Always Up - Autocar Trucks

kscarbel2

3 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Why???????  think  of what that cost vs any other chassis- sounds/looks like a truck designed by committee😎

Proximity to the AutoCar factory (less than 10 miles), perhaps department members worked there.  Hockessin operated several AutoCar chassis apparatus back in the day.

2 hours ago, GA_Dave said:

Proximity to the AutoCar factory (less than 10 miles), perhaps department members worked there.  Hockessin operated several AutoCar chassis apparatus back in the day.

No problem with it being an Autocar.  My point this  had to be a very expensive custom chassis- Have you ever seen an A-car configured like this?  If wheelbase was the issue, why not the Xpeditor cab-still sold by "Autocar". So agreed-turning radius had to  be great!  Just don't wipe anything out with that 5 or 6' of nose extending beyond  the front axle!

Like I said, this had to be a very expensive truck.   And 'Dave, you  are  fire professional- are not small department equipment purchases often done by a "truck committee"?

1 hour ago, Red Horse said:

No problem with it being an Autocar.  My point this  had to be a very expensive custom chassis- Have you ever seen an A-car configured like this?  If wheelbase was the issue, why not the Xpeditor cab-still sold by "Autocar". So agreed-turning radius had to  be great!  Just don't wipe anything out with that 5 or 6' of nose extending beyond  the front axle!

Like I said, this had to be a very expensive truck.   And 'Dave, you  are  fire professional- are not small department equipment purchases often done by a "truck committee"?

You assume it was an expensive chassis and I don't know that it was not, but I also don't know that it was.  Being a repeat local customer, they may have gotten a deal on it.  I don't recall seeing an AutoCar of this design before, but then pics of one similar has been posted since your comment, so maybe it isn't all that "custom".  I don't believe the Xpeditor is available with 4 wheel drive, at least I have never seen one.

Committee's are often how fire apparatus are spec'd.  I have seen many excellent rigs designed by those committees and I have seen some awful, dis-functional ones as well.  I have seen Chiefs do the same without a committee!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GA_Dave said:

You assume it was an expensive chassis and I don't know that it was not, but I also don't know that it was.  Being a repeat local customer, they may have gotten a deal on it.  I don't recall seeing an AutoCar of this design before, but then pics of one similar has been posted since your comment, so maybe it isn't all that "custom".  I don't believe the Xpeditor is available with 4 wheel drive, at least I have never seen one.

Committee's are often how fire apparatus are spec'd.  I have seen many excellent rigs designed by those committees and I have seen some awful, dis-functional ones as well.  I have seen Chiefs do the same without a committee!

For sure that log truck Bullhead posted looks like it has same "DNA"

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 7:22 PM, Red Horse said:

For sure that log truck Bullhead posted looks like it has same "DNA"

The truck part of this unit is similar to a fire truck I knew of many years ago (1980's), 6x6, may have been a '76 or'77 mdl year. If I recall, 8v-71, Allison [ believe it had retarder], Spokes and wide singles on all axles.

Looked like a good choice for the industry/location were it was at.