Ezrider

took my jaguar to a autocross

Posted (edited)

iv been super busy sense spring started but starting to get a little bit of time now to catch my breath. trying to get some fun things squeezed in before winter is upon us again....lol never seems like summer last long enough. found out there is a number of local autocross events for this year so hey sounds like fun. lots of power on bone stock suspension should be perfect for a handling course....lol i have plans to try to take it to the drag strip next month. 

video for anyone that is interested. 

https://youtu.be/-IRX-SkCOQQ

Edited by Ezrider
  • Like 1

That was interesting and rewarding as I've done that in the past with a Volkswagen Scirocco in the late 1970's. Lot's of fun and as you found, one didn't need a lot of motor to race around parking lots. Used to bend that car so tight around pylons the inside rear tire would be almost 24" off the pavement but it stuck like glue and would not spin out. Eventually did put it on it's passenger side but it was rusty and parts used for another car. 

Jag sounds good.

• Like 1

yeah the power really wasn't much help to me..lol i suppose it might have made up some for the truck driver in me causing me to slow down way to early coming into the corners...lol was running the entire course in 2nd gear to help make the throttle a little less twitchy and help keep it planted. still had to be careful to roll into the throttle to keep it planted. it would be interesting to figure out the longest i was ever in the throttle couldn't have been much more than a couple seconds at a time. the car really did pretty good at staying planted even though it wallowed around like a boat. could defiantly use some stiffer springs and adjustable shocks if i actually cared about being competitive. 

i did a couple auto crosses probably had to be 15 years ago or better when i had a 79 datsun 280zx. i really forgot just how fun it was. 

Find out how to temporarily increase the positive camber and retain the caster angles along with toe in while in "track mode" along with very low profile wide base tires too. Stiffer shocks, and fat "sway" bars, (front and rear) will get you needing a five point harness to keep your ass planted in the seat. On short autocross tracks it's all in being able to get around the pylons in the least amount of time rather than your fastest top speed.

I had a 1969 Datsun 2000 and it would stomp all over both my 1975 Datsun 260Z, and 1980 280Z cars. The Datsun 1600, and 2000 were the predecessors to the Z car and started Datsun on the performance segment. The 2000 did quite well in the slalom, and the autocross circuit, but I was amateur in all aspects driving the car(s) to the events where other's came on trailers and followed the circuit. Any of those three would best my 69 Camaro on the track however.

In those days JC Penney allowed SCCA to set up in their parking lot and the track was just shy of .8 miles for a full start to finish. 45mph was fast but it was physically demanding to get through on equipment and drivers.

• Like 1

Is there anything Rob doesn't know how to do? 🤓

Yes rob you are very clever god love ya...bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looks like fun. Blower whine sounds awesome. 

• Like 1