Mechanical E7 in 2019 (or should I quit being afraid of the 06+)

irishflyer97

1 hour ago, HeavyGunner said:

Go search gearheadgrrrl or teamstergrrrl in bmt. She has continually harassed people on here for using older trucks, pickups and anything bigger than her lawn tractor. Yes she has been much much quieter this past year or so but just wait. This latest reincarnation will get mouthy and obnoxious again, Barry will ban that username and she'll come back and do it again. Oh and did I mention if you don’t agree with her you’ll get called everything but human by her. Yes we have little to no patience for her but there’s lots of reasons why. Now back to the thread. 

I like to see what the other side is thinking.   Just laugh it off, she’s a hoot!

• Like 1

Hey, I welcome all opinions on here.  Each situation is different.  I guess I didn't realize there was an ongoing situation.  Maxidyne brought up some good points, some that might apply in my situation, but he doesn't know me personally, and the job I am taking on, so it's hard to cross over different applications.  But I never felt like I was being flamed or anything.  The amount of passion people have for the Mack brand is good to see, old and new models.    This will be my first Mack, but my eighth overall.  I am soaking up all the information given here without a jaundiced eye..:-)

Gee, what the heck did I step into? I'm just a retired old fart that likes to talk trucks. Owner Operators? Got the highest respect for them, tough making a living when you have to pay full price for everything while the fleets get huge discounts. And over the years, I've noticed the smartest OOs drive Macks!

6 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

Gee, what the heck did I step into? I'm just a retired old fart that likes to talk trucks. Owner Operators? Got the highest respect for them, tough making a living when you have to pay full price for everything while the fleets get huge discounts. And over the years, I've noticed the smartest OOs drive Macks!

I shake my head a lot of o/o’s.   Poorly spec’ed equipment for the job at hand and they wonder why they go broke.   The smart did drive Mack’s, when Mack actually built trucks.  

My folks added trucks to their business for a few years.  Paid the drivers 1/3 of what the truck grossed and driver after driver would work a year or so then quit and go buy their own truck to make the big bucks only to go broke because of the reasons you listed above. They couldn’t see that my folks had a 30+ year profitable company that they added trucks to which made it a lot easier to absorb maintenance and repair costs. 

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

I had been an o/o from 1995-2014.  My Dad passed away in 2013, who had become my business partner.  I took a break from it, and did various jobs from oil field work to computer repair.  My biggest expense hands down (other than fuel) was workman's comp insurance I had to pay for my drivers.  It always was more than maintenance.  (Nebraska sucks for the pool rate).  I have always stuck with pre-emission equipment, spec'd for the job at hand.  In this case, I need something for 15% off road, and Mack fits that bill. I will be running three weeks on, one week off.  I will be doing any maintenance work in that week. 

On 11/13/2019 at 6:50 PM, irishflyer97 said:

I am finding that using a generic search such as "1999 mack etech 400 site:bigmacktrucks.com"  works better than the included search engine, if that helps any.

That's what I do, I search google, then tack on bigmacktrucks.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.