Multi speed reverse

JoeH

I always assumed the 2 stick Mack trans was the only multi reverse speed trans, apart from Lolo/low/high. What other Mack transmissions can you shift gears in reverse? How recent have these transmissions been produced?

I run a concrete delivery company and multispeed reverse is King. My 8LL is junk, hangs up in gear for a second sometimes even when shifter is in neutral. 8ll is good 95% of shifts, other 5% it hangs up going in or out.

Even the air shifted single stick six speed Mack transmission can be shifted in reverse. TRDL-107A which is a very good transmission also.

I'm going to be pulling a TRDL-1071 from my R-795 pretty shortly. Nothing wrong with it but it needs to go to someone that can use it. 23:1 reduction in low gear. It is two stick.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

My mechanical e7-350 needs more than 6 gears, it's a dog at 40k-73,280 lbs on most of the hills here even with an 8LL. I'll keep the 8LL til it blows up, but we'll be building another truck in the next few years. Nice to know what options to look for.

15 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Yeah, it is old school.  Just agreeing that multiple reverse gears is nice to have.

Plus it is good to see the PAACAR crowd look at you funny when you shift a few times backing up.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

14 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

Plus it is good to see the PAACAR crowd look at you funny when you shift a few times backing up.

Lol someday soon modern trucker crowds gonna look at you funny for shifting gears period!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Lol someday soon modern trucker crowds gonna look at you funny for shifting gears period!

Whole new perspective on the term "Road Ranger" eh?

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

triaxle needs an 18 speed. 

Whhaaaaat?? Not around my town. I run a 15 mile (20-25 max) radius in central Bucks County in Pennsylvania. There's only a handful of roads in the area with 55mph speed limits, and I'm never on the PA turnpike.  PA triaxles gross at 73280 unless you're pulling a trailer then you're at 80k.  

I was more so thinking site work dump trucking not highway paving...

yea, site work you can get away with a 5 speed. buy if you try hitting the road you need a 13 minimum or better an 18 for the hills. nothing worse than catching a red light on the bottom of a hill and trying to get 80k moving up it and end up taking a mile to hit 35 mph. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..