RPM Guage - Drive Cable Problem

firenut

I am having problems with my RPM gauge.  The cable broke (tip that goes into the gauge) and I replaced it.   That cable then broke and I replaced both the gauge and the cable again.  Now again the cable broke in the same place.  Can anyone give me some insight on the problem?  I am at a loss...

Did you replace both the cable housing and the drive cable or just the drive cable   Maybe put a little lube in it also    I’ve had the drive pin and adapter on the engine snap too.  Since you replaced the tach head that’s all I can think of

Did you replace the outer casing also?  Or just the inner cable?   The casing itself my have damage that is eating at the cable.

If you replaced both pieces, that's good, but since it broke again with another gauge...that is a mystery.  Does the cable have slack in it?  Pulled tight around something?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

56 minutes ago, mrgumby said:

Did you replace both the cable housing and the drive cable or just the drive cable   Maybe put a little lube in it also    I’ve had the drive pin and adapter on the engine snap too.  Since you replaced the tach head that’s all I can think of

Yep, replaced both, both times.  I'm stuck..on what it could be and at $160 per cable from Mack... it's getting costly...

57 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

Did you replace the outer casing also?  Or just the inner cable?   The casing itself my have damage that is eating at the cable.

If you replaced both pieces, that's good, but since it broke again with another gauge...that is a mystery.  Does the cable have slack in it?  Pulled tight around something?

Yep, replaced both, both times.  I have checked and see no place where it's "over taught".  I am at a complete loss...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Phase 1 said:

Turn the cable at the motor end while it is connected at the tach to see if it turns freely.

Thanks.  I did forget to mention that I did that and it was free.  strange thing is that it happend both times after the truck was running for about 20 minutes..  not immediately...

when you say $160.00 from mack, means buying factory made for truck set up?  reason I ask , is we always made up inner cable or outer housing. I agree with phase1 with manually turn cable . also disconnect from tach and start eng see  how center cable runs. I've seen tangs break off in gauges  bind up cables,  believe you replaced  gauge ,that would eliminate  broken tang thought.   electric drill on  engine side with tach side slightly loose. 

11 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

20 min, was there a plastic insert  in original  housing  for holding cable centered  that was  misplaced .     what is broken  ; cable itself or tang  on end? 

It was the TAC end, not the drive end.  That plastic piece is in good shape.

11 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

when you say $160.00 from mack, means buying factory made for truck set up?  reason I ask , is we always made up inner cable or outer housing. I agree with phase1 with manually turn cable . also disconnect from tach and start eng see  how center cable runs. I've seen tangs break off in gauges  bind up cables,  believe you replaced  gauge ,that would eliminate  broken tang thought.   electric drill on  engine side with tach side slightly loose. 

The cable is complete from Mack as the replacement.  It comes with both pieces (inner and outer).  I would certainly be happy if I could just replace the inner core.... it would seem cheaper.

You really want a gentle or long sloping radius to the routing of those speedo and tach cables. I've seen several through the years broken off from the inner drive cable "whipping" internal to the outer jacket. Lube it up plenty even if brand new in the package till the oil runs out the other end as you pour.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

new cable/gauge  only thing left is like Rob said , the radius.  it would have to be a 90 degree to break that many so soon; doubt it's bent like that. what vehicle is it in ?   been a while since working on fire trucks is there a rpm gauge on control panel ?   I don't remember how  panel gauge gets its source  ;  splitter  box ? either way complete assy  even a little  long shouldn't break. how does the tach work for first 20 minute when running.: bounces, run smooth :  other than angle only thing  left would be wrong cable end . when you tighten cable to gauge it jams cable too tight?  as earlier stated we made them back in the day. there was an assortment with different size ends.  some tangs were longer. leave cable nut a little loose on gauge   run it   ??

9 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

new cable/gauge  only thing left is like Rob said , the radius.  it would have to be a 90 degree to break that many so soon; doubt it's bent like that. what vehicle is it in ?   been a while since working on fire trucks is there a rpm gauge on control panel ?   I don't remember how  panel gauge gets its source  ;  splitter  box ? either way complete assy  even a little  long shouldn't break. how does the tach work for first 20 minute when running.: bounces, run smooth :  other than angle only thing  left would be wrong cable end . when you tighten cable to gauge it jams cable too tight?  as earlier stated we made them back in the day. there was an assortment with different size ends.  some tangs were longer. leave cable nut a little loose on gauge   run it   ??

The TAC cable runs directly from the top of the engine nearest the fan up through the cab floor into the guage.  there is only one way to connect this cable, so I know its correct and I only hand tightened it on the guage end.  You mentioned oil... The Mack store said this cable is ready to install the way it came.  I did not put any oil in it.  could that be the problem?  I didn't notice any in the original cable either.  

Yes, it is ALWAYS a good idea to lube these cables prior to installation. One doesn't know the quality of the assembly lube, nor it's time on the shelf. Use a lubricant that is formulated for this purpose. When I ran the instrument shop the product used was marketed by the aftermarket division of the Stewart-Warner Corp. in a tube. It went in as a thin liquid, and solidified up as it dried. Much the same as good quality roller chain lubricant does which will work also.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.