Oil pressure problem

I changed the oil in my 06 granite and I used the recommended 15w40 oil and mack filters. Before the oil change on startup the oil pressure was never above 35psi but now its almost 70 when it's cold. After it warms up it does drop to about 20-25psi but the initial pressure has me very worried about blowing a head gasket or something else. The motor is a 460 by the way and my dealer said it should only be about 30-40psi when cold. I did use a Baldwin filter for the centrifugal filter which I'm going to change out for a mack as well. What else am I missing? 

Oil pressure will be high when engines cold. Oil will not flow the complete volume of pump's displacement out the bearings and cooler nozzles when cold, so it hits max pressure. The oil pump is designed to "overflow" excess oil volume when engine is cold. The overflow pressure is preset in the oil pumps relief valve. If you would get higher and higher top pressures then change the oil pump under suspicion of a shuttle that isn't moving freely. Otherwise, don't worry about it. If I was up over 60 I wouldn't be worried, if I was hitting 80.... maybe time to change the pump.....cheap easy repair. For the most part good cold start oil pressure is a blessing till it splits the top crimp seam of an oil filter, I've seen that happen on a different brand-X OEM.

Edited by Mack Technician

On 8/23/2019 at 9:07 AM, OldRedMack said:

That's where mine is at on start up.  2007 AI engine.  Been that way since I bought it.  No problems in 5 years. 

Where does it run when its warm though? Mine will be around 25 at idle and then around 60 or more when I'm on the throttle