1974 Brockway N361

j hancock

• 2 weeks later...

I remember an outfit called Hathaway they were running rigs that were beat to hell setup like those back in 1980 they were running all the way to Kearney NJ from Boston And at that time they didn’t look like they could make it to the mass turnpike ha ha Ha so I know what do you mean funny thing when I was a kid they were everywhere and now it’s hard to find one anywhere...bob

if i remember correctly Bob, the one i ran was a Hathaway reject. 

the boss bought it for scrap price after the engine blew, and put a junkyard 350 cummins in it for use pulling the lowboy trailer. 

it was not a bad truck, but with the light weight rears it was not very good for the heavy weights i was hauling. kept on snapping the through shaft cause my average weight was around 150k lbs.. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

• 2 weeks later...

how about both??😂

besides the fact the rig alone was 72k lbs. then add a 90k excavator on top of it. or the D8K with the 13'11" blade, i was always pushing the limits of my permits. the D8 with full fuel tank and blade on had me at around 185k lbs. after the Brockway finally died, i started using a 79 DM 800 with a  V8 and 15 speed for the low boy after one of the hinge pins broke and the body went over tweaking the frame. 

Thanks for straightening that out I had lots of fun back in the 60s riding in those big Brockways Quite a thrill for a young kid my uncle sold the business in 1970 wound up going to work for beacon fast freight said he couldn’t take the headaches anymore a lot easier to work for somebody...bob

• Like 1

Forgot to mention My uncle told me that photo was taken right after the guy got done littering it that was 40 years ago he told me that I am surprised i still remember that funny thing about guys memories we seem to remember all the stuff we want to remember and when my wife asked me what we did last Saturday can’t remember a thing ha ha Ha...bob

• 2 weeks later...

First "big truck" I ever rode in was a361 Brockway day cab with a load of steel sheets going to Chicago From Homestead Works in Pittsburgh, My buddy was driving B P (Baltimore/Pittsburgh) owned the rig.I started driving the next year for an Allied Van lines contractor in a "crackerbox Jimmy" never realized how uncomfortable those old horses were til I drove a new Airride Freightliner!

14 hours ago, tjc transport said:

Gallo asphalt, or Cardell Chuck?

what was your dad's name ?

Cardell.  They had a decent fleet of short hood GMC Generals w J&J bodies at the time with a few Paystars and RD600s mixed in.  Ugly color scheme.... 2-tone grey.

My dad is Chuck Sr.  He left when they closed shop in the mid-nineties.  

They had a decent-size operation and had one of the 1st Wirtgen milling machines in the area until it hit an unmarked gas line.  Burned up on the spot and was a total loss.

I wish I had some pics of their fleet.  I'm pretty sure they ran all DM800s before the Jimmys.

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

i remember cardell very well. 

carmen jr, and the nestea boys. carmen and john. 

then there is rob nagy. 

and butch the driver. charles bell. 

i pulled many a load of asphalt out of the plants when i was driving for joe defino.