Any old IH truck guys here’s?

storkmack

On 12/24/2019 at 7:59 AM, High Binder said:

Very nice Transtar.

Thanks.  My father drove several when I was young and we would often ride along.  This came with a 318 Detroit but now has a 400 big cam and a double overdrive 13 speed.  It supposedly would go over 110mph.  Who would want to do that with no front brakes?    Mike. 

Edited by yarnall
Misspelled

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BillyT said:

Is that a 9670? Drove a few of them for Waite Inc (hurry up and wait!) Hauling US Mail passed three of our tractors broken down on the Pa turnpike from Pittsburgh to Philly! This was 1976 they still had a gas burner in the fleet!

Mine is a 1972 4070A.  The 4070B with square headlight surrounds came out in ‘73.  The 9670 did come out until ‘81.  They are much more square.  Mike. 

4 hours ago, yarnall said:

Mine is a 1972 4070A.  The 4070B with square headlight surrounds came out in ‘73.  The 9670 did come out until ‘81.  They are much more square.  Mike. 

I thought the B was introduced in 1974. We had 8 4070's leased to International Parts Group in '73 and in late '74 add 3 more which were 4070B's. This is a pic of the 1st eight. units 280-287. 288-290 were the B's added to the fleet the following year.

scan0002.jpg

• Like 2

I used to work with a guy whom had a 73 and it was a 4070B according to serial number when I ordered parts?

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

5 minutes ago, High Binder said:

Has anyone rebuilt the AC compressor on a 4070B?  Is it hard to do?

What compressor; York, Frigidaire, Sanden? None are difficult but really not cost effective to do. I'd replace with a modern seven cylinder Sanden unit as they are very reliable if installed and oil charged correctly.

Edited by Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Most likely was a York as they were the most common through the 1970's. Easy compressor to rebuild but the quality of the rebuild parts can be questionable. Aftermarket replacements are "spotty" in longevity and a Sanden compressor is an easy adaption with conversion brackets readily available. The Sanden takes less power to run also. 

19 minutes ago, Rob said:

I like the looks of this International. For sale on Boston Craigslist:

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/hvo/d/accord-1996-international-tractor/7049536793.html

That's my landlord's truck. I don't think it's seen much use lately as they shut down the moving business and concentrated on real estate.

Old school 100 year old moving company. Been renting my shop from them for 14 years, decent people to deal with. They were pretty much 100% IH fleet.

1 more year and that truck could get antique plates on it.

34 minutes ago, storkmack said:

For the money, if it has an M11 Cummins, that would be a damn cheap work horse.   

Had a few of those engines in generator duty on smaller air control towers and they did well. Don't know anything about them in on road use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Macks are my thing, but i have a few IHC's.  1917 K, 1924 modell 33 and 63, about 1927/8 model 93, 1965 loadmaster  (i believe) with a detroit v6 and allison automatic (former us govt truck).  Also remnants of a transtar cabover (cummings and tranny-runs).  I sold several KB8 and 9's a couple years ago.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That 4300 look like the same model I had to keep running for my  boss 350 cummins 13 sp. back in the dark ages the truck would of been a good one but it was run to death and put away wet by the time I got to it. If I remember they had a good size cab.