Tire irons

JoeH

saw a kid use something like this once.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200707991_200707991?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive > Tire Equipment&utm_campaign=ESCO&utm_content=66420&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi43oBRDBARIsAExSRQFQe_Ans-y00s3dADGXse-agneZOoZ6Eno3i1yxzk-U_QH4qI5SrHoaAvx9EALw_wcB

He weighed maybe 90 lbs wet, and was may be 5`6". Popped tires off and on 11r22.5 rims like they were nothing. Anyone use something like this for their tires? We have the spoons and all, but I wouldn't mind something quicker and with less effort.

I used a tire service that used one on my M917, I was impressed.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The shop I got 4 tires from last month used one and they made it look like nothing to mount tires.

But the reality is there is a skill to it. At another shop I watched two guys mount my 4 tires. The old guy mounted his two, did the third and then helped the kid who was still struggling with his first tire.

I use one. The original is called the Golden Tire Tool or something like that. They work awesome. Once you get the hang of the way it works I can dismount a tire in less than a minute easy. Their mounting tool works awesome too. Easily worth the money considering how much it costs now to get rubber changed and how slow they are. 

I use this style of tool and can attest it’s super simple and very fast and easy to pull a tire off of the rim.  I would highly recommend these to anyone  

https://jmcautomotiveequipment.com/esco-70100-demount-truck-tire-tool-easy-way/?dfw_tracker=17151-172550&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjKiqydfq4gIVj_5kCh1YMwXLEAQYCyABEgK73_D_BwE

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

I used one like that and I changed at least 6 to 8 tires a week worked good use the tire lube. When it's 0 outside those tires get to be hell to change. you would be smart in getting the cheeta air tank for inflating the tire and maybe a cage for safety sake I lost a friend when he was adding air to an already Inflated tire . I just lost a coworker that I worked with one that always gave me a hand nice guy he got killed when a rolloff compactor slid down and got him sad loss. Let's be very carefull out there.

Are used to work in a truck tire shop in the 70s it’s a lot of work took a long time to train for it I was always 17 but yes it’s hard work with the right tire tools you still have to be in good shape...bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being in shape isn't an issue, I'm used to throwing concrete around and mechanicking. 

To be honest I don't even know what my local truck tire shop charges, it's not much if anything. Mostly it's just the down time waiting an hour for them to get a few done while I could be on to other things if I wasn't 20 minutes from our shop. The old spoons we have work fine, but this kid I saw stuck his golden rod or whatever in the tire and just walked across the tire and it pretty much just popped off.

Edited by JoeH

Being in shape isn't an issue, I'm used to throwing concrete around and mechanicking. 
To be honest I don't even know what my local truck tire shop charges, it's not much if anything. Mostly it's just the down time waiting an hour for them to get a few done while I could be on to other things if I wasn't 20 minutes from our shop. The old spoons we have work fine, but this kid I saw stuck his golden rod or whatever in the tire and just walked across the tire and it pretty much just popped off.

Yes I agree guys that do it all the time they make it look easy The split rims were a little more work ...bob

23 hours ago, mowerman said:

They don’t charge that much to change them out you’re better off to just pay

$45 to swap tires here. That's just crazy. Plus they charge shop supplies and also valve stems are not included. My buddy just had a flat repair done and it cost $79. 

$44.00 here plus stems if needed. I couldn't break an 8.25X15 LPT tire down with a hammer myself, so took it in and they charged me $22.00, (well earned) to dismount the junk tire. I had the rim blasted clean and mounted up new flaps, tubes, and tires myself. The other seven weren't too bad to work with, but that one was more manly than I.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

When I'm buying tires for the fleet {65 tractors, 96 trailers} the price includes mounting. I've spent too many years working the floor as a mechanic, I haven't and won't bust tires, silly to have mechanic busting tires.

• Like 1

One ping only

$45 to swap tires here. That's just crazy. Plus they charge shop supplies and also valve stems are not included. My buddy just had a flat repair done and it cost $79. 

Like that one fella mentioned it all depends on if you don’t mind doing it and have the time it’s just easier and faster to pay and get it done when I do my split rims and tube type friend of mine said he would lend me the tire tools so I will probably do my own but it’s been 46 years since I’ve done them but yes I like to do as much as I can especially when there’s no rush I might get lucky and find ten 10-20s already mounted on tubeless rims lol...let’s see what happens fortunately they still use them on container chassis and they have gone to tubeless on them...bob