Mack 85,000-pound Tandem Axles Available

kscarbel2

Its odd to me that Mack is offering these heavy rear ends yet removed themselves from the big HP market. in most cases the heavier the GVWR of the truck the more HP is speced under the hood.

it like saying Mack has heavy rears to carry the load but we fall short in the HP to move it ( when compared to other MFG) not the idea way imo

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lmackattack said:

Its odd to me that Mack is offering these heavy rear ends yet removed themselves from the big HP market. in most cases the heavier the GVWR of the truck the more HP is speced under the hood.

it like saying Mack has heavy rears to carry the load but we fall short in the HP to move it ( when compared to other MFG) not the idea way imo

Can you say neutered?  Probably offer the heavy rears to get a customer in the door.  Then when they find out they can’t spec what they want under the hood the sly salesman pitches them a Volvo. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

9 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Nobody hated Rockwell's "Stopmaster" wedge-type brakes back in the 1970's and 1980's more than me. Nobody.

However, the modern European wedge brakes actually work well. Solid performance, lower cost and lighter weight wheel ends.

Wedge brakes on my 74 RL797 work very well. Never been into them myself so can't answer as to why they work but they will put you into the glass if panic applied and not ready for it. Never have had a wheel end open so can't vouch for anything about them at all. 

I remember well when they were common,  but I've never worked on a set myself. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

27 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

Can you say neutered?  Probably offer the heavy rears to get a customer in the door.  Then when they find out they can’t spec what they want under the hood the sly salesman pitches them a Volvo. 

But isn't the MP series engine a rebadged Volvo design?

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks Kevin for posting up the Midliner stuff. Those trucks will always hold a special place in me as they rendered such good service. Not once did any have to be retrieved away from the shop. Only one that was marginal was a water pump loss. It was summer and the driver stopped every 50 miles or so on Rt. 54 through Missouri to refill with water and made it all the way home without overheating. I gave him an extra "Franklin" for looking after my equipment like that. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

There are three Midliners in the town near me. One is a boom truck and two are tractors. And they are still going strong. Actually 4.....there is a box van with a paper shredder in it.

I sold two of mine to a auto body repair outfit in Missouri, and one to a private owner to haul his Packard limousine car. I heard my black one burnt up in a building fire a couple years after being sold. Sure missed that one as most around here knew me by that truck as rollbacks weren't all that popular in those days; but were gaining.

I'd be willing to purchase another CS-300P if could be found without rust, which will be hard to do.

Edited by Rob

3 hours ago, Rob said:

But isn't the MP series engine a rebadged Volvo design?

But you can get an X15 as an option for Volvo but not a Mack so yes neutered. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

On 3/18/2020 at 10:10 AM, kscarbel2 said:

Nobody hated Rockwell's "Stopmaster" wedge-type brakes back in the 1970's and 1980's more than me. Nobody.

However, the modern European wedge brakes actually work well. Solid performance, lower cost and lighter weight wheel ends.

Can you elaborate as to the disadvantages of stopmaster brakes?  I have them on two trucks but i'am not an expert.  The first truck( 361 brockway) has served me well but i just got the second one( DM685).

On 3/17/2020 at 10:19 PM, Red Horse said:

12R-24 rear tires???

Are the question marks related to the nomenclature?  12.00r24 .    I was recently scolded by the tire salesman when i asked for 11r24 tires.  he tried to get me 11r24.5 tires.  when i told him that was not what i wanted.  He says " you mean 11 hunderd R 24".  

2 hours ago, 6368 said:

Can you elaborate as to the disadvantages of stopmaster brakes?  I have them on two trucks but i'am not an expert.  The first truck( 361 brockway) has served me well but i just got the second one( DM685).

When maintained properly, they worked. But "Q" style brakes never required extra maintenance effort (and today's disc brakes beat "Q" brakes all-around).

I have planetary’s on the Marmon Herrington front axle on my navy truck. They are just fine at 58 miles per hour, no real heat build up, just warm to the touch. My only issue is the seals Marmon Herrington uses are wet and the planetary only holds about a quart so they are checked regularly

46887660d4a56c549f051b8517dd21ee.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 6368 said:

Are the question marks related to the nomenclature?  12.00r24 .    I was recently scolded by the tire salesman when i asked for 11r24 tires.  he tried to get me 11r24.5 tires.  when i told him that was not what i wanted.  He says " you mean 11 hunderd R 24".  

"24".... not 24.5.  Must be a misprint.  If not I would like to know who is  supplying them.