And so it begins

8 minutes ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

Then it would have been nice of you to start with a less complete truck rather than butchering a complete one. IMHO

You must be a skinny midget or never been around a b67 with a concave cab then.   It was a running driving truck when I bought it.  I drove it a couple month before I cut the frame off behind the cab for the stretch.   Kinda defeated the purpose of the short hood and cancave cab   With the new 16’ wheelbase.   

8 minutes ago, keg1 said:

i love when people tell you what you should do with things you work for and pay for with your money. you should have left  it sitting in the weeds somewhere rusting away instead of doing what you want with it. ill bet the coronavirus made you do it. keep up the good work

No coronavirus for me.  I’m stocked up on high quality China made safety masks from harbor freight.  Lol.     I respect a lot of people’s knowledge and experience on this forum.    I really like seeing pictures of people’s projects(including yours).  That’s why I post mine.   There are a lot of trucks on here that are absolutely beautiful originals.   Some sit in museums and others that should.    I really respect the time, skill, and $ people put into them.   That being said, I don’t want a truck like that.   I’ve had this hooked to a pulling sled a dozen times, drove through down pours, and had it stuck in the mud.   I get home dump a gallon of oil in it and it’s good for the next time.     My goal now is to give “back in black” some burnout competition at the gerhart show. Lol

211C60F6-B8F5-46FF-BA09-FC4D1308108D.thumb.jpeg.db58ec7575876bcbc01266ec39c86853.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hobert62 said:

C series.  8.3L 505 cubic inch.   It’s big brother to the 12 valve in the dodges.  Very similar fuel system but has wet liners like the 855’s

Should be a good fit then.   terry:MackLogo:

4 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

You must be a skinny midget or never been around a b67 with a concave cab then.   It was a running driving truck when I bought it.  I drove it a couple month before I cut the frame off behind the cab for the stretch.   Kinda defeated the purpose of the short hood and cancave cab   With the new 16’ wheelbase.   

You'll have a lot more room under the hood with a C8.3 Cummins for sure. Plenty of power too. You going to air to air it or run without intercooling? I've had C series on generator sets push 300kw for hours on end but they will require charge air cooling. Versatile tractors used the series juiced to 350hp and they will live if not abused.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

3 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

No coronavirus for me.  I’m stocked up on high quality China made safety masks from harbor freight.  Lol.     I respect a lot of people’s knowledge and experience on this forum.    I really like seeing pictures of people’s projects(including yours).  That’s why I post mine.   There are a lot of trucks on here that are absolutely beautiful originals.   Some sit in museums and others that should.    I really respect the time, skill, and $ people put into them.   That being said, I don’t want a truck like that.   I’ve had this hooked to a pulling sled a dozen times, drove through down pours, and had it stuck in the mud.   I get home dump a gallon of oil in it and it’s good for the next time.     My goal now is to give “back in black” some burnout competition at the gerhart show. Lol

211C60F6-B8F5-46FF-BA09-FC4D1308108D.thumb.jpeg.db58ec7575876bcbc01266ec39c86853.jpeg

yea i say your truck your money build it the way you want it. i think it looks pretty good. was told that last r model i did was nothing more than a parts truck but i put it to work with no problems and as far as i know its still running up and down the road. i do things the way i want them and don't really care what others think.

• Like 1

My truck is not stock anymore and i just don't give a damn if someone thinks this or that is wrong on my truck at least it is going down the road and not rotting in a field somewhere i think Hobart's truck looks ok to me if i had a cummins laying around i probably would of put it in just because it would be different and they are good engines. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob said:

You'll have a lot more room under the hood with a C8.3 Cummins for sure. Plenty of power too. You going to air to air it or run without intercooling? I've had C series on generator sets push 300kw for hours on end but they will require charge air cooling. Versatile tractors used the series juiced to 350hp and they will live if not abused.

I’m going air to air.   The engine itself is 4”-5” shorter front to back.   My plan is to keep it mounted back in the doghouse gaining the extra space in the front.   Then mounting stock radiator on back side of support instead of on the front like originally.     This and loosing my shutters should give me enough room to stick an intercooler in front of radiator.    Its going to take some time and footwork to find a 3” thick one to fit in the stock grill shell.  If I can’t find a stock one in the bone yards I have a large one out of a rear engine buss with the correct tanks to bring the inlet and outlet out above the radiator tank.   A local radiator shop told me he could recore  it to the width I need.        As for hp this is a 250hp according to the cpl code.   Buddy said we are going to change the pump timing from 12-17 degrees, adj the anaroind, and put a O fuel plate in it.   Should be a safe and reliable 300hp without any parts.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

Inferior is just an  opinion I guess.   If being able to get parts off the shelf about anywhere, almost twice the hp and torque as my n/a673,  being 100 + cubic inches smaller making fit better, and the fact it’s been around for 30 years makes it inferior, then I guess it is.    I also have freightliner air ride,  power steering from a fl70, and front axle from a fld120.  I’m building the truck to use and abuse with parts that are reliable, easily available to me, and have people experienced in working on them.    And mostly because I want to.    

If you're using the Cummins they put in Dodge pickups, that's a good motor. 673 is a good motor but it's old technology and some parts are hard to find.

7 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

Then it would have been nice of you to start with a less complete truck rather than butchering a complete one. IMHO

There are thousands of B models around, it won't hurt to modify a few of them.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally got the engine out today. Made plates that bolted on the intake rear head and the exhaust front.  Came out nice.  

But now I have a question.  My engine is sitting level on blocks on the shop floor and the bell housing has a bolt directly at 12 o’clocK.    The Tranny is also sitting on the floor level and has bolts at 11 & 1.      How is the bolt spacing on a standard B?   I know my pattern is to create the 18 degree tilt of of the engine and keep the tranny level.  Just wondering wich is different for the b67.    C2B8F1B3-8466-4A8A-A233-0273B9BD4C97.thumb.jpeg.f77894933ea29eab5af528b5aed1ffa4.jpeg