of the process of getting food to my table directly. I love the animals and have great respect for the and taking their lives to feed my family is something that I’m grateful for. 

I look at the meat and pork in the local supermarkets and i then go over to the guy i know and pay half as much. Thirty years ago me and my friend bob plumbed his store so when i go in he will take care of me. I raise chickens and i trade eggs for stuff. I have some angora goats and my girlfriend spins the cape wool into clothing she does that instead of giving Christmas presents. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, davehummell said:

I look at the meat and pork in the local supermarkets and i then go over to the guy i know and pay half as much. Thirty years ago me and my friend bob plumbed his store so when i go in he will take care of me. I raise chickens and i trade eggs for stuff. I have some angora goats and my girlfriend spins the cape wool into clothing she does that instead of giving Christmas presents. 

It truly makes me happy seeing people from all over the country that hasn’t lost the self reliance that made this country. It gets depressing on the occasion that I catch the news when over at friends place and it’s nothing but doom and gloom and social media crap. This thread is refreshing break from the norm for me. 

• Like 1

Most if not all of the people here are better than the average sheep that our society is creating.

• Like 1

our production cost was almost zero. we fed the pigs leftovers from the farm .

any produce that did not sell that day in the farm stands was fed to the pigs.

chickens were pretty much wild, they fed themselves while roaming the yard. 

the chickens also kept bugs almost non existent.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tjc transport said:

our production cost was almost zero. we fed the pigs leftovers from the farm .

any produce that did not sell that day in the farm stands was fed to the pigs.

chickens were pretty much wild, they fed themselves while roaming the yard. 

the chickens also kept bugs almost non existent.  

Can't have a farm stand in my piece of paradise in  Va  unless it is ADA compliant unless it was grandfathered in. . .not even a self serve table with a money jar. Libs killed all that now that the village is incorporated. It turned into a giant home owners association. Maine I can do pretty much anything but have no animals there.