No more Mack manual transmissions

Mackpro

1 hour ago, fjh said:

Ain't nothing left to sell ! A Cab and hood would be a tough sell to anyone in my mind! Hollowed OUT!

Gutted is a more fitting term , like they did to White. Difference was that White had enough bones to build back up some what, Villy Voodenshoe Corp even ate the dogs bones.

Volvo gave MACK a sour reputation with poor choices for Vocational units, limited engine sizes , reliability issues in the MP series injectors and poor warranty support. Go to your local Truck Group Dealer and the sales reps push PAACAR or Volvo and discourage any interest in a Mack thats not"off the shelf" .  One black mark voids all of the pluses.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Adapt the John Deere 13.5 liter engine and paint it Gold.  I just calculated the hours of our oldest 13.5. It would have the equivalent of 1,370,000 highway miles on the original. They can top over 600HP. It burns a gallon every every 300 hours, but at 34,000 hours that ain’t too shabby.

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Maxidyne said:

Great engine, but can it pass EPA highway emissions standards?

Off Road has caught up since since OTR lingered in final 4. So DEF and SCR equipped. 

Had a rookie operator fill the 13.5 engine crankcase with diesel fuel and hammer on it for 40 minutes before his trainer figured out what he had done via conversation. It pitted (starved) one overhead cam lobe at the end of the dinner table. Sent a pic to reman center. Told them the hours and what I wanted to do. They said “Go for it, engine’s old enough to be considered spent for reman, won’t hurt anything as far as future core damage”. I put a new roller arm on and ran it. That was 5K hours ago. Tough 🍪 cookie. 

Not much aluminum on the motor. Not built with payload savings in mind like the Mack E platform was. Cast iron intake, cast bell, built for counterweight at rear of machines. 

Could consider this the new maxidyne gold tone. Great to see they got rid of the compounding turbo, damn things kept breaking all the exhaust studs like the Mack AC use to. Too much VGT turbo weight. They even dumped the VGT and installed a waste gate. Different block than 13.5 base engine. Oil pan isn't going to work.

Check out the EGR flow from right to the left side single EGR meter valve. Keeping in mind the water pump is lower right side driven by the small belt. The flow through housing makes you scratch your head. First it looks like a EGR charger system, its not, but maybe a second cooling stage.  

3 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

I'm guessing the compound is added for emissions compliance differences between stationary generators and construction/Ag. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

I'm guessing the compound is added for emissions compliance differences between stationary generators and construction/Ag.

https://www.diesel-international.com/news/john-deere-13-6l/

https://www.oemoffhighway.com/engines/engines/product/20854903/john-deere-power-systems-john-deere-power-systems-136-l-engine

Photo 2.jpg

On 12/26/2019 at 1:38 PM, Mack Technician said:

Adapt the John Deere 13.5 liter engine and paint it Gold.  I just calculated the hours of our oldest 13.5. It would have the equivalent of 1,370,000 highway miles on the original. They can top over 600HP. It burns a gallon every every 300 hours, but at 34,000 hours that ain’t too shabby.

sorry but  Deere tier 4 motors are absolute junk 8r 9r combines and pickers are the most expensive crap shoot you will ever sit in.  will we thrash to day or does it run 5min and shut down for no reason

7 hours ago, bts-4120 said:

sorry but  Deere tier 4 motors are absolute junk 8r 9r combines and pickers are the most expensive crap shoot you will ever sit in.  will we thrash to day or does it run 5min and shut down for no reason

We’re pretty happy with ours. We have the JD Service Advisor software and the turn arounds have been fast. 

15 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

The more I think about this, i.e. Volvo's termination of Mack-designed Maxitorque transmissions, the more disgusted I feel.

Note the webpage while you still can.......obviously it isn't long for this world.

https://www.macktrucks.com/powertrain-and-suspensions/transmissions/maxitorque-es/

HHmm, Available up to 2100ft/lb....

Not here It isn't.... Capped at 1800ft/lb.

which limits it to the 435hp Granite (Or at least that's according to the Mack Australia website) 18 months (or so) ago I got a quote an a New Granite Dealer pointblank refused to quote on e with a mack 'Box..

Death By a Thousand Cuts.........

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

In out fleet of 25 trucks , all are 2013 or newer CXU’s or Anthems and all have T-310 trans and Mack rears . To be honest, every one of our Mack transmissions have been back to the dealership ( except the newest ones ) al least once and most twice. All having synchronizer problems. 25% of the problem is driver abuse/ improper range shifting. The other 75%  are loose range shift fork set screws or loose rear yoke bolts . Years ago Mack used safety wire on the fork set screws , if they started doing that again it would help out a lot . And if they would use red  Loctite or redesign the yoke bolt it would save a lot of down time.  The M-Drive automatic would work great in our live haul trucks. Our feed trucks need multiple PTO pumps and massive plumbing to the trailer. We have looked into the M-Drive and I just don’t think the room is there to rig up all our crap. Sadly we have no say in ordering our trucks . Our corporate sends us what they think we need. 

1 hour ago, Mackpro said:

In out fleet of 25 trucks , all are 2013 or newer CXU’s or Anthems and all have T-310 trans and Mack rears . To be honest, every one of our Mack transmissions have been back to the dealership ( except the newest ones ) al least once and most twice. All having synchronizer problems. 25% of the problem is driver abuse/ improper range shifting. The other 75%  are loose range shift fork set screws or loose rear yoke bolts . Years ago Mack used safety wire on the fork set screws , if they started doing that again it would help out a lot . And if they would use red  Loctite or redesign the yoke bolt it would save a lot of down time.  The M-Drive automatic would work great in our live haul trucks. Our feed trucks need multiple PTO pumps and massive plumbing to the trailer. We have looked into the M-Drive and I just don’t think the room is there to rig up all our crap. Sadly we have no say in ordering our trucks . Our corporate sends us what they think we need. 

Agree ! When ever we take these apart we use red loctite to reassemble them on any bolts susceptible to coming loose  period! However its only part of the  issue resolved! And they did redesign the output yoke and made it worse! installed  behind  any High torque  engine like the ISX the tail shaft had tappered roller bearings and a crush sleave! That turned out to be another  Big mistake! and now Mack pro  you don't got to worry they won't be able to order any manual tranys ! Probably A good thing!

Edited by fjh

12 hours ago, Mackpro said:

You would think Volvo's all-knowing engineers in Sweden could remedy loose range shift fork set screws or loose rear yoke bolts.

The M-Drive AMT of course is simply a rebadged Volvo single countershaft I-Shift AMT (ZF's superior AMTs feature a twin countershaft design)

Mack engineers were developing an AMT version of the "world's best" Maxitorque triple countershaft transmissions, but Volvo canned it.

• Like 1
  • Like 1