R Model Fender Light?

I bought this for $11.00, I thought that was cheap. Part number 38 MO 329 P1...is that an R fender light? It's NOS, in perfect condition. If anybody on here wants it for $11.00 plus shipping, let me know. This deal is only for veteran BMT members, if you're a newer member sorry about that.

272.JPG

275.JPG

276.JPG

• Like 1

Looks like the new lights someone installed on the rear of my L before we got it. I think they look awful on the thing but they're nice... you can see them up at the top of the truck on the right side of the hose bed. You'll have to take my word that this is what they look like because the quality isn't good enough... I have a better photo somewhere I'll try and dig up... in this one though you can see the tail light a little better than the others, and all the lights look the same except for color and size...

4FD6DF83-B772-4D22-BD0E-467B8E59C049.jpeg

Just figured I'd mention it... maybe the light you have was sold as a more modern replacement for the old blinkers on Bs, Ls, and similar firetrucks? I have to agree I don't think it's for an R...

Good thing I don't need it though, seeing as I wouldn't exactly qualify as a veteran...

Edited by CaptainCrutch

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

2 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

That ain't right.

I just meant that I wouldn't sell it to someone who just joined the site...believe it or not, there are folks who aren't actually Mack fans that would then put the thing on eBay for $50. You've been on here long enough that I would sell it to you, but Rob put his chip on it already.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, h67st said:

I just meant that I wouldn't sell it to someone who just joined the site...believe it or not, there are folks who aren't actually Mack fans that would then put the thing on eBay for $50. You've been on here long enough that I would sell it to you, but Rob put his chip on it already.

I understand.

33 minutes ago, h67st said:

I think he meant it ain't right for an R model.  And id agree.  The R's I have done have a light like that, they have a pedestal light for the turn signal.  My DM however has a light similar on the side of the fender wheel well, but it sets into the hole with a rubber grommet.

20 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I think he meant it ain't right for an R model.  And id agree.  The R's I have done have a light like that, they have a pedestal light for the turn signal.  My DM however has a light similar on the side of the fender wheel well, but it sets into the hole with a rubber grommet.

Any truck that had the round turn signal lights had to have them for side marker. R models had them too.

I'm not a top notch expert (no matter someone sertified me of know-it-all) but I never saw such turn light on an R-model. I have two R's and DMM and payed attention to the most every R-model I could ever see and I saw them no less than a hundred. All the side fender lights on R's, DM's, DMM's etc were of quite similar style but slightly different. My suggestion that the part showed above was used on early series R's and the most were gone now or swapped with newer version which as I mentioned is very similar.

http://www.wattstruckcenter.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_78&product_id=187

588-800x800.jpg

• Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 2/19/2020 at 12:32 PM, JoeH said:

The little studs that held the light to the fender were subject to corroding as well as the light itself. A quick fix was a sealed Truck-Lite bulb that came with a protected plug and pigtail. A hole saw and you popped in the grommet which was also in the light assembly kit. That fixed it permanently.

• Like 1

Doesn't it look strange with reflector put right near the turn light which already has reflector integrated?

Seems typical for early R's having those additional reflectors. And by this way it seems to me there was a matter for that.

5 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Doesn't it look strange with reflector put right near the turn light which already has reflector integrated?

Seems typical for early R's having those additional reflectors. And by this way it seems to me there was a matter for that.

The top light is actually a clearance light. The typical front turn signal on R models is a double-faced round assembly that is on top of the fender. I suspect that the reflective surface around the light isn't large enough to meet some spec in the FMVSS, therefore the additional reflector. Or, there were a bunch of leftover reflectors in inventory?

17 hours ago, AITG said:

The top light is actually a clearance light. The typical front turn signal on R models is a double-faced round assembly that is on top of the fender. I suspect that the reflective surface around the light isn't large enough to meet some spec in the FMVSS, therefore the additional reflector. Or, there were a bunch of leftover reflectors in inventory?

If you look at the pic of the light in the very beginning of the thread it doesn't have any reflection area. And that part was mentioned as a R-model light. The one I posted with reflector is for R-model also. These are common ones for all late R's, RB,s DM,s etc. And those trucks didn't utilize the additional reflector. The pic of the early R has it what might mean it was needed to be installed. If the light with no reflector was used on R-models originally that could be the reason to install a separate reflector nearby. Than later Mack or vendor improved the light adding reflection area and the separate part became useless. This is my suggestion, I don't have a track to original source of info.

The original posting is not a side marker lamp. Neither was it originally for an R series. While most parking lamps were white on the B series, you could get amber for under the headlamps and that is what this lamp was originally for.

• Like 2

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.