Tesla Semi is coming

CaptainCrutch

Looks like that Tesla Semi is coming this year!

https://carbuzz.com/news/whats-going-on-with-the-tesla-semi-truck

Second half usually translates to fall, and honestly I'm a little excited. It looks like it'll be the first truck to compete in the average truck market. I do hope they allow for a bit more customization but I guess that'll come later. What do you all think of it?

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

It will be interesting to see real world results. The range that Tesla claims defy physics gor the most part. Daimler was seeing like a 5th of the range Tesla is claiming with their electric trucks. Until advancements in solid state batteries there has not been that many break thru moments in battery density. It would not be the first time Tesla lied if the range is bogus. I still don't see long haul trucking moving to EVs due to cost, range, recharge time etc. Tests have been done on the model X for exanple towing lightweight camper trailers and they lost considerable range. I want ro say in some heavy pulls up steep passes they reduced the Model X range by like 60%. EVs have many advantages but also many disadvantages in many areas depending on applications. 

Supposedly with this truck they’re getting 600 miles of range fully loaded, and they’ve been consistently pretty good on their range stats, most owners actually reporting getting better range than stated, they’ve done a lot of work and had breakthroughs that used to be considered impossible. I know it’s a different company but Elon’s SpaceX regularly lands rocket boosters on ships, something that was considered impossible by most of the world. Especially the way things have gone for Tesla lately, I’m sure they won’t lie about the stats on their vehicles. I haven’t heard any other things they’ve lied about, especially not once they’ve actually had prototypes.

Also, this is a company that has dedicated almost 2 decades of its existence to working on this tech, a little different than a company that has been around for around a century mostly dedicated to ICE vehicles. If I remember correctly they just came out with an EV with such horrible stats that only a few hundred have been purchased since the vehicle went on the market. Not exactly one to trust on statistics regarding the limits of EVs.

It will be interesting but I wouldn't be surprised if production gets pushed out as it already has before. As far lies. They have repeatedly said there cars would be self driving by now and they can barely self drive around a parking lot without having issues. They said the base model 3 would be 35K you still can't get a model 3 that cheap. They finally offered that early last year and then quickly canceled the bare bones model 3. I do know one thing is I should have bought Tesla stock. 20 years from now EVs will likely share the road with ICE trucks

Delaying a product is not the same as lying about a product. There’s also a reason when they list dates it’s estimated or stated as NET (no earlier than). If Tesla has done something that could be considered a lie someone would’ve sued them by now. And self driving features are coming soon, they’re just not quite finished yet, another delay but not a lie. Tesla isn’t reliable on dates by any means, when it comes to statistics about the physical properties, though, they’re incredibly reliable, and their vehicles usually exceed those stated statistics.

And you can still buy a $35,000 Model 3, you just have to go through a dealership to get it, instead of the website. Kinda shady but you can still get one, just as an off the menu item...

If this Tesla Semi ends up being as good as Tesla says it is, which I’m confident it will, then I have a feeling plenty of fleet trucks will be replaced by these, with Owner/Operator trucks still being ICE. That’s just the way I see it...

53 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

Hope it doesn’t smell like rotten eggs when it charges through a deep cycle..... libs & huggers will want to put an emissions system on it. 

Don't forget the tax generation potential for cleaning up the pungent atmosphere and associated legal costs to implement the legislation.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Isn't the Nicola semis due out soon too? I see Ryder has the factory authorized sales, service and warranty locations up already.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

There are a bunch of electric trucks coming. The Daimler Ecascadia is already delivered to some customers I have read. Here it is below. They also have the EM2 and a EV school bus in testing. And then Volva Cummins Peterbuilt Paccar Navistar and more are about to release their EV trucks. 

https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSite/en/instance/ko/Daimler-delivers-its-first-electric-Freightliner-eCascadia-to-US-customers.xhtml?oid=44194111

A Peterbuilt delivered to a customer for testing. 

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/01/20200112-werner.html

Daimler_Trucks_Commercial_Electric_Vehic