LTL, Superliner, or B-75

CaptainCrutch

Me and my dad aren’t really in the market right now but that doesn’t mean we’re not looking, nor does it mean we wouldn’t snag one up given the right deal.

We either want an LTL or a B-75 with the L cab, tractors, preferably with sleepers but that’s not a must. Not really picky about everything else, just as long as it doesn’t require a ton of work.

Edited by CaptainCrutch

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

48 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Either?  Why not get one of each??!!

Well for the right price we wouldn’t hesitate... the ultimate goal is to have a decent truck to haul the firetrucks, since firetrucks are geared to go fast in the city, not so much on the highway, and we’d like to be able to trailer them places without having to call 50 people we know with trailers to see if they’re not busy. That and we have a firm belief that why would anyone have a back yard when you could have a Mack yard.

• Like 1

Know what you are saying.  

Either the LT or B75 would be good.  Both are sharp looking trucks.  Only downside that I can think of that either model with a bunk have a pretty long wheelbase and a fairly large turning radius.  An R model with bunk could be slightly shorter and the cut angle of the front axle may be a little better.  Power or power assist steering would be a plus also.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Turning radius is not a problem, we’ve had a triaxel up here to trailer the L and we’ve had lumber trucks as well when we were building it back deck. Besides we’re not just in it for hauling the fire engines, we also just want a sharp semi that’d be fun to take to shows and drive around. One more thing to add is that we’d prefer a truck with a Mack motor.

Really the only requirement for them are they have to be tractors and the B-75 has to have an L cab, were cramped enough in the L cab I can only imagine the B cab. The others such as sleeper and Mack motor are just things we’d prefer. They don’t even have to look nice as we like a good petina look sometimes...

Basically what I’m saying is if either of these trucks come up for sale let me know, we’d really like a truck like one of these...

0351C372-F1AA-4FFE-8001-99A36F64F35C.jpeg

6E968E85-5057-4ECF-9479-D9E4AB9D52F1.jpeg

D89E5CFD-1DCD-43EF-8ACA-22BD4C26149C.jpeg

EF7718E5-10C2-416F-97FE-A30876671AFE.jpeg

That green and white LTL is actually perfect because it’s got a nice patina and it’s the colors of the firetrucks it’ll be hauling...

Edited by CaptainCrutch

On 7/6/2019 at 10:43 PM, j hancock said:

LT's were typically Cummins diesel or gasoline/butane equipped unless retrofitted.

B73 and B77 were also OEM Cummins diesel powered.  B75 were Mack diesel power.

Were there any LT's with Mack gasoline engine ever appeared on a scene? I think some of them leaved the factory at some time but I doubt I ever saw one or it was discussed on here.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

48 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

Were there any LT's with Mack gasoline engine ever appeared on a scene?

The Mack 707 gasoline engine and the Hall-Scott gasoline engine were both available for use in the LT models. 

I know we have talked about the Hall-Scott models a little.  I believe you are correct in never having a discussion about a Mack gasoline powered LT.

Jim

14 minutes ago, j hancock said:

The Mack 707 gasoline engine and the Hall-Scott gasoline engine were both available for use in the LT models. 

I know we have talked about the Hall-Scott models a little.  I believe you are correct in never having a discussion about a Mack gasoline powered LT.

I saw at least one LT or LTL with Hall-Scott at Macungie but don't remember seeing any with 707. So far an LT is out of my field of interest since my goal is all Mack. But those trucks look so beautiful so I would like to fill the niche. On the 3rd hand if I even get the interest it will too probably stay just a theory regarding to LT costs :)

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I have seen a couple Hall-Scott equipped Mack LT models.  I haven't seen a 707 powered LT in person that I can recall.  Years ago, I was shown an old fuzzy photograph purported to be an LT with a Mack motor but the truck was pretty messed up and I wasn't sure it was an actual LT.  I thought it looked more like an LH.

An LT painted army olive drab would fit in your collection!

• Like 1

Jim

This what you want?  It was in Hemming late last year.

2b4ec5e73834e93a1c0559b7ca829b-vi.jpg

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

We were thinking more of a smaller sleeper so we can over hang the ass end of of of the firetrucks over the front edge of the trailer without fear of it hitting the truck... just so we can get away with a 50’ Landoll for instance. The two trucks combined are just a little over 50’ If I remember correctly and obviously you don’t want them touching... and we’ve been talking and another truck that we feel like would fit what we want is a Superliner if any of those are for sale for a pretty good price... this has all come to light because we’ve been having problems getting the L places and it’d just be easier to have a truck and trailer so we’re not having to call up friends and dish out a few hundred dollars every time we want to take it somewhere, and it’d just be nice to expand our Mack collection...

• 3 months later...

Well dad saw this LTL today and just adored it, he also commented that a Superdog also caught his eye... so clearly he’s still very much looking at getting one of these! Like I said it’d be something nice to be able to haul the firetrucks to shows like this even when they’re not capable of reaching the destination under their own power, seriously I’m beginning to think we’re cursed or something, it’s one thing after another with these trucks!

A64C2995-8506-409F-A699-0FE1A1C479CC.jpeg
I also know that I was a personal fan of this B model that was there... aswell as the Superliner in the other pic, these are just ideas of what we’re looking for.

380E9F47-B417-43D8-BA28-BD940F8E4ADC.jpeg

A04AAF36-10C3-42CE-8A50-B434D0906879.jpeg

Edited by CaptainCrutch

• 3 months later...

Was talking to a guy recently who told me I should convince my dad to get a long nose Mack... if only he knew how many For Sale ads I send to my dad a week to see if he finds one he likes enough to bite on it. I'm still looking for a truck for myself...

• 2 weeks later...

Well now dad won't shut his mouth about how much he'd love a Cummins powered LT everytime we go to see the gas motor in the firetruck. Unfortunately the guy who gave us the 707 block has one and got my dad hooked on it. Looks like he'd still love a Superdog too as he sees it everytime we walk into the shop and I keep catching him eying it up...

• Like 1