Dar

2005 mack aset low power.

Hi guys. I have a 2005 mack vision with an aset engine, been running it on the farm for a couple years. Always thought it was a bit low on power and boost was a bit high but it worked so I just kept driving. This fall however on my way home one night I could not get up to 60mph on the highway. Since then I can only get up to highway speed empty and even then the boost is continually 25-30 psi. Loaded I cannot get up to highway speed and boost rises as high as 33ish psi. There are a few codes present.

9-5.  Compressor discharge temp sensor

2-5. Front drive axle temp 

2-6. Rear drive axle temp

3-1. Exhaust temp sensor

All these codes were present before this new problem came up. Truck is fully serviced including new air filter and fuel filter. As soon as I get to town I will pick up some fittings so I can check the fuel pressure after the fuel lift pump. Also have a sensor coming for the turbo discharge temp code. If you have any suggestions I would be happy to hear. Thanks. 

I was reading a post from a few years ago of about an 03 model with what seems to be very similar problems. 

Screenshot_20200109-145847_Samsung Internet.jpg

You can download the v-mac III service manual here.

https://macktrucks.vg-emedia.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=6156

Just click the view file hyperlink and it will download, at the end of the manual you will see troubleshooting steps for your codes. As for lack of power i dont have much experience on what may be the issue but anything sensor related can be found in the manual.

Edited by ivanuke

1 hour ago, Dar said:

Hi guys. I have a 2005 mack vision with an aset engine, been running it on the farm for a couple years. Always thought it was a bit low on power and boost was a bit high but it worked so I just kept driving. This fall however on my way home one night I could not get up to 60mph on the highway. Since then I can only get up to highway speed empty and even then the boost is continually 25-30 psi. Loaded I cannot get up to highway speed and boost rises as high as 33ish psi. There are a few codes present.

9-5.  Compressor discharge temp sensor

2-5. Front drive axle temp 

2-6. Rear drive axle temp

3-1. Exhaust temp sensor

All these codes were present before this new problem came up. Truck is fully serviced including new air filter and fuel filter. As soon as I get to town I will pick up some fittings so I can check the fuel pressure after the fuel lift pump. Also have a sensor coming for the turbo discharge temp code. If you have any suggestions I would be happy to hear. Thanks. 

I was reading a post from a few years ago of about an 03 model with what seems to be very similar problems. 

Screenshot_20200109-145847_Samsung Internet.jpg

Compressor discharge temp indicates the hood to air cleaner boot is not sealing sucking in engine compartment heat!!!!!! Fix the boot And see what happens!

• Thanks 1

Currently the wires are ripped off right at the sensor. So the sensor will need to be replaced first. 

And when did you last change your fuel filters?

Clogged fuel filter still let's you hit good boost numbers, up until a continually decreasing rpm as the filter becomes more and more clogged.

Basically acts like a governor.

Edited by JoeH

37 minutes ago, Dar said:

Fuel filter is brand new. 

Check your tanks, I remember my CHN had similar issue, I changed fuel filter and didnt help. I drained my entire tank both sides and refilled with new diesel, that fixed the issue.

Would the variable geometry turbo be stuck in wrong position?

Thanks guys. My fan clutch locked up the other day which isnt nice when it is -25 Celsius. Should have that back together tomorrow and the turbo temp sensor should be in too. Will see what that does.