Hey Freightrain

41chevy

Ok, let me know what you end up doing.  I may take that Friday off to do the local KW lunch open house?  I'll decide when it gets here.

Found out last night, Comp Cams ground my profile on a 460 core!!   What???  Ya, shop got it and looked at it and knew immediately something was wrong.  An FE camshaft has a long taper on the shaft going up to the rear cam bearing.  They called and found out someone basically screwed up and got the wrong core blank.  UGH.   They stepped up and said I should have the right one by Friday?  We'll see.  Crank is installed.  Waiting to check valve clearance on piston reliefs.  Heads should be assembled today.  Getting closer.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Cranks in, cam degreed.  They should get rods in after moving valve reliefs just a touch.  Have to determine what will this weekend?  May bolt on Dyno?

Paul, keep me in loop on your plans.  I may be busy Saturday morning?  I may take 1/2 day Friday to work on motor?

Larry

3 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Cranks in, cam degreed.  They should get rods in after moving valve reliefs just a touch.  Have to determine what will this weekend?  May bolt on Dyno?

Paul, keep me in loop on your plans.  I may be busy Saturday morning?  I may take 1/2 day Friday to work on motor?

Went and paid a glass shop to install all 8 new pieces of glass this weekend shaved 138 pound off with new acrylic glass.

They haven't decided on letting non NHRA certified Nostalgia cars run over 100mph. Should know tomorrow afternoon.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 8/19/2019 at 3:49 PM, 41chevy said:

Went and paid a glass shop to install all 8 new pieces of glass this weekend shaved 138 pound off with new acrylic glass.

They haven't decided on letting non NHRA certified Nostalgia cars run over 100mph. Should know tomorrow afternoon.

Forgot to drop off timing cover last weekend.  Had to run parts to shop at 11 pm after going to demo derby at Randolph fair last night.  Getting closer.

Larry

On 8/21/2019 at 12:35 PM, Freightrain said:

Forgot to drop off timing cover last weekend.  Had to run parts to shop at 11 pm after going to demo derby at Randolph fair last night.  Getting closer.

The track and the event people decided that if  every car is not 100%  legal by  the current 2019 NHRA rules you will not be allowed to even drive down the track. Not going to haul 550 miles each way to sit in the display area. 25 cars from our East Coast Gassers and 9 from Southern Gassers are dropping out.

I will be at Drag Week Sept 8, 9 and 13 in Virginia.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

So you're not coming at all?  Bummer.  Maybe next time.  I'll be finishing up assembly of motor tomorrow afternoon, and sat morning.  Dyno next week, as they have a 327 on there presently.

I get the safety thing.  Too bad there are plenty of "illegal" cars making passes every week.

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2019 at 5:44 PM, Freightrain said:

So you're not coming at all?  Bummer.  Maybe next time.  I'll be finishing up assembly of motor tomorrow afternoon, and sat morning.  Dyno next week, as they have a 327 on there presently.

I get the safety thing.  Too bad there are plenty of "illegal" cars making passes every week.

I went with the Ram and slide in camper. Tried to PM you but no WiFi. Wasn't totally wasted I picked up at the swap meet a new 20 gallon fuel cell, a set of nice late 60's Halibrand 15 x 4  kidney bean wheels that weigh 6lbs 2 ounces each. a NOS Super Bell straight axle with Econoline spindles and a pair of Super Slide composite front leaf springs. weigh in a 14 lbs each. More weigh off the car about a 75 to 100 lbs savings.

No fast gassers were allowed to run over 110 mph. Was a really nice White 61 Ford Custom 500 called Thunderroad that was running D/gas a consistent 12:40 et like clock work. 406FE with dual quads.

Was trying to prep for Drag Week since it is starting in VA, going to Maryland and Atco in N.J average 175 to 225 miles a day. Put the 20 gal cell in to run E85 to try and do the drag week, Forget it. Starting on my Alcohol/Benzine mix and switching to the 20 gallon tank of E85 works well , car runs okay but mileage leaves alot to be desired. Best taking it as easy as possible was 58 almost 59 miles from dead full to sputtering. The best run would be  4 to 5 tanks of E 85 with minimal idle time. 92 miles from Fork Union to Dinwiddie. I'll trailer it don't need an adventure that much.

