First runs with my 55 Blown Chevy

41chevy

do you ever have any issues with the running e85 on carbs, esp during periods the car isn't driven much (ie winter) 

iv been playing a bit with blending e85 on my setup with good results but about a 30% blend of e85 and regular pump gas is about the most i can go without having re jet if i fill with straight premium and even if tuned for 30% its really rich if i fill with straight premium. i have considering trying to go straight e85 but worry about what it would do to my carb ect if it end up sitting a while with a tank full of straight e85

6 hours ago, Ezrider said:

do you ever have any issues with the running e85 on carbs, esp during periods the car isn't driven much (ie winter) 

iv been playing a bit with blending e85 on my setup with good results but about a 30% blend of e85 and regular pump gas is about the most i can go without having re jet if i fill with straight premium and even if tuned for 30% its really rich if i fill with straight premium. i have considering trying to go straight e85 but worry about what it would do to my carb ect if it end up sitting a while with a tank full of straight e85

The carbs are made to run up to 100% Alcohol with Holley kits. bodies are coated in Dupont Colar fuel proof heat bonded epoxy guts are  Viton power valves, needles and accelerator pump  diaphragms and the floats are nylon. The fuel pumps and all hoses are made for E85/ E100and all the feed lines are stainless steel. You may need to play with a power valve and accell cam and spring.

Ethanol will eat pot metal and some grade of aluminum so be warned. I used the same materials that the Flex Fuel trucks use. Personally I don't let it sit with Alcohol I drain them and run a 1/2 gallon of real gas through them . All Ethanol and methanol are hyroscopic, the one trick for street is to run Stabil Marine green and keep the tank totally topped up if it sits. Only issue I had this weekend was heat soak when I rans one run after the other. That I'll fix with a 3/8 inch phanolic spacer under the carbs Running a pair of 950 cfm 2 barrels. Got protested but they are legal being only 2 barrels the look like 4 barrels. Rules are single 4 barrel  or a pair of 2 barrels, I'm sure the rules will change next year because of me

150hiflowa-vi.jpg

1050hiflowb-vi.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

8 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Got protested but they are legal being only 2 barrels the look like 4 barrels. Rules are single 4 barrel  or a pair of 2 barrels, I'm sure the rules will change next year because of me

Local fellows that used to truck pull, had similar rules for S/S 4wd.  (1) four barrel.  Well they were one of the first around to have a big Dominator split in half and put inline on the custom intake.  Oh if that didn't get them Chebbys boys all in an up roar!!!!  They couldn't run with that small block Ford to begin with and then this?  Oh, the humanity!!!

Pretty ingenious carb.  Does Holley offer that over the counter?   I remember the 3 bbl version from way back.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

41 Chevy:   How do you feel about being Black Flagged for doing what you and your car have done to years?

I had the same situation several years ago at Vegas at the Hemi Shootout. My car has been a real race car since almost birth, 65 Plymouth SS, real factory lightweight, with all the updates including diaper, seat restraints, current dated harness, flexplate, etc. I have been drag racing since I was 17 and that was a long time ago with safety as paramount. They black flagged me for going TO FAST at a dragstrip. Haden't had the car out in years and was basically test and tuning just like you going FASTER every run and bumping at mandatory chute at 150mph, which I knew of, but car NEVER went 150. When I got called to the tower I said that and they did not want to hear it. My final test run was 9.32@147mph. So the old MOPAR was gettin it done and still had better ET to go. So was ALLOWED to enter elimination with with a 10.00 dial-in. Pedaled it with a 10.22 lost by .047 on purpose pulled right into the trailer and have NEVER been back to a strip. Fact is that it take a lot of time and money to have a competitive car pay all the BS fees to race then tell me I'm to fast...  even-though both me and the car have been racing for the past 35 years... WTF.   👎  👎

21 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Got protested but they are legal being only 2 barrels the look like 4 barrels. Rules are single 4 barrel  or a pair of 2 barrels, I'm sure the rules will change next year because of me

Totally old school but a pair of Predator one barrels on alcohol would certainly work. If I remember they were about 1000cfm. Rules are there for a reason, but the art of getting around them was been almost lost. I hate rules, then rules on rules, to stop what racing is all about, going FASTER, but with safety in mind. 

Edited by AZB755V8

We have a local NHRA track(National Trails) and they are the WORST for sticklers on rules.  We all joke about it, and luckily don't run there very often.

I've run the wagon there for decades, but every year they come up with something else in tech to question.  Usually just BS.  One year it was the front body mounts, they are open for access to the bolts right?  Ya, they told me to weld that shut because you don't want fire getting inside the car.  Say what?  Those pockets aren't open to the inside of the car stupid.  Then one year it was my battery box.  Alum box, bolted in the rear spare tire well with FOUR 3/8" bolts with washers and lock nuts.  He questioned it and warned that it might come loose and hit me in a roll over.  Say what?  They only mandate the battery to be held by TWO 3/8" bolts and for some reason FOUR isn't enough.   It just never ends.

