Anthem

First I gotta say, I'm not really a big Anthem fan.  I HATE the headlights and the hood side intake vents. And those hood mirrors. But I do think the grill and hood shape would work well on a vocational truck.

But what I wanted to discuss here is, have you noticed there some seems to be a LOT of hype about them for their fuel efficiency? They seem to be getting more praise in the long haul world than the new Volvo's.

So what's everyone think? Are they really that good? Are they really more aerodynamic than all the others?

I just find it really odd that Volvo has killed Mack in the heavy haul and construction world, and yet are allowing Mack to shine on the highway front.

From what I hear its from 2 things. Extreme down speed of the gearing. they put in 2.xx rear ratios, run in direct, and drive at 60mph.  it is impressive however half of it is from drivers attention to MPG. they dont idle them either. a owner operator may see these kind of MPG but the avg company worker wont. I dont see why volvo cant do the same as the engine rears and trans is all the same

Volvo does offer the same powertrain, but the older Mack cab is more aerodynamic than Volvo's! The two drivers and trucks that are getting the most PR specced their Anthems with every efficiency trick in the book- full fairings including belly fairing, MP8 engine with turbo compounding, single drive axle, and long gearing that has them running at 1000-1200 RPM most of the time. Both trucks run sleeper cabs and they use sophisticated idea reduction technology so they only idie engines overnight under the worst conditions. Extreme measures and some compromises, but in an OTR operation the result is another $10,000 to $20,000 a year in profit!