May trailer it to  North Dinwiddie, VA for Sunday and Monday (9/8 and 9/9) of next week and than back on  the 13th for the awards.

You up and running? Dyno it?

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE

I spent that weekend assembling the motor.  I got to dyno it last weekend(thurs/fri/sat), brought it home Sat afternoon and got it put in the car Sunday afternoon.  I got it running Monday afternoon, washed up and put in the trailer.  I've been busy, but sure would have like to meet up.  Maybe next time?

I'm getting off to my first race Saturday at Thompson.  They are having their annual Gasser event and we're running our race with it.  It's a good match up.  I won last year, I hope to take a shot at it again.  That $1000 payout sure could come in handy about now! 

Larry

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

I spent that weekend assembling the motor.  I got to dyno it last weekend(thurs/fri/sat), brought it home Sat afternoon and got it put in the car Sunday afternoon.  

Specs? Pics? If it’s not too personal what kind of numbers did it run on the dyno?  

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

13 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Nothing too "top secret squirrel stuff" here.

I had the heads CNC'd a touch to pick up some airflow.   It is now 496 ci due to a bigger bore.  I kept the comp ratio at 12.5/1.  Camshaft was actually cut back a touch on duration to keep the peak RPM down to a more sane level(6500).  It's a "bracket car" and I don't want to beat it up by turning it 7500 rpm!

IMG-20190824-112255824.jpg

It didn't make a bunch more Peak HP compared to the old 462ci version.  It did pick up a bunch of mid range power.   It's still around 625 hp at 6500 rpm.  It picked up about 25 HP at 5000 rpm and since that is what I typically launch at, it leaves harder now.

I was out last weekend for my first race back.   The car went 10.69 @ 124 mph.   It was running 10.95 @ 122 mph last year at this race.  It picked up about .2 in the first 1/8 mile, and carries it out through the 1/4 mile.  It also picked up .1 in the 60 ft compared to my best at that track.  The car usually leaves around 1.48x something in the 60 ft.  Slightly less at greasy track, but have gone 1.41 at this track(has good bite).   Saturday was 1.402/1.403 and was mandating I tighten up the wheelie bars.  It was really standing up(and coming down hard).   With some adjustment to the bars, I was able to keep it under better control.

I had a good outing.  I made it to the semi finals.  My competition whacked me with a .009 light and I just couldn't beat that even with a .040 light.

Beautiful-just something about a V-8 with the distributor on the correct end😎

• Like 1

Paul,  I've watch a few minutes of the live feed with Finnegan in the staging lanes.   I know a few fellows running in it this year.

I was at Norwalk a few years back when they came through Ohio.  I took my black car up to meet up with another FE buddy from up north.  I got pictures.
Jay Brown has a 511 ci EFI injected SOHC motor in his '64,  so I thought it would be cool to get pictures together.  His car ran 9.40's.  He also has two other cars he has run in Drag week and has won class before.

His car sounds weird with open headers.  Just like an old dump truck with a rusty muffler, literally.  Doesn't sound like it has the 900 hp that it does.

SDC10408.jpg

Your MPH sounds a bit slow for the ET.  Should be well into the mid 140 range.  She a little fat up top?  With a blower, if it was lean it would melt itself down.

I have some videos from the race last weekend, but they are on Karen's phone and I need to get them downloaded so I can post them.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

Larry

11 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Paul,  I've watch a few minutes of the live feed with Finnegan in the staging lanes.   I know a few fellows running in it this year.

I was at Norwalk a few years back when they came through Ohio.  I took my black car up to meet up with another FE buddy from up north.  I got pictures.
Jay Brown has a 511 ci EFI injected SOHC motor in his '64,  so I thought it would be cool to get pictures together.  His car ran 9.40's.  He also has two other cars he has run in Drag week and has won class before.

His car sounds weird with open headers.  Just like an old dump truck with a rusty muffler, literally.  Doesn't sound like it has the 900 hp that it does.

SDC10408.jpg

Your MPH sounds a bit slow for the ET.  Should be well into the mid 140 range.  She a little fat up top?  With a blower, if it was lean it would melt itself down.

I have some videos from the race last weekend, but they are on Karen's phone and I need to get them downloaded so I can post them.