My buddy just finished up the repower of his car.  It just went 9.001 at 150.  No license, no chassis cert, no parachute(not mounted yet).  No track has even questioned him or cared.  But he won't go to National Trails!   He just got the window net installed, so the car will be legal when he gets a chance to get it certified and make his license runs.

I get it, they'd rather have you have too much safety equipment then not enough.

Larry

On 6/30/2019 at 12:27 AM, 41chevy said:

105 + degrees at Richmond Speedway does interesting things to Alcohol .

Is that the old Richmond Dragway, kind of back behind the airport? I used to go there in the 70's, rt. 60 to Seven Pines, turn by the 7-11 store. Didn't know if it was still open or not.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

NHRA is a joke! The only thing that they want are the three PRO classes, alcohol dragster and funnycar look like on the way out, and the heck with everyone else why race? Racing what you got is what drag racing is all about. I could not agree more to having EVERY safety precaution on a 250mph plus car. But to harass every common weekend warrior about crap then say that will by $50 here, $100 more there, $200 need to fix that, to race on top of what it takes to have a really nice race car to begin with. Then the NHRA is wondering about low attendance for national events and why the common classes are shrinking.... it an't hard to figure out. A day at the track is a minimum of $500 for car, truck ,trailer, fuel, food, tires, fees and that is if nothing breaks to just go and run low 9's and have a little fun!! Oh, that is with $22,000 in just a good HEMI engine then plus the rest of the car and my time.

I street raced way back, so did my car, when and think it was one of the stupidest things I did in my youth. But where are guys suppose to race with all the BS with NHRA? There are the Demons, GT500's, Corvettes, and more that as advertised as sub 10 second cars off the showroom floor. Where can a guy run even these cars without ALL the stuff NHRA requires? Just me but.... just BS. 👎

Edited by AZB755V8

New cars have plenty of exempts on the safety equipment that is mandatory for an older car.  Roll cage, 5 pt harness,  diapers, etc.   They allow the new cars to run deep in the 10's without a lick of added expense(not that the car isn't expensive to begin with) because no one would run them if they had to cut them up to make them legal on the track.  That's why "Street outlaws' is so popular(not me).

I haven't watched a televised event in a long time.  Just doesn't do anything for me.  That goes for roundy round too.

I couldn't even imagine trying to run an NHRA event.  Ugh, my pockets ain't that deep.  But I'm just a bracket racer, thus I don't care how fast I am.  I tell everyone that if I was worried about being fast.... I wouldn't have started with a 4600# wagon!!!!

• Like 1

Larry

6 hours ago, Freightrain said:

New cars have plenty of exempts on the safety equipment that is mandatory for an older car.  Roll cage, 5 pt harness,  diapers, etc.   They allow the new cars to run deep in the 10's without a lick of added expense(not that the car isn't expensive to begin with) because no one would run them if they had to cut them up to make them legal on the track.  That's why "Street outlaws' is so popular(not me).

I haven't watched a televised event in a long time.  Just doesn't do anything for me.  That goes for roundy round too.

I couldn't even imagine trying to run an NHRA event.  Ugh, my pockets ain't that deep.  But I'm just a bracket racer, thus I don't care how fast I am.  I tell everyone that if I was worried about being fast.... I wouldn't have started with a 4600# wagon!!!!

Speaking of Richmond Dragway, some friends of mine from Powhatan put a 427 in a '67 Chevelle one time. I remember it had a cross-ram intake on it, the 2 carbs. sat kind of catty-cornered on it. First one of them i'd ever seen.

It was just something they put together, mainly for street racing- that was big in the 70's. They took it to Richmond to see what it would do, and the first trip out it turned a 12.04. I'm not sure why I remember this, but I do. The next pass was like an 11.99, and they wrote on their time slip that they were done- 12.00 was the cut-off point and they could not put that car on the track again until it had all the required safety equipment, roll cage, driveshaft loops, helmet, etc. when one pass previous they were legal and had zero safety equipment!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Yup, 11.99 is the NHRA cut off for roll bar, etc(I think IHRA is 11.49.  Yes they have different).  13.99 for convertibles.

Some tracks are a bit touchier about ET breaks then others.  Something bad happens and things can get ugly if the sanctioning body finds out you knew it was too fast, blah, blah, blah.
Yes, it's only .o1 of a second, but there has to be a cut off some place.

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

12 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Local fellows that used to truck pull, had similar rules for S/S 4wd.  (1) four barrel.  Well they were one of the first around to have a big Dominator split in half and put inline on the custom intake.  Oh if that didn't get them Chebbys boys all in an up roar!!!!  They couldn't run with that small block Ford to begin with and then this?  Oh, the humanity!!!

