E7 E-tech/ ASET Automatic Transmission

ivanuke

7 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

The one you can’t see well looks like a rawhide without the sleeper.....

Its a 2005 CHN613 not sure if there is a trim, its 100% mack and I love it. Its my favorite. But my drivers prefer the 2001 with the 10sp eaton fuller and airbags, Its a lot smoother for sure.

I had a 1999 CH613 as well, but I sold it, I want to stay in the 2001-07 range, I want to maintain the ease of maintenance and repair in terms of knowledge. You know one you know them all in the fleet kind of mentality.  It makes it easier for me to train someone to maintain the vehicles with not much experience.

• Like 1

That’s a solid, logical approach. We’re finally reaching the point in our fleet where purchasing has become less “flighty” and it’s great! Operators were machine jumping and damaging stuff because of muscle memory change. It took a decade for management to really get it

One day last year an operator filled his engine with diesel fuel and ran it for a half hour. You still can’t save them all, but coincidentally the Deere loader had two engine oil fills next to each other. The one that went to the oil pan bottom cancelled 4” from top of fuel tank. As you suggested, not having to cross train drivers to a bunch of OEMs has its advantages. 

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Like 1

I think I found a good truck at a RB auction, could someone help me identify what type of A/T this one might have? Also what do you guys think this truck is worth based on photos? I would not have time to go inspect. Given that information what would you guys bid?

https://www.rbauction.com/2004-mack-ch613-day-cab-truck-tractor-ta?invId=11516000&id=ci&auction=minneapolis-mn-2019294&utm_source=www.ironplanet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=syndication

I realized photos might not appear on mobile devices. So i've attached two. Thanks.

3ccf368a-9761-410b-a664-3fccdaddc525.jpg

542eb5c3-8a93-4eba-998c-bf7e888d6677.jpg

Edited by ivanuke
added photo

9 hours ago, ivanuke said:

I don't have any triaxles, but I believe the rate is about 65hr, the 50-55 rate is for tandem. Most of the work we do is very light, and usually hauling dirt for new pad constructions for homes or freeway construction. Its not as lucrative, but the work is plentiful. Diesel is 2.40gal and I do 100% of my own maintenance and repairs. It helps.

Diesel is about 3.10 up here, driver hourly rates are $20-25 or so I believe.

What's important is that you're making money; just be careful on 30/60/90/120 day pay, it's all well and good til the economy tanks and you're left hanging for 3 months worth of unpaid invoices.

Sounds like your an effective entrepreneur! Keep it up!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JoeH said:

Diesel is about 3.10 up here, driver hourly rates are $20-25 or so I believe.

What's important is that you're making money; just be careful on 30/60/90/120 day pay, it's all well and good til the economy tanks and you're left hanging for 3 months worth of unpaid invoices.

Sounds like your an effective entrepreneur! Keep it up!

Thank you, were fortunate enough that our customers usually pay within 7 days. Our drivers make 35% of whatever the truck makes for the day and have a guaranteed minimum every week. It has worked out so far.

10 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

$18,000 because it’s ASET AC and it’s a Northwoods Salty Dog. Like to see the frame up close. Much as your putting on it you want good metal retention.

Is the ASET AC a not desirable? I have the AC427 in my 2005, aside from an occasional diagnostic code for the EUP that tends to come and go when it wants, Its been working great for over 3 years. 400k miles. Thanks for the heads up on the frame, I didnt consider that. We don't have those issues down here so it slipped my mind. I will bid 13k and try my luck, after taxes, fees, and delivery, it would be closer to 18k.

On another note, if I win the truck and the transmission ends up not working out, could I disconnect everything and install an eaton fuller 10 speed? Or would the bell housing, sensors, etc need to be changed as well.

Edited by ivanuke

On 9/18/2019 at 4:43 PM, Mack Technician said:

If you bid $13K you won’t beat Manders Diesel. They’ll be bidding on that unit. 

The auction ended at 8K. I did not bid because I would have had to pay too much in transport. On another hand I will bid on some in Texas in October. But if they got that truck, what a deal!

Question about transporation, is it legal to haul a tractor trailer like the CH613 on a gooseneck to a Ram 3500 as long as the weight limits are met and the truck does not exceed the trailer. 

1 hour ago, ivanuke said:

The auction ended at 8K. I did not bid because I would have had to pay too much in transport. On another hand I will bid on some in Texas in October. But if they got that truck, what a deal!

Question about transporation, is it legal to haul a tractor trailer like the CH613 on a gooseneck to a Ram 3500 as long as the weight limits are met and the truck does not exceed the trailer. 

Why wouldn’t you just drove it home? Take a little longer & little extra fuel but cheaper than hauling 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 1965 said:

Why wouldn’t you just drove it home? Take a little longer & little extra fuel but cheaper than hauling 

I don't know if these trucks are registered, or if they are safe to drive. You're allowed to inspect the vehicles the morning of the auction, I would like to be prepared if it can't be driven, but I will if its possible.

If you register it it's registered. If you don't register it then it's not registered.

You need insurance and registration to drive it home. If you're going across state lines you'll need it registered for INTERstate, not INTRAstate.

In PA you have 15 days from date of purchase/registration to get it inspected, or at least that's with cars/motorcycles. I expect with commercial vehicles you're probably not allowed to "haul" loads with the truck until it's inspected.

With the Ram 3500 I don't see why you couldnt haul the 613 home with it assuming you are under the legal 13'6" height and you're not exceeding the Ram's gvwr, axle ratings, etc.  I would back the truck onto your trailer to ensure you don't overload the tongue weight with the engine/trans.

• 2 weeks later...

The 04  Allison dump i have was a mixer in its first life, good specs for a dump......double frame, 502 ratio, 52 camelback on bronze, 23k(?22 maybe) front, dual steering, heavy double frame and low miles (60k i think when i bought it), makes a hell for stout tandem for sure (but i need more than 300 HP)

• 4 months later...