Chinese surprise at Newcastle

kscarbel2

Owner-Driver  /  December 2, 2019

Owner-driver Glen ‘Yogi’ Kendall is well known in road transport circles, due to his support of trucking events and his appearances on the TV show Outback Truckers.

However, when Yogi arrived at Sandgate Fruit Markets for the Newcastle Hunter Transport Awareness Day convoy, his Kenworth was nowhere to be seen. Instead, he was behind the wheel of a 540hp Sitrak prime mover, manufactured by the China National Heavy Duty Truck Group, or Sinotruk.

The Sitrak was brought into Australia in September by Wei Liu, general manager of tyre wholesaler Spider GT.

"There’s only two of them in Australia at this point in time, and he wanted some genuine industry feedback on what’s good, bad and ugly about the truck," Yogi explains. "And I’m not backwards in coming forwards."

So Yogi flew across from Perth to Melbourne, picked up the truck and drove it up to Newcastle for test run.

"I’ve put a couple of thousand ks on the clock. When I picked it up it had 114 ks on the clock," he laughs.

"It is a complete and utter change from the ’95 Kenworth I’ve got."

What immediately impressed Yogi was the spacious cab.

"There’s two bunks in there, a phenomenal amount of room. That’s what I actually did like about it.

"The vision is unbelievable, but again I’ve come out of a little Ned Kelly window to a big cab-over.

"The mirrors are fantastic, but they make a big blind spot ’cause they’re so close."

Yogi says, although the Sitrak drove well, it was difficult to evaluate it driving bobtail.

"I did feel a little bit seasick, so it would be nice to put a trailer behind it, put a bit of weight on it and just see what it actually will do."

Yogi says the Sitrak boasts MAN technology, and complies with Australian regulations. He adds that Sinotruk has been making trucks since 1935 and is the third largest truck manufacturer in China.

However, entering the already competitive Australian truck market is a challenge.

"He’s a good bloke to deal with," Yogi says of the Spider GT boss. "The biggest thing he’ll come up against, and we’ve already spoken about it, is how are you going to back it up?

"At the moment he’s running Longmarch Tyres and Tianli Ag Tyres around Australia, so he’s got his dealer infrastructure, like parts and all that are not a problem.

"So it’s all there. Everything’s laid out in front him."

Yogi predicts the Sitrak will be around $200,000 on the road, with possibly a three-year, 600,000km warranty.

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 3.jpg

Photo 4.jpg

Chinese trucks are in the U.S. now, to a certain extent.  I am starting to see a few Greenkraft LCF's, basically a JAC with a GM/PSI CNG engine transplant.  The little class 5 is a hoot, sort of a previous generation Isuzu clone, but with air brakes!  Saw one of their larger class 6 models last week.

• Like 1

SITRAK is the unsuccessful joint venture between MAN and state-owned China National Heavy Truck Corporation (CNHTC). For the Chinese side, the JV was necessary to they could get MAN technology for their self-branded trucks. CNHTC ranks number 2 in heavy truck sales.

The truck above is a revised MAN "TGA" with a China market D26 engine (simplified architecture). Really, a proven truck and all-round solid performer.

• Like 1

Like I said to a friend of mine that worships all these new trucks and hybrids and stuff......I don't care how broke I am and how much fuel I'd have to buy, I just can't can't get excited over a box on wheels.

I chose trucking because I like trucks that I grew up with. That means, hoods, stacks and external breathers.

2 minutes ago, david wild said:

Yeah but you guys have never been around a MAN truck or a Renault Magnum for road work, personally take a MAN for Heavy Haul any day, Love the standard trans with a Torque converter ?

ZF's 12-speed AS Tronic TraXon automated manual transmission (AMT), which MAN calls "TipMatic".

https://www.truck.man.eu/de/en/trucks/truck-assistance-systems/man-tipmatic.html

https://www.zf.com/products/en/trucks/traxon/traxon.html