Pretty ingenious carb.  Does Holley offer that over the counter?   I remember the 3 bbl version from way back.

You can still get them but have deep pockets, list is $1449.00 each , I found a pair of Racingjunk.com for $700.00 and spent $80 E fuel kits for kits. I have 4 Holly 3bbls two 900 cfm's from Cotton Owens 1964 NASCAR Dodge one 750 on a Tarantula manifold from my 1971 Challenger and one NOS 950 for big block Ford, Mopar or GM.

9 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:
7 hours ago, other dog said:

Is that the old Richmond Dragway, kind of back behind the airport? I used to go there in the 70's, rt. 60 to Seven Pines, turn by the 7-11 store. Didn't know if it was still open or not.

and bumping at mandatory chute at 150mph, which I knew of, but car NEVER went 150. When I got called to the tower I said that and they did not want to hear it. My final test run was 9.32@147mph. So the old MOPAR was gettin it done and still had better ET to go. So was ALLOWED to enter elimination with with a 10.00 dial-in. Pedaled it with a 10.22 lost by .047 on purpose pulled right into the trailer and have NEVER been back to a strip. Fact is that it take a lot of time and money to have a competitive car pay all the BS fees to race then tell me I'm to fast...  even-though both me and the car have been racing for the past 35 years... WTF.   👎  👎

Up grading the roll cage makes sense and the chute makes sense because the car definitely is at the limit on brakes. The other stuff in a few words is F them. The car runs Nostalgia Gas Association rules so the will be legal with the cage mods and a small chute.

The tech guy looked me over on the way in and told me I would be lucky to break high 11's. He also laughed at my casters just below the rear bumper. Chevies weight is down to 2245 and it's a hardtop no less, BDS 8-71 496 big block running 28 psi boost through a race propped Super T10 with 20% set back to 1957 Oldsmobile 4:88 locker with quarter elliptic rear springs and home brew lock shocks" that limit suspension travel to 3 inches and with 31.5 inch tall slicks. The car is capable with more tire than 11 inches of tire of easily going deep into the 9's.

I'll be going through this again late this season or early next with my ex Mickey Thompson Titanium Pinto 1972 funnycar, set up for Nostalgia. Aside from the up grades to bring the chassis up to 250 mph specs and the Blown fuel Kaase 820 c.i. Boss 9 the balance is old school. I was already told if I run it I can only run 1/2 track so guess I'll only run full out on the last half.

5 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Yup, 11.99 is the NHRA cut off for roll bar, etc(I think IHRA is 11.49.  Yes they have different).  13.99 for convertibles.

Some tracks are a bit touchier about ET breaks then others.  Something bad happens and things can get ugly if the sanctioning body finds out you knew it was too fast, blah, blah, blah.
Yes, it's only .o1 of a second, but there has to be a cut off some place.

Roll bar is 11:39, cage is 9:99 and chute is 10:50

7 hours ago, other dog said:

All redone as a 350 mph pro track now. not for the regular people any more. Spent the entire day there and made 4 runs because the "professionals were testing there", so the nobodies had to bow out..

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

i wanna say it was 13.50 for a roll bar for convertibles, i looked it up somewhat recently. i plan on taking my convertible jag to the drag strip later this month, i am hoping they don't sweat me on it. car on paper could possibly run 11.1 ill be on a soft street tire not a drag tire so im hoping for a mid 12 with a 120mph trap speed. if it seems like they are going to give me a hard time about it i plan to try to get my 60' figured out the best i can coasting out the end of the track, then when i think iv got my 60' the best i can run it out take my time slip and go home....lol

ill probably end up putting a 4 point in the car at some point because well it would probably be smart but i will not be putting a nhra legal 5point in. not willing to have any bars into the front area of the car being its just a fun street car. never ran at the track i plan on going to so not really sure how much of sticklers there going to be. 

I remember when the fastest street car stuff was coming out in the 90's.  Buddy ran his 90 Mustang deep in the 10's with no cage, nothing but a shoulder belt and the track was good with it.  Not today.  Not with the world we live in now.

Watch your 1/8 mile times also.   There are cut offs for that also, so you definitely want to sandbag it til you want to get throw out LOL!  I'm sure the tech guys will realize you can go way faster then what you are telling them.

Larry

11 hours ago, Freightrain said:

I'm sure the tech guys will realize you can go way faster then what you are telling them.

im most worried that they won't let me run it at all knowing that ill break out. but i used to run low 12's at beach bend when i had my fox body and they never gave me any grief. ill be going on a test and tune day so im hoping that they will just overlook the fact its a convertible. i don't think ill go go sub 12's on street tires. ill be going to a track iv never been to before so i have no idea how picky there going to be. i do want to try to get at least 1 good pass in but im mostly wanting to see what it will mph out the big end.