T310m on its way out

R.E.D

11 hours ago, R.E.D said:

I used a caliper micrometer to measure the ring and it was about 15mm .I built up the material in the fork and then ground it down to around 14.8 mm to give it some breathing room. 

The fork originally had a thickness of around 10.5 mm , those extra 4.5 was the needed push to make the low range clutch engage.

I’ll never doubt you again.....

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Love it when a plan comes together ! I have always wanted to try that however being in the Mack  business have never been able to try We are always expected to do it Properly and to sell the right parts to do the job correctly! Even new the clutch slot has lots of room for movement So building it up likley won't hurt anything other than the possibility of creating a hard area on the fork that could eventually break  How ever as Teck Said What do You have to loose! However you  may still have to do the reaction discs sooner or later! But your up and going and thats the name of the game!😎

Edited by fjh
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

RED.pdf 112.32 kB · 6 downloads

Buy the whole syncho unit unless the center plate teeth are pristine (which rarely is the case).  

The parts highlighted in yellow need to be replaced?does Pai have a whole assembly for sale?im trying my local mack dealership but I'm afraid all these parts would just add up to a reman unit.

31 minutes ago, R.E.D said:

The parts highlighted in yellow need to be replaced?does Pai have a whole assembly for sale?im trying my local mack dealership but I'm afraid all these parts would just add up to a reman unit.

I would, yes. Don't reuse snap rings.

If your paying shop labor rate a guy could easily end up with a reman.

Get your Mack dealer to quote it up as complete and then do the X-over to PAI and see if it's worth it. They have the whole unit part #'s.

A Mack mechanic who I most respect recently told me he's seeing quality issues with PAI transmission parts. Not PAI as a whole, but transmission. He's tracked his repairs and said longevity is falling short. I'm not so certain he's right or if it's a trend, I suspect high HP/high torque engines are becoming better tranny killers. Coincidently, I saw it too on one T318 trans I fixed last year. It was all PAI inside. The main shaft snap ring on the rear synchro shattered. That part doesn't receive torque regardless of engine size, it gets it's hits from the cylinder shift. I replaced the snap rings with Mack OE out of caution. I still like and use PAI so I'm only throwing that out in case someone else sees a pattern. It's the nature of the game to watch and mistrust the cheaper aftermarket so I'm not quick to hang them.         

Just made up a fresh batch of my Purple Kool Aid buddy....

Best tranny on earth.  

Told my wife when I die she needs to have me cremated and ashes finely homogenized into gear lube and installed in the drivetrain of a Gold Dog Superliner. Then my son is to drive across the country with it delivering Moxie to all the dry counties of this great nation. 

Thats how good a Mack tranny is....

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mack Technician said:

I would, yes. Don't reuse snap rings.

If your paying shop labor rate a guy could easily end up with a reman.

Get your Mack dealer to quote it up as complete and then do the X-over to PAI and see if it's worth it. They have the whole unit part #'s.

A Mack mechanic who I most respect recently told me he's seeing quality issues with PAI transmission parts. Not PAI as a whole, but transmission. He's tracked his repairs and said longevity is falling short. I'm not so certain he's right or if it's a trend, I suspect high HP/high torque engines are becoming better tranny killers. Coincidently, I saw it too on one T318 trans I fixed last year. It was all PAI inside. The main shaft snap ring on the rear synchro shattered. That part doesn't receive torque regardless of engine size, it gets it's hits from the cylinder shift. I replaced the snap rings with Mack OE out of caution. I still like and use PAI so I'm only throwing that out in case someone else sees a pattern. It's the nature of the game to watch and mistrust the cheaper aftermarket so I'm not quick to hang them.         

I would be doing the work myself..mack just quoted me 758 $for the synchro....parts guy said it covered parts 7 to 19 on the diagram I attached.not sure if that's all I would need...and it's not even here in houston.would take 4to5 days to get.

1 hour ago, david wild said:

Yep end the misery buy a fuller, spend have the money, last longer and shifts much nicer.  LKQ 18 fuller new out of the box just over 6k, I spent 6k just to repair a Mack trans and still hate it, plus clutch and install, all in around 9k , screw your Mack trans.  

You're right.i have done this in the past and it makes much more sense, but  I reckon I  ain't quite ready to part with this one yet.Besides loosing the multiple speed reverse , which is awesome on jobsites i would also need to get a reprogramed in order not to get any codes.also like I mentioned before , this transmission looks like a recent Weller reman that besides the synchro issue has never skipped a beat.

PS: also longer drive shaft since Eaton Fuller is shorter 

6 hours ago, R.E.D said:

I would be doing the work myself..mack just quoted me 758 $for the synchro....parts guy said it covered parts 7 to 19 on the diagram I attached.not sure if that's all I would need...and it's not even here in houston.would take 4to5 days to get.

They don’t make a complete kit for job, so be sure you get the full package as itemized parts. Some of those shifter seals are high dollar if they’re teflon. I wrecked one my last go round, bought another, then went and asked to use the compressing tool at the dealership. 

With that wait could as well be PAI.

Edited by Mack Technician

7 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Just made up a fresh batch of my Purple Kool Aid buddy....

Best tranny on earth.  

Told my wife when I die she needs to have me cremated and ashes finely homogenized into gear lube and installed in the drivetrain of a Gold Dog Superliner. Then my son is to drive across the country with it delivering Moxie to all the dry counties of this great nation. 

Thats how good a Mack tranny is....

If your wife soaks you in Moxie you'll come back to life better n new no need for  the BBQ box.

• Haha 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 1 year later...

So the Mack transmission is out and a rebuilt 8 low low is going to replace it..I know this topic has beaten to death in this site so I won't get into it.yet I have a couple questions.

Was told that these t3xx trans use the same pto as the eaton , not like the old t20xx trans that used different pto.IS THIS TRUE?

Also is the programming at mack for the eaton trans necessary to run? Or is it just for the speedo calibration?

Please advice.

RED

Edited by R.E.D

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 1:50 PM, R.E.D said:

So the Mack transmission is out and a rebuilt 8 low low is going to replace it..I know this topic has beaten to death in this site so I won't get into it.yet I have a couple questions.

Was told that these t3xx trans use the same pto as the eaton , not like the old t20xx trans that used different pto.IS THIS TRUE?

Also is the programming at mack for the eaton trans necessary to run? Or is it just for the speedo calibration?

Please advice.

RED

The side mount 6-bolt & 8-bolt PTO follow the SAE guidelines for both T300 and Eaton so you should be able to mount the PTO without issues. This was also the case for T200 (I thought). With manual transmission nothing needs to change for programming. The K-Factor etc will need to updated if you change out the axle ratio to read the road speed right.

• Like 1