Canadian Bulldog Mag Pics

That Superliner in the last pic is the thing dreams are made of.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Well you just need to have the operator wash it every day after work. I pay my people to start each day with a clean truck or machine. Shows that you have pride in you work . . . sloppy rig =sloppy work in many cases. Got a few jobs because of clean maintained equipment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

8 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

Well you just need to have the operator wash it every day after work. I pay my people to start each day with a clean truck or machine. Shows that you have pride in you work . . . sloppy rig =sloppy work in many cases. Got a few jobs because of clean maintained equipment.

Yes and another benefit is I go through the inspection scales and they don't even give you a second look when it looks like you are maintaining your stuff.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I don't know if you can say the CL350ST was built heavier than the Hayes or Pacific's but they were all pretty similar. I know they had some issues with the doors and cabs cracking and may were retrofitted with Hayes or pacific doors.

It was also very interesting that the Challenger truck that came along later, designed by John Casanave, was offered with the Mack E9 V8 engine. He said they had very good power to weight to fuel economy ratio compared to the V12 Detroit's that were most common in those big trucks. I scanned a brochure for them on this forum somewhere a while back.

The  cl 350 was Definitely built  heavier than pacific or Hayes!  I believe!   I heard back in the day,  one of the Hayes  engineers  was recruited to design the cl 350  after Hayes was bought up by Mack! Some where in between,  The F model Cab was used for several years on the Hayes Cabover units as well !

On the CL350  We took out v12s  transplanted e9 v8's in  a few of these units  blew the doors off the jimmys for fuel consumption Apparently paid for the swap with in 2 years or so in fuel savings and power! Draw back was the engine brake! Allison retarder worked very well on these behind the v12  for the billy goat trails they were operated on! Unfortunately  Because of the torque output on the V8 we weren't able to install the Allison at the time !I believe Allison corrected this later on thou! 

Edited by fjh

I asked one of my friends that lives and used to work around these beasts. His reply:

Do not know if they were that good. There would of been tons around. The cabs were shit  as well they put Pacific cabs on after they were driven for a few years. the Mack shacks shook apart

There is lot of info and pics about them here.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/mack-cl350-st-logging-truck.20056/

Me too. Always loved the RD800.  Where I am in Ontario we don't have the fat trucks like the CL350ST (even though they were built here) but we had RD800's and CL700 loggers with E9 V8's and planetary rears hauling 200,000 pounds.

There are still one RD800 and one CL sitting in a mill just north of me, but all the rest have pretty much been replaced by Stars now.

• 1 year later...

I am doing a story of 100 years of Mack Trucks in Canada for our special edition Ontario Antique Trucks magazine, would be interested in any stories or photos of Canadian built Mack trucks.  I am also trying to find an advertisement for the Mack dealership in Kitchener or London Ontario if any one happens to know of any in an old issue of Bulldog or Truck News etc.  Appreciate any help I can get. You can contact me at ontarioantiquetrucks@gmail.com

On 12/22/2019 at 9:48 AM, Bullheaded said:

I asked one of my friends that lives and used to work around these beasts. His reply:

Do not know if they were that good. There would of been tons around. The cabs were shit  as well they put Pacific cabs on after they were driven for a few years. the Mack shacks shook apart

There is lot of info and pics about them here.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/mack-cl350-st-logging-truck.20056/

Dunno how I missed this but I have some reading to do

Paul 

5 hours ago, Ontario Antique Trucks said:

I am doing a story of 100 years of Mack Trucks in Canada for our special edition Ontario Antique Trucks magazine, would be interested in any stories or photos of Canadian built Mack trucks.  I am also trying to find an advertisement for the Mack dealership in Kitchener or London Ontario if any one happens to know of any in an old issue of Bulldog or Truck News etc.  Appreciate any help I can get. You can contact me at ontarioantiquetrucks@gmail.com

Should make this a new post. Probably get more attention

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

louisgbone@cox.net  1977 I was a truck salesman the CL350ST in the picture looks identical to the one I tried to sell TED ROUTH in 1977 Mack Financial

would not finance it, Wardley would not  finance it either so the sale was dead. My opinion what killed the CL350ST is they were about $55,000 dollars

more than a Pacific or a Kenworth dealer cost was $148,000 Canadian dollars You could buy a Pacific or Kenworth for $95,000 all of CL350ST were

sold directly buy Mack Trucks I wonder how much they sold them for.