100 Years Limited Edition Mack.

4 hours ago, terry said:

Are the macks for Australia made there? And are they part of the Volvo group?    terry:MackLogo:

YES, to both Questions.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

19 minutes ago, 1965 said:

I really like the chu trucks; why the couldn’t of made ch700, like the older R models? Put a little more hood on it for bigger hp!

They make bigger trucks for the Australian market because their gross weights are significantly heavier than the American 80,000 lbs. No matter how you cut it, 90% of the American market only needs a 13L engine in an aero package. That's what sells.

Edited by Oso2

10 hours ago, Oso2 said:

They make bigger trucks for the Australian market because their gross weights are significantly heavier than the American 80,000 lbs. No matter how you cut it, 90% of the American market only needs a 13L engine in an aero package. That's what sells.

Yes most only need 13L but i read somewhere that half of all american class 8 trucks sold today still have a 15L engine so mack is only competing for 50  % of the total market ,no wonder why they only are getting 5-6 % market share.  . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1965 said:

I really like the chu trucks; why the couldn’t of made ch700, like the older R models? Put a little more hood on it for bigger hp!

I agree put this grill on a chu stretch the hood of it and bingo you have a  superliner 3 offer the mp8 and cummins  x15 or a (scania v8 ) 😉

• Like 1

The long hood already exists, in either CL or Titan shapes. All that's required is the initiative to build it, but given that it would compete with the Volvo VNX with the Cummins X15, I doubt we'll see it. And the last thing we'll see in a Mack is a Scania engine, more likely we'll see Scania engines in the next generation Internationals.

• Like 1

IIRC Volvo bought White out of bankruptcy, and would have been nice if the bankruptcy court would have preferred an American based owner. That said, there may have been no American based offers that were competitive. Mack was a very successful enterprise when Renault bought it, and Renault treated Mack as an equal and took advantage of the synergies the acquisition offered. Volvo had a different attitude, seems they view Mack as a competitor to be sabotaged.

The day that the Mack board let Renault in, is the day Mack was not Mack anymore. If Mack was so well run why did they need Renault? Mack needed money that is why. Why did it take so long for the CV to come out? Why did they not build a SFA CL600-CL700 Superliner replacement? Why did they not build the CA600 (slope front)? Why did Mack (Renault)  never build a baby 8 truck like the Ford LTS 8000, which I see many still on the road running today 22 years after Ford quit? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TS7 said:

The day that the Mack board let Renault in, is the day Mack was not Mack anymore. If Mack was so well run why did they need Renault? Mack needed money that is why. Why did it take so long for the CV to come out? Why did they not build a SFA CL600-CL700 Superliner replacement? Why did they not build the CA600 (slope front)? Why did Mack (Renault)  never build a baby 8 truck like the Ford LTS 8000, which I see many still on the road running today 22 years after Ford quit? 

I disagree, because I was there and know.

We needed a partner. And as John Curcio accurately stated of Renault,  "They came to the party in 1983 when nobody else loved us."

Elios Pascual was as fine an individual as you could every know, and he cared about Mack Trucks.

• Like 2

I did not say Renault was not good to Mack. But the cold truth is Mack was not making money the way they were run. Why should someone invest in a business that was not making money? Mack is owned by Volvo today because it was not making money. 

I was at my local Mack parts counter. We had a brief discussion about Renault and Volvo. He said it wasn't bad when Renault owned Mack but he said Volvo sucks. It seems to be the general consensus and I'll agree Volvo SUCKS. It appears to me Volvo is using Mack as a punching bag to keep the market share the name brings.   

• Like 1

Mack 11E.jpg

1 hour ago, TS7 said:

I did not say Renault was not good to Mack. But the cold truth is Mack was not making money the way they were run. Why should someone invest in a business that was not making money? Mack is owned by Volvo today because it was not making money. 

Because of potential. Not making money means the stock value could be undervalued. A tweak here and there and getting the right people into management can turn a money loser into a winner.  Also, products that are so good they never fail or can be fixed by anyone tend to run manufacturers out of business, because then they have to sell lots of trucks to compensate for not selling parts. But many people can't afford new trucks and buy used.

Apart from elephant pads and a thermostat and brakes and a couple hubs my 95 rd688s e7-350 hasn't needed a thing since we bought it in 2007. Had the valve covers off once to check valve adjustments and that's it. 19,007 hours on the motor. Mack/Volvo doesn't make money on that.

• Like 1

It wouldn't be surprised if the workers in Macungie show up for work one day and the gate is locked without any warning. Get your tools and go home. I've seen it happen to many times to US Industry. I hope the day never comes but it wouldn't be surprised at all if things got tough I wouldn't doubt Volvo to bail on Mack.

Mack 11E.jpg