Back up light/alarm issues on 1981 R 600

Hi Gents !  I got a 1981 single axle R 600 dump with back up light/alarm issues that is causing me to pull my hair out (the little I got left 😲) trying to get them to work. They worked fine since I've owned the truck the past several years. About a month ago they stopped working. I found that the ground wire at the rear of the truck had come loose. I reconnected it and the worked again. The next time I took the truck out they stopped working again. I rechecked the ground wire and it was fine. I pulled the fuse in the glove compartment and tested it with a continuity tester and it was good. I then checked the back up switch on top of the transmission. The terminals were all corroded so I replaced it with a brand new one. I tried the lights /alarm again and they worked for a second and then stopped. I checked all the wiring at the rear of the truck and at the 3rd terminal under the driver's side of the hood and all connections are firm and good. Does anyone have any ideas or am I missing another fuse or something else ? Any help would be appreciated because I can't get it inspected without the lights and alarm working. Thanks !

Ahh.... electrical gremlins.  Gotta luv 'em.

Using a test light or meter, do you have 12 volt power going into the backup switch?  Power out of the switch?  Unfortunately, have seen new switches be defective.

Check the continuity of the wire to the back of the truck.  Sometimes the wire will corrode internally and can't carry amps but it shows volts are getting through. 

Use a spare battery and a jumper wire and see if the alarm/lights work using a direct power source.

Maybe someone added another fuse?  Can't answer that one for you.

Rest assured it will probably be something simple but in a bitch location on the truck

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.