Any old IH truck guys here’s?

storkmack

11 minutes ago, storkmack said:

Nice 4070.   What were the specs on it?

It had a 430 Detroit (2 Stroke) with a Fuller 13 speed I can’t remember what rear ends it had and it also had a Reyco suspension. This Detroit was a Boat anchor  I wish it had a 318 older style I never had trouble running a 318 but this 430 was a piece of junk. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The cab has some rust on the back at the bottom and the drip rail is pretty tuff also.  Having driven Mack’s most of my life, driving a Cummins is a bit different.  My boys and I have had a blast getting it back up and running.  

• Like 1

Story time:

There was a 4300 for sale on AuctionTime in TN, close to me. Truck was very clean inside & out. Can’t remember the farm name still on the door but was at a used equipment lot. Had 8V-71, I’m an old DD mechanic & I needed like I need another hole in my head, but I called place to go inspect truck before auction & they had sold it! 
Made my blood pressure rise & I told them & Auction Time what I thought. AuctionTime deal messed me up on another truck too. Sorry bout rant but couldn’t help it. 
Those farm all’s are nice trucks!

6 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Story time:

There was a 4300 for sale on AuctionTime in TN, close to me. Truck was very clean inside & out. Can’t remember the farm name still on the door but was at a used equipment lot. Had 8V-71, I’m an old DD mechanic & I needed like I need another hole in my head, but I called place to go inspect truck before auction & they had sold it! 
Made my blood pressure rise & I told them & Auction Time what I thought. AuctionTime deal messed me up on another truck too. Sorry bout rant but couldn’t help it. 
Those farm all’s are nice trucks!

I saw that truck on there.  It was a sweet one.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

i would love to be able to find a 49 L-190 like i learned to drive on. 

i drove that truck every day for 6 years. it was my car when i was not making deliveries or pickups for the farm. when i got done work i would drop the 38 foot trailer and off i would go. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

no. i lost everything around 30 years ago when the old house was in a flood. 

but it looked just like this pic i got off the internet:

1227868638_49international.jpg.3eac46d6a372fadb2c18711fbfbff55f.jpgfaded fire engine red with grey rims.

had the dual fuel tanks like this one too. it had the big inline red diamond 406 gas engine and a quad box trans. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back in the 80s I worked on a ranch in Montana.  They had a 50s era flatbed tilt bed IH.  It had a 6 speed transmission with a Brownie 3 speed splitter.  You had to double clutch or it would lock up.  Driving it on a foot hills ranch you were clutching all the time.  Some days my leg would cramp up. We locked it up one day 20 miles from nowhere. The only tools we had were a 1/2 inch wrench and a mini vice grips.  Danged if we didn't get it fixed!  It burned up one day.  I was 5 miles from ranch headquarters and had just went through a gate while hauling hay.  Came back from closing the gate and flames were shooting from under the hood.  Had a gull wing hood.  I opened the hood.  I had no extinguisher or water.  I had one of those wide top water coolers.  I scraped dirt from a cut bank and dumped it on the flames to put it out.  Turns out that the boss had the goofy idea that the hood would contact the battery terminals.  He wired a piece of inner tube over the battery but did a shitty job.  The inner tube slipped off and ended up on the exhaust manifold and started on fire as soon as the truck sat at idle.

• Like 2