Not lean I'm running old 8 school pinch tube Hilborn injectors under air hat and 8 Algon pulse injectors in the intake runners to the heads.1850 cam driven pump 1.250 feed line to 5/8 to the barrel valve and 5/16 to all the injectors. Runs slightly rich from idle to WOT. It runs out of gearing so I need to go taller on the tires or down to around 4:88 gears  right now is 5:13 . I flatten out about 5/8 to 3/4 track due to one or both of the mentioned issues. The Hoosers are 11 x 31.5 x 16 but don't grow as much as the Racemasters and Goodyears did but they do hook up better. 

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hossiers, want never forget, we had a set & didn’t know back then to check measurement (circumference?) around the tire. Anyways 1 tire was 5/8” taller. Car would leave toward guard rail. Hard to steer when front tires in the air for 60’. O what fun we had 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1965 said:

Hossiers, want never forget, we had a set & didn’t know back then to check measurement (circumference?) around the tire. Anyways 1 tire was 5/8” taller. Car would leave toward guard rail. Hard to steer when front tires in the air for 60’. O what fun we had 

Ordered 4 of my old reliable brand -- M&H Racmasters 12.2 x 33 x15 "Nostalgia" slicks. Sticky and good for 3500 lbs and under usually run 22 to 24 psi . No damn idea why I went to Hoosiers.

See how it runs Oct 5 & 6 at Silver Dollar strip in Reynolds Georgia M&H rubber and 4:88 in it with a 4:56 in the crate just in case.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Paul, I know most injected motors want a lean out valve for high gear as they are typically pretty fat on fuel.

I ran Goodyear for years, then switched to M/T.  I've run them for decades now.  I was running 29.5"x9" for years and rotated them every few races.  I then switched up to 29.5x10.5 and don't have to rotate them anymore.  I get three seasons out them now(compared to one with 9").  Just for giggles I swapped the 10.5" around.  Car suddenly started going left, HARD.   Yup, once front tires left the pavement, it would try to mow down photographers at the staring line.  I couldn't figure out what went wrong?  I finally swapped them back and all was well.  Guess 2 yrs is too long to wait to swap them side to side.

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

9 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Paul, I know most injected motors want a lean out valve for high gear as they are typically pretty fat on fuel.

I ran Goodyear for years, then switched to M/T.  I've run them for decades now.  I was running 29.5"x9" for years and rotated them every few races.  I then switched up to 29.5x10.5 and don't have to rotate them anymore.  I get three seasons out them now(compared to one with 9").  Just for giggles I swapped the 10.5" around.  Car suddenly started going left, HARD.   Yup, once front tires left the pavement, it would try to mow down photographers at the staring line.  I couldn't figure out what went wrong?  I finally swapped them back and all was well.  Guess 2 yrs is too long to wait to swap them side to side.

I ran Goodyears to about 1975 and have run M&H Racemasters since (45 years). Ran 11.5 went to 12.2. Have a new set of M&H 12.2x33 and a second set of 17x31.5. Both sets run up and lathe trued to 4500. 

Granted it is the first fuel engine I've run since the 70's but it is "old school" tech I.m familiar with. Fuel system for methanol-benzine always runs extremely lean so here's my set up basically copied from my 70's Alcohol engine.

Pump is mounted on the timing gear cover to run at half engine rpm. They increase volume per RPM up to 850 GPM at 7000 rpm  . The  injectors on the blower intake flow under the carbs flow 11.4 GPM and the eight injectors on the intake runners flow 13.4 GPM dyno set rich. It'll load up below 1600rpm  luckily the stick allow me to constantly clear it . The pair of 950 CFM 1 barrels are gutted and mainly there to meet the rules.

Gearing is the issue I'm touching red line at a bit before 3/4 track.

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 5 months later...

That’s weird ⬆️⬆️ (Not you Larry the odd one commenting on an obvious autocorrect mistake)

Edited by HeavyGunner

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

WTH?  Definitely SPAM!

My original post said NOTHING about 4 yr old kids.  The weird link has reviews about kids toys(I didn't click it, just put my pointer over it to see where it would go)

"They" only have a few posts in all the years here and most have some kind of link put into a quote from another person.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 2

Larry

Dang!!!  I missed the whole thing!

Good reminder that there is a "Report Post" button in the upper right if anyone sees some SPAM or other junk.  It will appear when you scroll over the "Share Post" icon also in the upper right of a post.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.